• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    What are the advantages of filling in the "product registration" when you buy a new (not just new to me :rockwoot:) handgun. The question is kind of in general for any type of gun but the specifics of my dilemma are for my S&W M&P 9mm Pro. It doesn't say anywhere on the "registration" that this is needed to enable any of the manufacturer warranties or anything. Like most things it looks like it is just a way to do target marketing and send you a bunch of junk mail and email. Being an avid INGO'er I have heard a lot of people talking about S&W having a great service oriented company especially for the 1st owner of a S&W gun (er...weapon- sorry, I wasn't in the military).
    Your thoughts...:popcorn:

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Unless the warranty states specifically that it is required to maintain the warranty I wouldn't think about it.

Protect your personal information as digilently as you do your life and family.

I recently received a recall notice for one of my handguns and I never sent in the registration card. Never called for service. Never ordered any parts or accessories from the factory.

It is way to easy these days to gain personal information about someone without their express consent.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    When a manufacture has a safety recall, They contact the distributor/wholesaler to whom the gun was sold to. Then the gun shop is contacted for the information for safety reasons only. If the store is reputable they will contact you to bring it in and not to fire it and they will take care of everything at no cost to you. If you mailed the card in then they will contact you directly with the information that you provided. Junk mail has slowed down from companies trying to save a buck. Hope this helped.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    owner of a S&W gun (er...weapon- sorry, I wasn't in the military).

Gun is fine, firearm is fine, piece of safety equipment works, heck I don't even mind gat...but try to avoid the word "weapon", it has negative connotations to those who are not gun people. The military has weapons, they have them for the sole purpose of killing people. Civilians have firearms which have many purposes including sporting, hunting, ans self defense. The term weapon just fuels the anti's.

As for filling out the card...I have never done so with any firearm and I think you are right...it is to build a marketing data base more than anything else.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Maybe I'll send mine in just for the junk mail, as long as they don't sell my info, which would really upset me. Maybe ask for a free t-shirt, bumper sticker, or poster for my troubles.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Trencher
    Top Bottom