• ...and so much more!
  • 70R

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    Hi all,

Learning a ton here (reading more than posting) - thanks all!

I started collecting military rifles about a year ago. I started with the Viet Nam era and built a Nodak/Gunthings M16A1 clone and got a (period incorrect) AK47.

WWII rifles arent too hard to come by (M1 Garand, M91/30, M44, T99, K98), so I'm happy with that collection.

However, trying to find WWI era rifles has been a challenge. I pop into the local shops from time to time and hit shows when possible, but with little luck. Any suggestions on where to look or if there are specific web classifieds that might be better would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    As far as WW1 weapons, mustard gas isn't hard to make. (please note, if you are new, purple = sarcasm)

Rifles...I've owned an unissued Springfiled 1903a3 that was a thing of beauty. The Lee Enfield line was the rifle to be had in WW1 due to it's ability to be cycled rapidly.

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Keep an eye out at your LGS for rifles that have been sporterized into hunting rifles. I brought back a M1917 Eddystone from sporter hell, new front sight, wood and rear sight. She is back to her original beauty. Back in the day surplus rifles were cheap so they got hacked to pieces. Just make sure the barrell has not been cut down

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    There were a fair number of SMLEs and M1903s at the show this past weekend. Didn't see any Gew.98s, but I wasn't really looking that hard. Saw one Carcano 91 Truppi Speciale that could have been WWI, but I didn't check the date because I already have one.

If you were just looking for shootable representative examples, you could probably get fair examples of British, French, American, and Italian rifles in a couple of Indy 1500s. Gew. 98s are hit or miss, and the hardest ones to find in any kind of decent condition are Austro-Hungarian Steyr Mannlicher M95 rifles, since so many of them were cut down into "stutzen" short rifles after the war. Finding a full length original that doesn't look like it came up off a U-boat wreck is a trick, and you might need to go to intertubes auction sites for that.

70R

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    Keep an eye out at your LGS for rifles that have been sporterized into hunting rifles. I brought back a M1917 Eddystone from sporter hell, new front sight, wood and rear sight. She is back to her original beauty. Back in the day surplus rifles were cheap so they got hacked to pieces. Just make sure the barrell has not been cut down

My father in law has one of these in excellent condition, but was sporterized. I'll have to look into getting parts this. I'm sure he won't mind storing it at my place :-).

70R

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    if you're on a tight budget, the 1917 may be more your speed. Original 1903's (not 03A3's which are WWII issue/refurbs) are going to usually be in the $800 and up range. Same with Garands and M1 Carbines (assuming you chase WWII eventually). Eddystones can be found in the $500 neighborhood with patience. If I found a Remington or Winchester version I liked, I'd sell you mine. ;-) Cheaper than that would probably be early Mosin's and Carcano's. French rifles, too, but Lebels etc might be a bit tougher to find ammo for (I've never tried).

If you had a C&R, I'd tell you to watch Empire Arms or Gunboards.com. March 1st is a big show in Louisville that might yield up some good stuff too.

70R

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    Thanks boozoo. I have a C&R - most costly piece of paper I've ever owned!

Budget isn't that tight, I just want to make sure I'm not overpaying. The WWII M1 Garand and Airisaka T99 I have were at the top of my budget.

I'll take a look at those sites and try to make it to the show. Any additional info on the show is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Cheaper than that would probably be early Mosin's and Carcano's. French rifles, too, but Lebels etc might be a bit tougher to find ammo for (I've never tried).

Good Lebels are getting thin on the ground; I can't remember the last time I saw one at a gun show other than Louisville. Berthiers are easier to find.

Ammo is easier now that Prvi has started importing 8x50R; before, half the stuff you found was "Balle N" machine gun ammo, which not all WWI rifles can safely fire. (Check for an "N" stamp over the chamber to see if the throat's been reamed to allow the rifle to safely fire this.)

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    boozoo, I'm guessing this show on March 2/3 is the one you mean?
    National Gun Day.Com website - The best gun shows!

I'll definitely be there. Thanks again.

If you like historic arms, you have to go there. I was there with a friend, and he described the experience as "museum fatigue", like being in the Louvre and saying "Oh, look, another Michelangelo painting. Ho hum."

On one aisle, I was like "Wow, that's the nicest Volcanic pistol I've ever seen!" until I turned around and saw the guy with the table across the aisle had two more even nicer.

At one table, I was able to streeeetch out my hand and have my thumb touching a Springfield M1903 Mark I with the Pedersen Device installed and my pinky just barely touching a Savage M1907 .45 service trial pistol.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    boozoo, I'm guessing this show on March 2/3 is the one you mean?
    National Gun Day.Com website - The best gun shows!

I'll definitely be there. Thanks again.

That's the one. There's really two shows. Show of Shows and NGD..... one is more of a collectors thing, militaria, if you love WW I and WW II stuff, you have to see it. It also has some really interesting guns for sale sprinkled among all the uniforms, and helmets and such.

I can't remember if I also mentioned Brocks Guns and Simpsons Ltd. Both can be a little high, but they have some great things come through (Simpsons has much more inventory usually).

Oh.... Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms also has a locator service. You leave details and he'll try to find it for you. He's another one that can be a little high, but he does sell really nice ones.

I have also seen decent deals on Springfields and Eddystones by watching private sales in the CMP forums.

Good luck!

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Good Lebels are getting thin on the ground; I can't remember the last time I saw one at a gun show other than Louisville. Berthiers are easier to find.

Ammo is easier now that Prvi has started importing 8x50R; before, half the stuff you found was "Balle N" machine gun ammo, which not all WWI rifles can safely fire. (Check for an "N" stamp over the chamber to see if the throat's been reamed to allow the rifle to safely fire this.)

I know I saw a bunch of Berthiers pop up on Empire this week... I can't remember if Lebels were among them. I'd like to get one but so far I have a hard time making French rifles a priority. Must be the German in me. :):

gunluvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    The Ohio Gun Collectors Association has a gun show about four times a year in Wilmington Ohio. Tons of them there.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom