• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I bought one for my son 2 yrs ago and we love it. Great shooting gun with the 10 rd metal mags. Do not buy a 30 rd plastic mag, they will not feed more than 1 or 2 rds before jamming. I had it up in Wisconsin earlier this summer and was hitting a gong at 200 yrds. My BIL, who is a retired Army Ranger couldn't believe it shot that well (course the truth is we were using a scope on it). :yesway::yesway: 2 thumbs up from me.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i bought one it was an ok 22. as wtfd661 said i had problems with feeding issues with the 30 round mags.i prefer the ruger 10/22 due to more options of modifying it anyway you choose.my 2 favorite 22's i have now are my gsg-5 and colt m4 in .22lr.i rarely have feeding issues with them(using federal ammo).and their fairly accurate.but the 597 isnt a bad gun.im just not a fan of having to reload the 10 round mags as often.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site

I chose to get a Remington 597 .22,
    It was time to give the ol Western Field a rest..It has served well.

I purchased the synthetic stock version with extra goodies for 140.00
    I havn't seen alot of mods or upgrades for it yet but im not really lookin myself. The rifle functions great and was completely reliable and very accurate.
    The 10 rd mags functioned flawless but the the 30's game me some trouble but seems to be fine now.

Very nice for the price.

:twocents:

:ar15: . .... . . . ]\ INDYK

deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    I had a 597 for a few years and it was an ok gun. fairly accurate and a good trigger. I was not a fan of the magazines as they ALL had trouble (i bought more and always had feeding problems in both the 30s and regular 10s). needless to say i now have a marlin model 60 and cold not be happier. more accurate, tube fed, and cheaper!

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just picked one up last week, I couldn't pass it up for the price ( $169.99 at Dick's, plus I had a $20 coupon). I've only shot about 50 rounds from the factory 10rd mag but didnt have any problems. cant comment on accuracy as I was using those 50rds to zero the scope that came with it, but the last mag was very consistent at 75 yrds.

If you want to modify check out the Promag archangle stock or Center balance Systems bull pup stock ( I posted earlier this week)

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    they are nice little rifles...but I had feeding issues with mine due to the mags,once the mags where broke in a bit and I polished the mag "lip" a bit I didnt have much problem shooting anything out of it. good firearm.
    I am also a fan of the marlin model 60..they are excellent little rifles with very few issues.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I got one for my daughter when she turned 13, she will be 18 very soon. It has seen at least 5krds(all types) most likely more. She has a couple Rem 30rd mags and a couple pro mag(I think) and all function very well. It still has the cheap little scope that it came with and it still holds the original zero. Best $150 gun we have.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have had mine for about two years. The only problem I have had is with the mag that came with the rifle. Also the 30 round plastic mags are not worth a damn. Other then that it has been a great accurate rifle. I only payed $129 for it. Yes there are not as many aftermarket parts. I personaly like keeping my guns stock for the most part. Infact I would like to have another. Gander had one with a digital camo stock, and fiberoptic sights.

yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    so far i have had the marlin 60, rem 597, and the 10/22. i personally like my 597 a lot better out of the bunch. it is more accurate and overall most balanced, this is just from my experience. bought mine for $115 five years ago without a scope so i put a nikon prostaff on it. kinda expensive for the gun but dont reget it a bit. i had probs with the 30 mags as well. pitched em. had to buy a new extractor after using them. overall i love it.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    The 597 is nice, I got one for $40 recently and all I had to do was clean it. Must have been the first time it was ever cleaned! :D Nice big iron sights on it.

Also, I must be the luckiest guy on earth, because the 30rd mags have worked for me. I got the Remington brand, maybe that makes a difference.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Ditto those above. I have one with a 3x9 scope and have had no issues with it at all. I think it is a good value for the money. have not tried the extended mags and don't think I will based on the comments from everyone that has tried them.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    The 597 is a great value in a .22. Very accurate, light, handy. Two bolt rails and a buffer. Nice touches. Mine is new enough to have the 3rd gen. mags. Absolutely no issues at all.

I installed a VQ hammer in my 597, floated the barrel. Other than that, mine is stock. I found a great deal on a Boyd's "seconds" stock and installed it. Made the rifle look so much nicer, but it was kinda heavy and that took away from the original purpose of the rifle. I put the old stock back on, and sold the Boyd's.

Mine likes GB and Yellowjackets.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The 597 is nice, I got one for $40 recently and all I had to do was clean it. Must have been the first time it was ever cleaned! :D Nice big iron sights on it.

Also, I must be the luckiest guy on earth, because the 30rd mags have worked for me. I got the Remington brand, maybe that makes a difference.

I bought a Remington 30 round mag, still did not work worth a damn.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    My Dad has one. The only time it has jammed is with the Remington Golden bullets other than those it will feed anything. Never tried the 30 rnd mags but both factory 10 rnders work fine. The rifle is really nice to shoot and is very accurate.

Top Bottom