• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last weekend we had a deer in the field behind us and while it was great showing the kids through the window, it would have been to have taken a closer look without spooking it. I've been thinking about getting a good set of binoculars for a while now and I keep thinking about buying a set of steiner's.

If anyone has any recommendations for good binoculars please help this bino noob out. Like anything else, the best quality I can get for the least amount of $$ spent would be nice, but it's got to be something durable too because sooner of later the kids will find them and put it through a torture test.

Last edited:

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've always wanted a GOOD pair of binoculars but couldn't justify the money while hunting so much in Indiana. While out in Wyoming last month I was poking around a sporting goods store and they had Nikon "Action Series" bino's on sale. I think the 10x42's were $89. 10x50's were $119. I ended up buying a set of 10x24x50's (variable zoom) for $149 and I really like them. Very clear and zoom in real tight for long range. I know you get what you pay for on the $600-$2,000 pairs but these fit my needs without really factoring into my play money budget. I'm not looking for growth rings on an antelope at 800 yards so they suit me fine.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I have stieners in the house that I won at a NRA convention in Louisville. Great bino's. But for the money one word. Nikon. Best buy for your bucks!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I had these for years and loved them.
    Say what you want, nothing is as demanding for optics as astronomy and these worked great, until I dropped them for the hundredth time.
    If you need waterproof try these

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    When you talk about the most bang for you buck my binos can not be beat. Right now I have 15ish models in stock ranging from 120ish to 1200ish so I have most price ranges covered. Vortex actually won new binocular of the year and best overall value this year.

cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    I have a set of Bushnell's I keep in the truck and really like for the money. Retail they were $200 but found them on sale at GM for $100 and are unreal for that price.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Earlier this year, I picked up a set of Vortex Diamondback 10x42s for bird watching. There are a few nits I could pick, but overall I like them a lot. Biggest pros are their clarity and light weight. I bought them on Amazon, where I was able to use a couple good discount codes (otherwise I'd have given the business to Alan @ A&A Optics). Binocs, chest harness and tripod adapter ran me less than $250 delivered.

41VVLofq3DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Earlier this year, I picked up a set of Vortex Diamondback 10x42s for bird watching. There are a few nits I could pick, but overall I like them a lot. Biggest pros are their clarity and light weight. I bought them on Amazon, where I was able to use a couple good discount codes (otherwise I'd have given the business to Alan @ A&A Optics). Binocs, chest harness and tripod adapter ran me less than $250 delivered.

41VVLofq3DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That is actually one of the 3 options i gave him. My price on them is 229, shipped, but the harness is anothe 20 and the adaptor is 10.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Yesterday bought wife a Nikon Monarch 5 in 8/42 on sale at Bass Pro in Clarksville for $229. Will be used for deer hunting from tree stands. They had a $50 instant rebate on them, very nice and lightweight. For the money they are very good. I have looked thru the Savorsrkis' a friend owns, they are nice, very heavy,..but to me cannot come close to justify $2,500. Then to have to worry about them "getting lost" ..If you got big bucks buy the most expensive things there are and don"t worry about it, its' only money. I use some Leupold Wind River 8/42..had them for about 6 years very good too..I had a pair of Bushnell rubber coated "whatevers" and gave them away..were total junk..never could focus very well.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My dad loaned me his Steiner Commando's one season. Good gawd they sucked.
    Nice glass, encased in a cinder block.

Would like Gold Ring but can't swing that right now.

What about Leupold's "Wind River"? They still make those (imported but of decent warranty IIRC).

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I have a set of Leupold BX-2's Arcadia's 10X and I'm pretty happy with them a little larger than I would had liked but has great clarity. Think I had a around $225 in them from BassPro. If it's in the budget I try to go Leupold.

Top Bottom