• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I recently picked up an 11-87 Special Purpose from another INGO member. It has a 21" rem-choke barrel with a scout type mount as opposed to a cantilever style mount. The barrel is made by Remington. I have never seen a barrel with a mount like this and havent been able to find any info on the net either. Has anyone else ever seen an 11-87 barrel like this?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IIRC the old style cantilever bbl could be modified for a scout scope (looks like it can with just long rail removal).

PICT2462.jpg

870oldcantilever2011%20011.JPG

Last edited:

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    IIRC the old style cantilever bbl could be modified for a scout scope (looks like it can with just long rail removal).

PICT2462.jpg

870oldcantilever2011%20011.JPG

This barrel looks nearly identical to mine except that mine is matte finished and is missing the long rail. Is this a Remington made barrel in your pics? If so, do you know when Remington made these, and is the long rail difficult to find.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The first cantilever barrels Remington made were of this design. Matte finish means yours was probably a Special Purpose barrel.
    The rail I think was slotted for a ring different than that of the "Weaver" (was of cross slot design but different dimension).
    The barrels came with rings.

My buddy bought one of the first ones. Been a while so not certain on the rings.

GB or Ebay might have the rail, if not maybe Remington still has some. FWIW the rail has a rubber bumper on the bottom at the back, the rail flexes a lot. For a cantilever rail bbl, I think the newer design better.

Kinda like that older barrel, I'd find out what 1" ring worked and run it as a scout type setup with a fixed 2X Leupold EER and use it for turkeys and deer (with choke tube changes).

ELMO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I have the same tpye of shotgun with same scope rail mounting (cantilever barrel). I traded for the gun and it didn't come with rings. I found that Numrich had them to fit this rail and now the shotgun is scoped, and is my number one deer gun for firearms season...So if anyone has a gun part that is hard to find, do a search on the Numrich web site, it worked out for me...

Top Bottom