• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • runandgun44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Hi, I searched and searched but could not find much info on this subject so I'm putting it to you experts.

I just started shooting steel matches this summer and getting my feet wet in USPSA. With this in mind, I started loading my own ammo so I can shoot more without breaking the bank.

Still new at this and I've seen where you can buy cast bullets for almost half the price of FMJ so here's my questions to those of you with experience in this.

1. Do you notice cast bullets shooting any different?(accuracy)
    2. Do they have any negative effects on feeding or function of a semi auto? (Right now I am shooting a SR9 9mm)
    3. Any problems in regards to effects on the barrel?
    4. Best grain in 9mm for steel and USPSA production div?

If I can produce more good functioning ammo for less $$$$ and not damage my firearm, I'm all for it. I would like some advice though before ordering thousands of bullets. Thanks in advance.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Hi, I searched and searched but could not find much info on this subject so I'm putting it to you experts.

I just started shooting steel matches this summer and getting my feet wet in USPSA. With this in mind, I started loading my own ammo so I can shoot more without breaking the bank.

Still new at this and I've seen where you can buy cast bullets for almost half the price of FMJ so here's my questions to those of you with experience in this.

1. Do you notice cast bullets shooting any different?(accuracy)
    2. Do they have any negative effects on feeding or function of a semi auto? (Right now I am shooting a SR9 9mm)
    3. Any problems in regards to effects on the barrel?
    4. Best grain in 9mm for steel and USPSA production div?

If I can produce more good functioning ammo for less $$$$ and not damage my firearm, I'm all for it. I would like some advice though before ordering thousands of bullets. Thanks in advance.

1 --> No. I get superb accuracy from cast bullets
    2 --> No. More a function of bullet shape than material.
    3 --> No. In fact, your barrel will probably last longer. You may (or may not) have to scrub some lead out, but it's not the big deal people make it out to be.
    4 --> I prefer 147 gr when loading 9mm cast. You can make power at lower velocities and chamber pressures, which can lead to less leading. Not to mention, 147s are quite accurate in most guns.

runandgun44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    1 --> No. I get superb accuracy from cast bullets
    2 --> No. More a function of bullet shape than material.
    3 --> No. In fact, your barrel will probably last longer. You may (or may not) have to scrub some lead out, but it's not the big deal people make it out to be.
    4 --> I prefer 147 gr when loading 9mm cast. You can make power at lower velocities and chamber pressures, which can lead to less leading. Not to mention, 147s are quite accurate in most guns.

Thanks for the response. I assume on ^^this your saying you have found round nose to be best?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Thanks for the response. I assume on ^^this your saying you have found round nose to be best?

Yeah, regardless of whether you are using FMJ or cast, round nose is the easiest to feed. Truncated cone and semi-wadcutter designs are more of a challenge to feed.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    What gun are you going to be planning on shooting lead out of? The reason I ask is because certain manufactorers (glock) say that shooting lead out of a factrory barrel is NOT a good idea. Most folks that shoot lead also use aftermarket barrels that have traditional rifling instead of the polygonal rifling that Glocks have.

Before anyone jumps and says that they never have a problem shooting lead from their factory glock barrel I will say that this is Glock's suggestion to not shoot lead and I would think they know what can and can't be shot out of their barrels.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    :+1: to what Joe said

I get my bullets from blackbulletsinternational.com

They are Molly coated lead bullets, reduces smoke.

I 9mm, I like the 147gr, which are VERY popular in Steel and USPSA.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I use lead bullets almost exclusively for .45 after a long stretch of Montana Gold. I haven't tried them in 9 mm because I have several Glocks that I shoot most often; though it may be time to try them in the Springfields and the Sig.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I use lead bullets almost exclusively for .45 after a long stretch of Montana Gold. I haven't tried them in 9 mm because I have several Glocks that I shoot most often; though it may be time to try them in the Springfields and the Sig.

You could also consider getting a Lone Wolf or other aftermarket barrel for at least one of your Glocks. The savings using cast would quickly pay for the barrel.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Yes you could, but be aware that GLOCK states in black and white that they do not recommend that you shoot lead from a polygonal rifled barrel. I highly doubt that they put that statement out there because they own stock in the FMJ bullet market. :laugh:

Actually they say no such thing, to my knowledge.

They do, however, warn against the use of any handloaded ammo at all, which, obviously, is ridiculous.

Shoot a few thousand rounds of moly coated or lead through your Glock and tell me when you have problems. I know at least one GM who is/does and I haven't seen anyone tell him that he can't do that.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Actually they say no such thing, to my knowledge.

They do, however, warn against the use of any handloaded ammo at all, which, obviously, is ridiculous.

Shoot a few thousand rounds of moly coated or lead through your Glock and tell me when you have problems. I know at least one GM who is/does and I haven't seen anyone tell him that he can't do that.

I am just going by these articles:

Barrels and Bullets: Conventional Versus Polygonal Rifling - HUMAN EVENTS

TopGlock.com: glockfaqs

The Gun Zone -- Glock Manual's Ammo Page

Wilson Combat and Glock

:dunno:

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    You only mention shooting lead... Where are you getting the bullets?? Casting them yourself? Frankly I like casting bullets and most of the Keith design moulds will treat you well.

Either way you decide to go home cast or factory cast yoou would do well to read up on some of Elmer Keith's experiences and observations with lead bullets.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For best accuracy and least leading measure your bore diameter and make sure your bullets are at least .001 larger. For a lot more info check out Castboolits.com.:)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    There is documented proof of lead levels increasing pressure. When I shoot lead out of my Glocks, I make sure I am picking the heavy for caliber bullet and slower load to reduce leading, along with hard alloys. I've never had a problem following that. But I will only shoot a couple hundred between cleaning with a few jacketed.

This book has some info on it http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Competition-2nd-Robin-Taylor/

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I have the same book, good stuff.

I use molly coated bullets, cuts down on the leading and smoke...

I have a storm lake match barrel, but also shoot through my regular glock barrel with no worries

Top Bottom