• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Digest version-lady friend is wanting to get her first gun for protection/carry. Average size and strength. I have taken her shooting before and gone over basics and just looking for a recommended list of what to check out. She has shot Glocks and 1911s and Berettas and struggles with racking the slide. So I'm thinking it may be better to focus on a wheel gun. (Still up to her ). I don't know much about revolvers so what are a few that we should look at? Caliber? (38, maybe. Sound of a 44 mag at Atterbury frightened her)

Any training in Danville area? Or further West ?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I love the S&W revolvers and the wood grips. Do you really gain much with the .357 over the .38? .357 is one of my favorite calibers, if not THE favorite, but I've heard that you don't really utilize all the power when it's in a snubby.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I love the S&W revolvers and the wood grips. Do you really gain much with the .357 over the .38? .357 is one of my favorite calibers, if not THE favorite, but I've heard that you don't really utilize all the power when it's in a snubby.

Oh yeah...........think +P .38 on 'roids.......:yesway:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Digest version-lady friend is wanting to get her first gun for protection/carry. Average size and strength. I have taken her shooting before and gone over basics and just looking for a recommended list of what to check out. She has shot Glocks and 1911s and Berettas and struggles with racking the slide. So I'm thinking it may be better to focus on a wheel gun. (Still up to her ). I don't know much about revolvers so what are a few that we should look at? Caliber? (38, maybe. Sound of a 44 mag at Atterbury frightened her)

Any training in Danville area? Or further West ?

Heeheeheeheeheeheehee ?? Oh . . . wait, . . my bad. At first read it looked like "Average size and LENGTH." TOTALLY different subject.

Carry on!

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    A friend just picked up a Ruger LCR in 22WMR, and it is a really nice piece. I'm not a fan of the caliber, but if it gets her shooting, and she is comfortable and proficient with it, that is what is important.

I like the Ruger SP101 in 357 Magnum; I have the 3" model. One could shoot 38 Special to gradually develop their proficiency, and then carry 357 Magnum or 38 Special +P.

IndyT0m

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Of course you have a lot more energy behind a .357 round vs a .38 round but in a snub nose it will be difficult to control and if she got scared from a sound of a .44 magnum a .357 cartridge will not fair much better. I have a Ruger Sp101 and firing 357's in it is like shooting a cannon. I personally love it but a friend of mine almost dropped it after shooting it the first time. Now put some 38 specials in that same gun and it's like night and day. Personally, I would refrain to get her a .357 unless she shoots 38 specials in it. I would take her to a gun range and let her shoot various calibers and guns and see which one she likes. I carry a M&P Shield 9mm and love it. Easy to conceal and easy to shoot. Great first time gun for a woman with average strength. If she is not familiar with Pistols make sure she can pull the slide back easily. Some women can and some don't or are scared doing it thinking the gun will go off while chambering. Either way a beginner gun safety course may be a good idea.

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I bought my wife a Ruger LCR in 38 spl. She can handle the recoil just fine. I like the .22 magnum caliber....but I haven't seen any for sale around me since before the 2012 election.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If she is of average strength then she can be easily instructed on how to rack a slide. Strength isn't really the issue. This will open her up to a wide variety of choices.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I prefer the LCR in .357 because the steel/polymer ratio is higher and because of the option to shoot .38+P or .357 (even though recoil with .357 is pretty bad).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No reason to load 357. Stick with a good 38+P.

3" steel revolver will be easier to shoot and less recoil.

Most people can handle the slide on the current crop of mid to full size 9mm pistols. Practice and technique not strength. I can teach people to shoot an auto easier then a revolver.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    ^^ This. If she can't rack a slide after learning proper technique, then she is NOT of average strength.

See here (an article by a woman for women): Rack the Slide | Cornered Cat

Check out that article. It's been my experience, with the women in my family, that they only have "trouble" racking the slide because they're trying to do the "pinch" or "slingshot" method, and after they were taught to do the overhand, their troubles went away. People (new users) also have to learn to not ride the slide home too. Just pull back and let it go.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If she is of average strength then she can be easily instructed on how to rack a slide. Strength isn't really the issue. This will open her up to a wide variety of choices.

This^^^^^

Here is a short video to help.

[video=youtube_share;kbayNc6D9HY]http://youtu.be/kbayNc6D9HY[/video]

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    No reason to load 357. Stick with a good 38+P.

I agree strongly with this, and no longer shoot .357 out of anything shorter than a 4" barrel. A lot of that extra powder is being waste burning outside the barrel once the bullet has already exited. It's nice to have the capability so you can share ammo if you need to, though.

Top Bottom