• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddudeck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm interested in getting back into reloading (and want to support local shops). I'll be reloading both rifle and pistol.
    Which shops in central IN (indy/greenwood) have a good selection and decent prices?
    Thanks for you suggestions!

dleeharrison

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    I frequent Plainfield Shooters Supply. I purchase powder and primers from Plainfield. As for bullets - I cast my own for 38 SPL, 357 Magnum, 44-40 WCF, 45-70. I purchase brass from auctions held on "Gunbroker.com". As for dies and reloading equipment, I purchase the items from the internet. There is a big price difference between the stores and the internet. Another favorite isn Midwayusa.com for relaoding "stuff".

I recycle a lot of used brass - I relaod at lower powder levels both to conserve powder and brass. I also scavanging spent bullets at various ranges where I recover the lead and recast into bullets.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    wELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!!! It sounds like you need to head over to The Outdoorsman. They have about everything you will need, including a knowledgeable staff. What will you be loading?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I know you "want to support" local dealers, but...

IMHO: Unless it is primers (and even then), local dealers tend to be MUCH higher than online. They are good for folks that intermittantly load, sort of a "hey Ma, I loaded 100 rounds", then go back to shooting factory stuff. Plainfield is decently priced, their powder is good in pricing, primers, "meh". I do not like the Outdoorsman, I walked in there once and almost died from the pricing they were throwing (granted, at the tail end of the Panic, but still...).

Unfortunately the days of Star Reloading and such are gone. I think instead of a myriad of new GUN stores in Indy, one small, decently stocked RELOADING store would be great!

Last edited:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    DH is right, the price at Outdoorsman, tends to be a couple of dollars higher than PSS. I factor in gas and time, I'm in Greenwood a lot so thats the store of choice for me. It would be nice if when they open the new Beech Grove Firearms store, they had a selection of reloading goodies.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The Indiana Gun Club, up near 113th and Olio rd., is supposed to be CHEAP on powder, according to some people here, I haven't been up there, so I don't know for a fact... I would say, if you want to buy in bulk, all at once, it may well be worth the trip...

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    IGC and Atterbury are good on primer and powder pricing. I bought a 4lb jug of powder for $2 more than an online vendor has it priced for. IMO, that's a great price locally. Primers were $135/5k.

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    plainfield shooting supply has decent prices on primers, if you are not wanting to purchase in bulk, their prices are good enough to make it worth it, since you save the hazardous shipping fees.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I made it to Atterbury yesterday and loved the pricing I saw. 29/1000 or 135/5000 on primers and just about any 1# can of powder was $20-$25 and 8# jugs were $130-135. Plus they had everything I was looking for, Varget, HS-6, 8208, etc...

ctomuir

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    North West Indianapolis
    Plainfield shooting supply for powder and primers is ok,I have seen me sometimes going to gander mountain looking for a specific powder,
    Other than that sorry to say best value for your money I think Midway USA, shipping costs are cheap, and they all most always have it in stock.

Reloader

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Just a note on the internet ordering...when getting primers or powders don't forget to add the $25.00 dollar hazmat fee plus the additional shipping cost. What appears high locally at your favorite store is not always the case when you look at the total of your internet shopping cart..just before hitting submit

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    What ever happened to A to Z Reloading that was located in Indy right behind the Chrysler foundry? I thought that when they closed up there a number of years ago they were relocating to somewhere in the western part of the state - anyone know where?

Top Bottom