• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cprbycps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    I have a Lee progresive press and have used it for several months now with no problems. I do have a question for those of you with more expereiance in reloading. I shoot 9mm through my Baretta modle 92 with no problems. My borther-in-law has a S&W 9mm and has problems with shell ejection. Should I increase the powder weight to solve this problem?

:dunno:
    chuck

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    My borther-in-law has a S&W 9mm and has problems with shell ejection.chuck

is he limp wristing? these guns are not exactly the best running guns on the market to begin with...(assuming its the sve servies not the M & P)

i run a just above min load that works w/ my stock glock and any other quality 9mm.

does his gun run w/ factory ammo?
    are you using the correct powder?
    what powder? what bullet? what charge?

we really need MUCHO more info to assist you in this.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    Another question - do you use the Lee taper crimp die as your last step? Again, much more info is needed to trace the problem. Just has been my experience that some chambers are tighter than others and nothing can cause fits like a funky crimp in a tight gun. The Lee taper crimp die does, in my opinion, as close to a perfect job as you can get.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Lee FCD

Another question - do you use the Lee taper crimp die as your last step? Again, much more info is needed to trace the problem. Just has been my experience that some chambers are tighter than others and nothing can cause fits like a funky crimp in a tight gun. The Lee taper crimp die does, in my opinion, as close to a perfect job as you can get.

+1 on this. I've solved more issues using this die than anything else I've run into. Well worth the time and few dollars to use this as your last step. I also use this die for my revolvers as well.

cprbycps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    I have thRee dies, the last die presses the bullet and crimps the shell. IS that what you mean?

cprbycps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    is he limp wristing? these guns are not exactly the best running guns on the market to begin with...(assuming its the sve servies not the M & P)

i run a just above min load that works w/ my stock glock and any other quality 9mm.

does his gun run w/ factory ammo?
    are you using the correct powder?
    what powder? what bullet? what charge?

we really need MUCHO more info to assist you in this.
    I use hodgen "Clays" with CCI primers & 115 gram bullets

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I use hodgen "Clays" with CCI primers & 115 gram bullets

In another post you think you are using 3.7 grains dispensed from a .57cc measure?

You really need to weigh your charge, the conversion tables aren't always spot on. Hogdon lists 3.7gr of Clays as the starting load and 3.9gr as the maximum. I'd be very hesitant to go any higher than what you are currently loading without actually weighing your current charges.

I'd go with other posters here and suggest the other gun is being limp wristed. If it still has the problems even after you've eliminated that then you may try upping your powder charge some (once you've gotten a scale!).

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Factory seems to work fine.....I am using the .57 powder feed should yeild 3.7 (I think)

The powder feed setting is ballpark, weigh a few charges and you may find a discrepancy which is easy enough to remedy. You may want to get a Lee double disk kit to fine tune the load LINK

Just remember when using one of these, the smaller disc cavity always goes on top.

bigdaddy1427

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The taper crimp die is actually not a bullet seating die. You use it after the bullet has been seated. It applies a crimp and sizes the whole round again so that it is the size of factory ammo.
    It should be used after the seating die.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Factory seems to work fine.....I am using the .57 powder feed should yeild 3.7 (I think)

Do you have a scale? You need to weigh your powder charge that the powder measure is throwing when you're setting up.

As mentioned the chart that comes with the Auto Disc is a ballpark starting point.

If you are using the .57 cavity and this is supposed to yield a starting load, then there is a good chance that the powder charge is too low, causing the malfunctions.

DON'T increase the powder charge until you get a scale to verify the charge.

Soonerdoggy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Richmond, IN
    I use Alliant Unique with the Lee .66 disc and it puts out 5.3 to 5.4 grains on a 115 grn bullet. They shoot really well in my HK P30 and My Hi Pwr 9mm. Seems to burn clean too. Only thing I see is the Win bullet bulges a Winchester white box casing, but not an American Eagle casing. I called Lee today and the guy said bullet bulge is not a problem and is normal.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Many reasons for not extracting

and about as many for not ejecting. The two are not synonymous.

I second the notion of actually loading your charge. You will find that it is under the desired charge weight I believe.

Using Clays I would NOT arbitrarily increase the charge. Catastrophic pressures arise with this powder with small changes in charge weight.

While some of the older S&W autos had a bad reputation, not all are that way, like the model 52.

When the spent case doesn't come out of the gun, where does it end up? Is it still in the barrel? Partially withdrawn from the chamber but stuck in the ejection port? Stove piped?

Top Bottom