Recommendations for Bicycle "Head" Light(s)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I've been looking at some pretty high powered lumens bicycle lights. I've been doing as much riding as I can to keep the BEETUS away. It's getting dark before I get home on some nights and I want to reduce my risk of getting hit while riding at night. I've got the back of the bike covered with some pretty neat lights from BGI South off of County Line in Greenwood.

I'm looking for recommendations for bike mounted illuminators. I've heard some people recommend getting a heavy duty flashlight and mounting it with Fenix's bicycle handlebar mount.

I've also looked at Niterider's MiNewt series of lights:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/NiteRider-350-Cordless-Rechargable-Headlight/dp/B005BRPT12/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1332993830&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: NiteRider MiNewt.350 Cordless Light: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/NiteRider-600-Cordless-Rechargable-Headlight/dp/B005DNXXL2/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1332993830&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: NiteRider MiNewt 600 Cordless Rechargable Headlight: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

A friend who moved to Florida swears by the Cygolites brand but he had to send two back to the factory before he got one that worked properly.

I only do commuter-type riding. Nothing off-road or mountain-biking...

Any riders out there with any recommendations? I was tempted to get another Surefire and see if a Mesa Tactical flashlight mount will fit on my handle bars but yea... I don't necessarily want to be that guy. :D

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Wear this on your head or attach it to your bike with a zip-tie. The head strap is detachable.

Streamlight products are superb. They are the only flashlights I use.

This model has the new C4-LED technology that has a produces more light using less battery. The lower setting can last up to 30 hours, and the high beam around 6 hours on one charge.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081NHBA/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details"]Amazon.com: Streamlight 61302 Argo HP C4 LED Headmount Flashlight[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00081NHBA/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1"]
    8c59a2c008a01a1470c28010.L._AA300_.jpg
    [/ame]

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What rear light did you get?

For headlights, I've been looking at the ones BGI on 82nd street and A1 Cyclery sell.
    I THINK they're made by Bontrager.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    NWI
    I frequent some flashlight forums such as budgetlightforum and cpf. you can get a pretty bright affordable light that puts out 800L or more like a c8 xml. id stick to the xml leds as they are currently the brightest and will light up the area in front prettty well. most of my `FLS are brighter than my headlights.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Bar mounted cygolite 2 years no problems. Very brigjt and picked it up for 39.99 from nashbar i think it was originally 149. Id buy another one for 100 if i had to.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Last edited:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    What rear light did you get?

For headlights, I've been looking at the ones BGI on 82nd street and A1 Cyclery sell.
    I THINK they're made by Bontrager.

Serfas Seat Stay Taillight - Bicycle Garage Indy - Indianapolis and Greenwood, IN

I actually got one of these. I wish I would have picked up two more. These little guys were by far the best rear lights that BGI had in stock. They have several (4 or so) different modes. I have had them tested by a buddy of mine who drove his car and he could easily and noticibly see my flashing light up to three and a half blocks away. They are obnoxious... which is what you want in a light. I compared these to other lights they had in stock that were in the 60-80 dollar range and thought these were better.

The only downside the employee said to them was that the rubber can dry rot and fall off. He had one that did and the company replaced it. The 2nd dry rot one, he just held on with a rubber band.

I don't know if the batteries are replaceable or not.

What do you have, lovemachine?

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I had this one, can't remember the model (outdated anyway). They make good lights though, cars would flash their high-beams at me. :D

07008b.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You'll want more than just one for your head, too.

Get a good bar-mounted one....AND, if you can, wear one on your head also.

In addition to reflective clothing and a tail light or two.

As far as what kinds/brands... no idea.

Sorry.

-J-

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Serfas Seat Stay Taillight - Bicycle Garage Indy - Indianapolis and Greenwood, IN

I actually got one of these. I wish I would have picked up two more. These little guys were by far the best rear lights that BGI had in stock. They have several (4 or so) different modes. I have had them tested by a buddy of mine who drove his car and he could easily and noticibly see my flashing light up to three and a half blocks away. They are obnoxious... which is what you want in a light. I compared these to other lights they had in stock that were in the 60-80 dollar range and thought these were better.

The only downside the employee said to them was that the rubber can dry rot and fall off. He had one that did and the company replaced it. The 2nd dry rot one, he just held on with a rubber band.

