• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Forgive my ignorance, but are all of the refinishing options available out there primarily cosmetic (understanding that bluing, nickel plating, cerakote, etc., all convey SOME sort of protection to the underlying substrate) or will any of them cover/fill/repair or prevent scratches or wear on mating/wearing surfaces? I'm thinking scratches on frames from safeties/decockers, slide/frame rail wear, wear on top of barrel/bottom surface of slide hood; things like that. Yes, yes, proper lubrication I know, but sometimes you can get a used gun with some wear and I want to know if any refinishing options can "rebuild" lightly scored surfaces.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Unfortunately guns are not like cars where a skim coat of bondo can cover minor dents and such. The violent action of a firearm would likely shed such fillers as J.B.Weld rather quickly tho you might give it a try...I have seen that stuff hang on in some rather harsh applications. Silver solder might be the best bet but it won't take bluing. Having someone really good with a TIG might be the only answer.

You could try DuraFil Surface Filler, Lauer DuraFil Surface Filler Black 4 oz - MidwayUSA , however I don't know how well it would grab and stick in shallow scratches, it needs some roughness to grab onto. It does work wonder for deep pits and such. My Model 12 was a total basket case with some severe blood damage under the grips.

mod12.jpg

and it ended up looking like this...

model12a-1.jpg

You might give it a try...it might work better than I would think but again you can't blue or plate over it.

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Minimal. Hardly catches the end of a cleaning pick passed perpendicularly across the scratches.

I saw a gallery the other day that had some pretty rough guns cleaned up well with DuraKote or CeraKote...

It was Alternative Firearm Coatings! Cerakote and Duracoat application! Gun coating,Refinishing!

An extensive gallery of before and after pics, with a couple pretty rough looking pistols redone, large gallery, lots of pretty pics... Keep scrolling down past the testemonials for the gallery

Last edited:
    Top Bottom