• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Finally got some range time with my girl. I taught her proper stance and safety with my Mossberg 500 for sporting clays and with my SIG p226 9mm

I didnt want to start her out with the 500 even with field loads they do kick and even though she really wanted to try it she never did. Thats ok I wanted to try the handgun first and work up to it.

She put about 30 rounds through it then shut down. I guess I was making her nervous but at the same time she didnt like the recoil of the P226 which isnt bad at all.

She really likes watching me shoot trap so I was thinking about getting her an autoloader which are known for less recoil but I would like to get the handgun situation sorted first.

Any suggestions on a handgun? Shes 5 foot 6 maybe weighs 130 just to give you an idea on size.

My buddy offered me his 5.7 pistol to see if she likes that but thats all I need is for her to fall in love with an expensive pistol and the ammo that costs more!

I was looking at 380's but figured this would be the place to ask.

Thanks

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What does she want? You already admit to making her nervous and shutting her down. I think you need to slow down a bit. You might want to start over with a .22 pistol and rifle and try to just make it fun.

guncakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    I'd suggest finding a LGS that will let you rent a few handgun for her to try. The grip makes a huge difference. I have small hands, so it makes it hard for me to get a good hold on a big butted gun. Once she finds a grip that fits her hand, the recoil will be easier for her to handle. This may me she winds up with a .380, or even a 9mm with a slim profile.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    A P226 is a horrible first shooting experience for any woman but certainly for one 5'6" and 130. A really good choice instead would be a Sig P239 in 9mm. Not only is it usually a perfect size for a woman, but it is also the easiest gun to strip, clean, and reassemble for them as well. There are no guns easier to strip than a Sig (Classic series.) When we had the range years ago, we learned that women lose interest in shooting quickly if the gun is too large for their hands and/or if they can't do the entire process of owning one, including stripping/cleaning, all by themselves.

For an average-size woman, the Sig P239 in 9mm may well be the best gun yet made. Avoid it in .40 or .357 for a woman; you're just introducing a problem that doesn't need to be introduced.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Finally got some range time with my girl. I taught her proper stance and safety with my Mossberg 500 for sporting clays and with my SIG p226 9mm

I didnt want to start her out with the 500 even with field loads they do kick and even though she really wanted to try it she never did. Thats ok I wanted to try the handgun first and work up to it.

She put about 30 rounds through it then shut down. I guess I was making her nervous but at the same time she didnt like the recoil of the P226 which isnt bad at all.

She really likes watching me shoot trap so I was thinking about getting her an autoloader which are known for less recoil but I would like to get the handgun situation sorted first.

Any suggestions on a handgun? Shes 5 foot 6 maybe weighs 130 just to give you an idea on size.

My buddy offered me his 5.7 pistol to see if she likes that but thats all I need is for her to fall in love with an expensive pistol and the ammo that costs more!

I was looking at 380's but figured this would be the place to ask.

Thanks
    Thanks for her measurements, but we're gun shopping, not lingerie shopping. :D

Seriously, her height and weight are completely irrelevant. Hand/grip size, finger length, and grip strength are really the only limiting factors. The typical female "weakness" thing is either feigned for the purpose of being coy or the manifestation of not being completely comfortable yet.

Have you diagnosed the exact cause of her shutting down? Even if you do succeed in finding a good-fit pistol, you may find that range time doesn't improve unless you address whatever bothered her.

That said, the only solution to your problem is to get out of the way and let her make her own choices. Point her in the right direction for information, get as many physical options into her hands as possible. Then let her decide.

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    start where everyone should start, .22 rifle and .22 pistol or revolver, as above let her do some research and lots of hands on for fit and feel, love the ruger single six revolver and mk III pistol for little ones / newbies

Beardown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern Indy
    Well congrats on getting her out to shoot. My wife just froze first time we went to the range when the guy next to us was rapid firing his ar. No Atterbury one shot per second rule at this place. I thought she was in a coma. I eventually got her to calm down, and she loved my 22 Pistol (insert joke here). She still likes shooting it and isn't a bad shot at all. I'm working towards her shooting my 9mm carbine next which has no kick. Then possibly some more handguns.

I recommend finding a range that rents handguns, if there are any in the south bend area. That way she can tell you what fits her best.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    A P226 is a horrible first shooting experience for any woman but certainly for one 5'6" and 130.

Huh?:scratch: My girlfriend first shot a G26 and hated it. She then shot my 226 and loved it. She actually shot it pretty dang well.
    She now carries a 642(it was mine) loaded with 158GR Hornadys(not +p) and handles it just fine.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Huh?:scratch: My girlfriend first shot a G26 and hated it. She then shot my 226 and loved it. She actually shot it pretty dang well.
    She now carries a 642(it was mine) loaded with 158GR Hornadys(not +p) and handles it just fine.
    Well, clearly she's just abnormal, but yeah, I had a :n00b: reaction to that comment as well. Had a big reply typed out and decided not to get into an argument over it since I haven't actually shot a P226. And I'm not exactly a fair comparison to determine what women are comfortable with.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Start at .22, don't want her to get "scared" of it. Some first time shooters need to warm up to the idea of it all. My GF jumped in with both feet. AR's, .45s, 16 gauge. She's not normal though ha (I hope she doesn't see that).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As others have mentioned, you may try starting small and working up to her comfort level. My wife LOVES my Walther P22 (well, I guess it is more her's now).