I don't know if the batteries are replaceable or not.

What do you have, lovemachine?

I don't remember the brand name. I picked up a small black red light that has 3 different modes. It was $20.

I'll eventually pick up a bike head light. I'm not even sure how it'll mount yet.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I'm actually going to A1 cyclery tomorrow to look at helmet mounted mirrors :D
    Check out the Take-a-look mirror. I use it on my glasses. It can be used on glasses and helmet. I have tried a lot of different ones and this is my favorite. I do prefer to use it on the glasses rather than the helmet.
    take-a-look-mirror.jpg

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I just typed a really long review on the light that I bought. My browser fudged it up and I'll give the short version.

I decided to pick up the Cygolite Expilion 400. It is a 400 lumen flashlight that comes with a proprietary battery core that is rechargeable. The flashlight can be charged via provided wall charger or via USB. I tested this on my USB input on my work computer. The charge took longer than with the wall unit but still got the job done.

The flashlight has seven different modes with varying degrees of brightness. It also has a strobe light, that is probably only meant for day riding. I stood at the end of our city block where we have a stop sign about every block. At night, this light will cause about 6 or 7 blocks worth of stop signs to "light up" and be detected from where I was standing. The brightest setting is akin to an actual car's halogen headlight. I've had brights flashed at me from cars while driving on the brightest setting. If you flash your head lamps at me more than twice, I'll set my light to strobe. :D

The light comes with a quick detach mount that is plastic. I like the quick detach feature as it allows me to park (and lock) my bike up and easily remove the flash light so some hoodrat doesn't bojangle it. I'm a little concerned about how long the mount will last being only plastic. It also came with a velcro and plastic mount for putting the light on your helmet, if you're so inclined to wear one.

I mount also allows a little bit of swiveling to be done. One of the criticisms I've heard for this light is that it does not produce a high amount of spill but for the riding I do (city, people trails), it seemed just fine.

I took it on a 12 mile dusk bike ride a few times this week and the light is more than adequate.

For references, here are a few pictures.

product_480467.jpg

Cygolite-Expilion-350-1.jpg

Expilion400.jpg

2.jpg

I did not take any of these photos.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I just typed a really long review on the light that I bought. My browser fudged it up and I'll give the short version.

I decided to pick up the Cygolite Expilion 400. It is a 400 lumen flashlight that comes with a proprietary battery core that is rechargeable. The flashlight can be charged via provided wall charger or via USB. I tested this on my USB input on my work computer. The charge took longer than with the wall unit but still got the job done.

The flashlight has seven different modes with varying degrees of brightness. It also has a strobe light, that is probably only meant for day riding. I stood at the end of our city block where we have a stop sign about every block. At night, this light will cause about 6 or 7 blocks worth of stop signs to "light up" and be detected from where I was standing. The brightest setting is akin to an actual car's halogen headlight. I've had brights flashed at me from cars while driving on the brightest setting. If you flash your head lamps at me more than twice, I'll set my light to strobe. :D

The light comes with a quick detach mount that is plastic. I like the quick detach feature as it allows me to park (and lock) my bike up and easily remove the flash light so some hoodrat doesn't bojangle it. I'm a little concerned about how long the mount will last being only plastic. It also came with a velcro and plastic mount for putting the light on your helmet, if you're so inclined to wear one.

I mount also allows a little bit of swiveling to be done. One of the criticisms I've heard for this light is that it does not produce a high amount of spill but for the riding I do (city, people trails), it seemed just fine.

I took it on a 12 mile dusk bike ride a few times this week and the light is more than adequate.

For references, here are a few pictures.

product_480467.jpg

Cygolite-Expilion-350-1.jpg

Expilion400.jpg

2.jpg

I did not take any of these photos.
    that is the headlight I use. You will like it.
    First century of the year. - AR15.COM

I was using the Cygolite Expilion 400 and a Planet Bike 2 watt. The problem with the Planet Bike is that it interferes with the wireless bike computer. No problem with the Cygolite. Also the Planet Bike is not nearly as bright. On a long trip I do like a light that takes disposable batteries. Sometimes there is no place to recharge when needed. I am getting a second battery for the cygolite so I can change them when necessary.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom