• ...and so much more!
  • Memphis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    Hey guys!

I just bought a new Remington 597 .22 lr. I had heard that there were a few bugs in the earlier models and that they have been worked out. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make this a better rifle than it already is.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I bought my son a Remington 597 a couple of years ago and its been a great gun. We haven't had to do anything to it, shoots great. We use the Federal 550 bulk pack .22 LR.

Congrats, its a really fun gun to shoot.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    My Daughters is great as well.

We took it apart and sanded down the areas in the stock that touched the barrel to float it. Topped it with a scope, added QD posts and a sling. Plan to paint it this winter and maybe do some work on the trigger.

Only issue we had was sigthing in the iron sights, they are a bit large for .22lr and as I recall we damn near ran out of space to slide the rear sight down low enough. Non issue though it worked and I really do like those sights.

Memphis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    That's wierd that a remington rifle doesn't like the ammo that Remington makes for it. LOL! Thanks for the heads up. I just bought 3000 rounds of Federal HP copper plated so I hope I'm safe.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    That's wierd that a remington rifle doesn't like the ammo that Remington makes for it. LOL! Thanks for the heads up. I just bought 3000 rounds of Federal HP copper plated so I hope I'm safe.

The Remington bulk shot with no problems. I think it's just the Golden bullet. They are loosely crimped, and that may be why.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Remington makes 30 round mags for the 597 now!

I tried one of the 30 round mags, and had nothing but problems. It would cycle the first 3-4 rounds good then jam. Fire a round then jab. I wound up trading it back for a 10 round. I know some other companies make them, but not very many. The local shop sales them, I may give it one last chance.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Ours will cycle the remington bulk which is good because I am trying to use it all up as it does not work worth a crap in our handguns.

Switched over to Federal for the do all ammo in all guns.

I am going to test a few 30 round mags next weekend at a family shoot.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I tried one of the 30 round mags, and had nothing but problems. It would cycle the first 3-4 rounds good then jam. Fire a round then jab. I wound up trading it back for a 10 round. I know some other companies make them, but not very many. The local shop sales them, I may give it one last chance.

My 30 rounders work well, but they are more like 27 rounders. :D

Memphis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    Hey Fella's!
    Sorry it's been a while. I had some personal things going on, but I did buy the 597 and I bought a 30 round mag and both work great. I also got on rimfirecentral.com and everyone there said that the 597 loves the federal copper plated hp's and they are right. I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have shot CCI mini-mags, velocitors, stingers, Remington sub sonic, vipers, yellow jackets, and bulk no problems with any. Just the golden bullets.

Top Bottom