• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I purchased an old leather hoister from a fellow :ingo:er. It is a Cowboy style gun belt and holster. The leather is old, dry and in need of revitalization. Once it is oiled, it will be a nice holster and belt. Any suggestions on how to fix it up? What brand of leather oil works best?

Thanks.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I think there's a bake/spray option made for baseball glove leather. I'd start there! Maybe play it again sports or dicks?

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I use olive oil on all my leather(saddles, tack, holsters, etc.) I use olive oil on the inside(it will stain a little but not as much neatsfoot oil) and either saddle soap(paste in a can) or leather new spray (both applied with a small sponge) on the outside. depends on how "old and dry" the leather is.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I use Fiebings Prime Neatsfoot oil Compound on all my leather holsters. Some are 30 years old and still in good shape. Works good on leather boots also.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Thought I would bring this back to life. Trying to find some good conditioner for leather holsters. Would like to hear other's recommendations.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have had some leather that was extremely stiff and rough. I've always used mink oil that is like a paste. I smother the holster in it and then heat it with a hair dryer to get the leather to absorb the mink oil. Then work the leather while it is warm and it softens up. Repeat as needed until the leather is nice and soft.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Neatsfoot oil is good. Another great thing, if you are trying to get it to soften up a little is a product called Bear Grease. It is almost like a petrolatum jelly. Makes leather very supple while still letting it keep its stiffness for retention.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Hold the phone.
    If it is a cowbow style holster, they may have paid extra to make the holster stiff for fast draw.

Make sure you aren't un doing something that is desirable.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Visit the GALCO holster site. They have just what you need. I use OBENAUFS LEATHER OIL that I get from AMAZON, it works miracles.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom