• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Picked up a very lightly used Remington 700 VTR in .223 today. I've got a cheapo 4-14x scope to use on it until I can get some decent glass on there, but I really have no clue what to look for in a scope. Will be used purely for target shooting, probably never anything longer than 400 yards. Any recommendations?

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Prefer dialing.

Umm.....no more than $400. Prefer less (I'm cheap :D).

Saw a BSA 6-24x today for $199. don't know the quality of those though.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Just looking through the Vortex site quickly, I like these:

Crossfire 6-24x50 AO
    Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO
    Viper 6.5-20x50 PA (a bit out of my previously stated price range)

But again, I really have no idea. :)

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Just looking through the Vortex site quickly, I like these:

Crossfire 6-24x50 AO
    Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO
    Viper 6.5-20x50 PA (a bit out of my previously stated price range)

But again, I really have no idea. :)

Vortex is a best value for the dollar IMO. That goes from their entry level all the way up to their top tier offerings.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the viper is probably one of the best bang for you buck optics on the market today. very good glass, perfect tracking, best warrenty in the business. if you go to the 44mm instid of the 50 it gets pretty close to your pricerange (429)

the new crossfire line is not out yet. i hope to have them in a month or so. you can still buy some of the discontinued old crossfire line. i personally only have 1 left. its a 6-24 illuminated mildot reticle. its the 30mm tube version. it will track well enough out to 400, but i wouldn't trust it dialing out to 1000 and have it return to exact zero. same warrenty as the above scope, good glass (not as good as the viper but very usabable). it runs 165

the new crossfire line i have high hopes for. i should have some to test in a few weeks, and when i do ingo will be the first to know. i wont vouch for a scope until ive played with it but as i said i have high hopes.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Thanks for your help 42769vette, I'll look forward to seeing your reviews/opinions on the new crossfire line. I won't be in the market for anything for 2-3 weeks at least anyway.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Here's the cheapo ($79.99 I think) walmart scope I threw on it for now (had bought it for my Savage Mark II FV that's still sitting in layaway).

We'll see how this works. If I'm lucky maybe I can sneak to the range tomorrow between rounds of thunderstorms.

Center Point
    4-16x40mm
    Illuminated Mildot
    Tool free windage/elevation
    Adjustable objective
    Leupold one piece Rem 700 short action base and rings

photo10.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Here's the cheapo ($79.99 I think) walmart scope I threw on it for now (had bought it for my Savage Mark II FV that's still sitting in layaway).

We'll see how this works. If I'm lucky maybe I can sneak to the range tomorrow between rounds of thunderstorms.

Center Point
    4-16x40mm
    Illuminated Mildot
    Tool free windage/elevation
    Adjustable objective
    Leupold one piece Rem 700 short action base and rings

photo10.jpg

yes centerpoint is a walmart scope. they are not the worst cheapo scope on the market, but they sure arn't the best either. let me know if i can be of any more assistance

arbys1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm particularly fond of NIKON their BDC reticles are very simple to use & the piece da resistance NIKON spot on ballistic software. Free online or a downloadable app for your smart phone you'll be snipeing long range melons in no time flat. The apps like 5 bucks but once you check it out you'll feel like you stole it.

Side bar: there is a free ballistic calculator on android market called strelok its nowhere near as intuitive as NIKON's software, but it offers something like 200 different reticles. Just alittle more ballistic knowledge is required to utilize it properly. Pretty slick stuff.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm particularly fond of NIKON their BDC reticles are very simple to use & the piece da resistance NIKON spot on ballistic software. Free online or a downloadable app for your smart phone you'll be snipeing long range melons in no time flat. The apps like 5 bucks but once you check it out you'll feel like you stole it.

Side bar: there is a free ballistic calculator on android market called strelok its nowhere near as intuitive as NIKON's software, but it offers something like 200 different reticles. Just alittle more ballistic knowledge is required to utilize it properly. Pretty slick stuff.

im the exact opisite. i like nikon scopes but their bdc reticle is stupid. why would i want to aim with a circle for shooting long range. the circle covers a large area. i like to aim at a specific point not a area. when you actually look at a melon at long range you will see what im talking about. a melon will be smaller than the circle andyou will be trying to center the melon in the circle instid of aiming at the center of the melon.

ballistic calculaters are over rated. the best ballistic calculator in the world is going out and shooting at x range and seeing what your gun, you ammo etc do at said range.

arbys1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    im the exact opisite. i like nikon scopes but their bdc reticle is stupid. why would i want to aim with a circle for shooting long range. the circle covers a large area. i like to aim at a specific point not a area. when you actually look at a melon at long range you will see what im talking about. a melon will be smaller than the circle andyou will be trying to center the melon in the circle instid of aiming at the center of the melon.

ballistic calculaters are over rated. the best ballistic calculator in the world is going out and shooting at x range and seeing what your gun, you ammo etc do at said range.

I understand where you're coming from. But each circle contains 2 crosshairs one on top of the circle & one on the bottom. The left right sides of the circles offer windage correction. The circles themselves offer unobstructed view of your Target especially nice if said Target is on the move.

Furthermore if you set the ballistic calculator correctly zero: weather temp pressure altitude wind cartridge & scope to bore distance. And shot: weather temp pressure altitude wind. Then you have very effectively taken away a lot of the variables that most novice long distance shooters have issues with. It instills confidence in the novice. Takes most of the guess out of the shot. And provides the dope for follow ups. Plus its fun to play with.

I definitely agree NIKONs system isn't for everyone but for a novice just getting into long range shooting for around $200-$300 you get a complete long range optical system that can be easily self taught in a weekend.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    do you have a link to this reticle. basicaly you are saying there are 4 or 5 circles with 2 crosshairs in each?

I understand where you're coming from. But each circle contains 2 crosshairs one on top of the circle & one on the bottom. The left right sides of the circles offer windage correction. The circles themselves offer unobstructed view of your Target especially nice if said Target is on the move.

Furthermore if you set the ballistic calculator correctly zero: weather temp pressure altitude wind cartridge & scope to bore distance. And shot: weather temp pressure altitude wind. Then you have very effectively taken away a lot of the variables that most novice long distance shooters have issues with. It instills confidence in the novice. Takes most of the guess out of the shot. And provides the dope for follow ups. Plus its fun to play with.

I definitely agree NIKONs system isn't for everyone but for a novice just getting into long range shooting for around $200-$300 you get a complete long range optical system that can be easily self taught in a weekend.

arbys1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea its just NIKON.com I belive. Maybe Google NIKON spot on. Sorry I'm still learning the INGO site I'm not to sure how to post links & stuff. Give me till the end of day, I'm addicted to this site. Finally have people to speak my language with.:):

Top Bottom