Did you happen to ask your girl WHY she "shut down"? She may just tell you!

Another tidbit: let her shoot with someone else, take a class, or meet other lady shooters. Lot's of new shooters feel uncomfortable with their significant other at the range (male or female). Might not be the gun at all.

byhova

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    What about revolvers? I have been told that women should shot revolvers because they cannot pull back the slides on semi-autos. What are the experiences out there? A woman's experience would be helpful.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Personally, I don't think I would want you for an instructor. Find someone else to assist her in selection and learning about guns or learn to be a "pull" instructor instead of a "push" instructor. Give her some credit for knowing what she wants or doesn't want.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Start listening HERE.

Seriously, her height and weight are completely irrelevant. Hand/grip size, finger length, and grip strength are really the only limiting factors. The typical female "weakness" thing is either feigned for the purpose of being coy or the manifestation of not being completely comfortable yet.

Have you diagnosed the exact cause of her shutting down? Even if you do succeed in finding a good-fit pistol, you may find that range time doesn't improve unless you address whatever bothered her.

That said, the only solution to your problem is to get out of the way and let her make her own choices. Point her in the right direction for information, get as many physical options into her hands as possible. Then let her decide.

You may stop listening HERE^

Good advice from a girl with experience. :yesway:

More unaccusatory questions and long pauses used for listening are encouraged. Real listening. Not while you're driving home from the range and you're trying to do two things at once. You know guys can't do that.:):

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What about revolvers? I have been told that women should shot revolvers because they cannot pull back the slides on semi-autos. What are the experiences out there? A woman's experience would be helpful.

Weak hand strength makes it more difficult to rack the slides on some of the smaller handguns due to the stiffer recoil springs, but not impossible. And that is usually correctible by teaching the individual the push-pull method.

This woman has never had a problem with recoil springs.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Weak hand strength makes it more difficult to rack the slides on some of the smaller handguns due to the stiffer recoil springs, but not impossible. And that is usually correctible by teaching the individual the push-pull method.

This woman has never had a problem with recoil springs.

I've been able to eventually rack the slide on every semi-auto I've tried, but some are a lot easier than others. I made sure to pick a gun for myself with a slide I can easily rack. It wasn't hard to find one, and I'm not very experienced. The push-pull method helps a whole lot.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012

Try to refrain from commenting on things of which you obviously have no knowledge. You end-up sounding like an idiot.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Try to refrain from commenting on things of which you obviously have no knowledge. You end-up sounding like an idiot.

I'm curious. Is everyone that disagrees with you automatically an idiot? This seems to be a recurring theme in your posts. Not trying to start a ruckus. There are facts and there are opinions. If someone's opinion is different than mine, well, we disagree. We can discuss it and perhaps I will learn something. Try it. It can be fun.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

This... (and I don't agree with her very often :P )

You live in South Bend... jump on the bypass and head over to Midwest Gun and Range (elkhart).

They have a bunch of pistols you can rent and try out or find someone with a couple of different options that will meet you at a range.

For a new shooter... .22lr is the logical starting point. The goal at this point shouldn't be to make her combat ready, it should be to show her that shooting is challenging, fun and not just for boys only.

If you can get a .22lr rifle for her (and let her choose which one is most comfortable)... throw a relatively inexpensive scope on it if money is an issue (although she will outgrow the scope quick so if you can afford it and don't want a piece of junk, spend $119 for a vortex rimfire from AA Optics) and then watch her smile while shooting little tiny groups at 25yds.

Better yet... take her to an Appleseed with it (there is one in Nappanee next month) and I can almost guarantee she will be ready to move on to bigger and better things. In my experience, when women in general, decide to jump into a male dominated type of activity (and by societal perception shooting is somewhat male centric)... they thrive on COMPETITION. They don't care about BOOM as much as precision. They don't want to play with the boys... they want to beat the boys at their own game. They want an activity that they feel like they can master from the beginning.... Not something that they are timid with and feel that its going to be hard to control... thats why I recommend a .22lr rifle.

One word of caution... once you open Pandora's box, just remember that "his and hers" matching firearms cost twice as much ;)

Last edited:

Sig Authority

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As has been suggested already, a P226 would not be a good choice for a typical female shooter. The gun is physically much too large. Find a competent teacher in your area (there are very few good ones) and have her learn from someone who knows how to get her started correctly. The learning begins when searching for a gun to learn to shoot correctly. If you were closer, we would invite her to our shooting classes. The P239 is indeed a good choice for a female shooter but there are others as well. Don't go above 9mm and avoid all double-stack guns. Good luck.

Top Bottom