• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    I've really been wanting to pick up a Henry lever action in .22 magnum. I don't have any experience with levers however so I was just wondering if they are more prone to breaking and if so is the lever action so "complicated" that it would almost definitely require a trip to the gunsmith? Sorry if the question seems stupid, just don't have any experience with them.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    i honestly have never had a Henry 22 , but currently or have owned many 30-30/357/45LC/45-70 and honestly some of them being a little rough so they became truck guns or 4-wheeler guns (love having a scabbard on the 4-wheeler) , and have never had a malfunction to date. I'm sure a Henry 22 person will chime in , but my 2-cents is you can never go wrong with reliability on a lever action.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Not a Henry person but I'm a Marlin guy Pre 2000 and I love a good lever. Proper cleaning and care and I've never had a single issue. I've seen the marlin 39A run so dirty you would figure it would have malfunctions but it never did.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Never owned a Henry, but have looked at several - quality looks ok. I do have a Winchester 88 -.308 lever and a Marlin 30-30, son has a Marlin 22 mag. Never had any problems with any of the guns. However I (being somewhat anal about seeing how things work and usually stoning and polishing at least some parts in every gun I own) completely disassembled the Winchester. I spent several hours re-assembling it as I had to make some assembly pins to get it together again. No problems since but wouldn't recommend anyone that is not pretty adept at mechanics taking a lever completely apart. If you look at the history of Lever guns - they were used in pretty hostile environments in the old west without any recorded issues.

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    Sounds like some votes of confidence. A lever action and a semi auto .22lr are on my next to acquire list.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Like everything else they will break, it just depends on the round count.

I have taken lever actions to Carbine/Urban Rifle classes and have always had at least one lever action go down. Jams (in contradistinction to malfunctions), pieces falling off of them, etc. However, have to understand that theses platforms are not designed for hard use.

Guns are golf clubs, the threshold question is "what is it for?"

My father has a Henry. He loves it very much. Watch out tin cans. However, it is just a plinker, which is cool with him. If for plinking, hunting you should have a lot of fun for the money.:)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I own a Henry, and it is a shooter, not like an AR, or an AK, but it does shoot, a "plinker" if you will. I use it for what I think it is intended for, range time, fun time, NOT hard use ... JMHO ...

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I have had a Henry 22mag , fine gun for the money and no break in needed. Fine and slick running, very reliable out of box. The Henrys are made , like more and more 22 firearms recently, with Zamac receivers and some plastic parts. Not usually a problem for most users but long term durabilty under the heaviest, high volume shooting would almost certainly be better with a Winchester 9422mag.

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    Yeh I don't really have a "hard use" for it. Just a fun gun that might partake in the occasional pest removal. .22 mag is pretty much my favorite round and a clean lever action is quite sexy. Will be a welcome addition to my collection

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Yeh I don't really have a "hard use" for it. Just a fun gun that might partake in the occasional pest removal. .22 mag is pretty much my favorite round and a clean lever action is quite sexy. Will be a welcome addition to my collection

I'm sure it will, the Henrys have a smooth action and FYI HiVis is now making a fiber optic front sight for them. Link below to these @ Midway
    Good looking, good performing gun, have fun!

Search results for: HiViz Henry

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I have a Henry Golden Boy in .17HMR
    a Winchester 9422 in .22LR
    a Marlin 1895 Guide in .45-70

Never had a problem with any of them, and I've hunted dove to boar. :yesway:

cjbecker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I'm a marlin fan and shoot a pre micro grove 39a and a 1894c pre rem. Both are great shooting guns and never have a problem. They are very simple to take fully apart to clean. never had to fix anything while in there.

Top Bottom