• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah her's the 98K I did, used a Birchwood Casey refinishing KIt. Stripped it with a varnish stripper, washed it gently in Dawn Dish soap a few times to remove the oil and grease then I gently sanded with 320 grit to take of the "Whiskers". Used a 50% diluted walnut stain. then used 000 steel wool. Then started with the Tru-oil rubbing it in with my fingers, and using 0000 steel wool in between coats. Be happy to do your for you for a resonable charge.
    RCMauser020.jpg

RCMauser021.jpg

RCMauser022.jpg

RCMauser023.jpg

Last edited:

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I did my 67 10/22. Stripped with citrus stripper then steamed and sanded, finished with 12 coats of tru oil.

before
    1022bb.jpg

steamed and sanded
    1022sanded.jpg

finished
    1022d.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've refinished a few. They all turned out better looking for the effort. I like an oil finish. I've used Linspeed, Homer Formsby Tung Oil, and Tru Oil. They all worked out well. The key, after removing the old finish and flaws and sanding, is to use an appropriate colored stain, have patience and apply several coats of oil finish and lightly steel wool the finish between coats. The more coats you apply, the better the finish will look. The last one I did had 7 coats and it looked nice.

In the past, I've used spray "Easy Off" oven cleaner to remove the old deep oil from military stocks. It would suck out a lot of the old oil, so I didn't have to sand the stock down too far. I don't know if they changed the formula since I used it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis
    Top Bottom