• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • genehopkins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    I am new to shooting and owning Garands. I am getting mixed messages about how / should I reload for this gun. Has anyone out there any information to help me along?

Thanks in advance.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    When you decide upon your load for your M1 Garand, you might consider getting an adjustable gas plug. The two most common are the Schuster and the McCann. However, you can get a ported gas plug from garandgear.com, that doesn't need to be adjusted. The above gas plugs, allow you to use virtually any 30.06 load up to 180 gr bullet.

If you want to reload, I would suggest using IMR 4895 or H4895 as your base powder. You may want to try some Hornady 110 gr spire point bullets if you are just plinking. Other wise 150 or 168 gr bullets are very common.

If you go to the CMP forum, there is plenty of advice about reloading for the M1 Garand. Pay particular attention to two posters there, lapriester and cerezco, they are very knowledable with their advice.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When you decide upon your load for your M1 Garand, you might consider getting an adjustable gas plug. The two most common are the Schuster and the McCann. However, you can get a ported gas plug from garandgear.com, that doesn't need to be adjusted. The above gas plugs, allow you to use virtually any 30.06 load up to 180 gr bullet.

If you want to reload, I would suggest using IMR 4805 or H4805 as your base powder. You may want to try some Hornady 110 gr spire point bullets if you are just plinking. Other wise 150 or 168 gr bullets are very common.

If you go to the CMP forum, there is plenty of advice about reloading for the M1 Garand. Pay particular attention to two posters there, lapriester and cerezco, they are very knowledable with their advice.

I think you meant IMR 4895 or H4895. Also IMR4064 is a suitable gas pressure standard powder for the M1 and M1A.

I never played with an adjustable gas plug, I always just reloaded.

Unlike the myth that 5.56 brass is thicker, US military 30-06 brass really is thicker. The loading Data pages that SLoughfoot posted have the information that notes the different powder needs between commercial and US military.

There is something enjoyable about the old m1. Enjoy it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I use either the service rifle info from my Accurate book, CMP or the NRA data posted. If I'm using Accurate powder I really like AA2015, I've also had really good luck using surplus WC844 and WC846.
    If you use the surplus powders start low and work up as some lots are faster than others. I've never loaded above about mid-range of the load data, I always look for a accurate lower charge wt. so as to not unnecessarily beat up either of my M1's.

Top Bottom