• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oucme69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    indianapolis
    new to reloading and starting to build a bench and was wondering if I could use a steel plate for the bench top dident know if it was a hazard even thought about grounding it but thought I would get advice before doing soothing I shouldn't thanks for your time

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I guess maybe if you were getting it for free. But if you had to pay for it I would instead goto a auction and find a desk with a formica top and put it on top of a 1/2 plywood and bolt it together for your workbench top.

I use a Credenza with a formica top that was originally used in the old Terre Haute F.A.A. Flight Service Station. I was told to get rid of all of the furniture leftover. The Credenza is now my reloading bench with storage to my right and left.
    Your Federal Tax Dollars still at work! :rockwoot:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I just have a few steel plates laying around get them for free there about. 3 x5 foot and 1/4 thick

That is going to be one heavy reloading bench. Better make sure the lower side is beefed up and I would definitely ground it. We dont want to see ER pics of you missing your eyebrows and some hair gone with red ears.... Ok thats a lie....Can you make sure the ER uses a HD camera? :D

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    No issues with a steel top, except maybe rust. The more stable you can make the bench, the better off you'll be. Progressive presses like the Dillon 650 need a real solid bench. Mine is wood, but screwed to the back wall. You also don't want your bench to be really deep. 3 feet or so is optimum.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    With smokless powder you will probably be ok , but blackpowder would scare me on a steel bench, as it only takes one spark to set it off.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Would someone please tell me when on earth someone would need to take blackpowder out any time OTHER THAN when you are loading a musket/muzzleloader. Why one earth would someone need blackpowder at a RELOADING bench? :n00b:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    50/70 or 45/70 black powder loads. I will do black powder loads for my 1873 saddle carbine.
    Oh yeah, forgot about those. Ive never gotten into blackpowder so my knowledge of using the stuff is very limited. I know its not even remotely stable as smokeless. Cant static from our bodies set it off?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Oh yeah, forgot about those. Ive never gotten into blackpowder so my knowledge of using the stuff is very limited. I know its not even remotely stable as smokeless. Cant static from our bodies set it off?

That is the old wive's tale. There is lots of debate about that subject. I would say that BP is just as stable as any other powder.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If you're going to use a steel top and ground it, there's a doodad you can get with a wrist strap that connects to the grounded surface and discharges your static charge, so no sparks, or just connect yourself to the plate via about 1MΩ resistor. It's used in the electronics industry where a lot of the components are static sensitive. If you happened to have any of those plates that needed a good home, I might be able to help you out:whistle:

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Would someone please tell me when on earth someone would need to take blackpowder out any time OTHER THAN when you are loading a musket/muzzleloader. Why one earth would someone need blackpowder at a RELOADING bench? :n00b:

Black powder cartridge reloading is far more popular now than in the last 50 years, due to cowboy action shooting and long range sharps rifle competitions among others.

davidc912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    South of Indy
    Can't beat a good wooden bench top. It dampens vibration - electrically, chemically, and thermally neutral. And it's softer and quieter when you drop stuff on it, like say a box of large pistol primers. :twocents:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Can't beat a good wooden bench top. It dampens vibration - electrically, chemically, and thermally neutral. And it's softer and quieter when you drop stuff on it, like say a box of large pistol primers. :twocents:

A heavy metal bench top would need a very solid and durable substrate to which it would be mounted. What material would one use for that substrate? :)

The NRA once published detailed plans for a high-quality reloading bench. The only steel used in it was found in the nuts, bolts, washers and screws used to secure the wooden framework and top. I can't begin to think of a reason to use anything else. Also - :twocents:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    That is the old wive's tale. There is lots of debate about that subject. I would say that BP is just as stable as any other powder.

Black powder is very different than smokeless. Smokeless left in a pile and ignited will fizzle and spark and burn vigorously but black powder left in a pile and ignited will explode. Any place that sells it will tell you the storage requirements are very different for black and smokeless. Black powder requires a special storage "magazine" and stores are limited as to how much they can store for good reason while smokeless can be shelf stored with no real limit on quantity.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Black powder is very different than smokeless. Smokeless left in a pile and ignited will fizzle and spark and burn vigorously but black powder left in a pile and ignited will explode. Any place that sells it will tell you the storage requirements are very different for black and smokeless. Black powder requires a special storage "magazine" and stores are limited as to how much they can store for good reason while smokeless can be shelf stored with no real limit on quantity.
    Exactly!
    I would stand next to a camp fire and throw in a hand full of smokeless powder, but I wouldn't dream of doing so with black powder.
    I lost my eyebrows a couple of times with black powder when I was a kid , so I know what i'm talking about.
    Gasoline poured ontop of a puddle also got my eyebrows once too.

famous187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    i built a reloading work bench out of floor cabinets with a formica top from menards. it looks really good so the wife is ok with it being in the house!

Top Bottom