• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I need a machete for general woods clearing and brush work. Any recommendations?

Looking for something under $60, preferred American made. Is $60 too low for quality? If it is tell me I'll move up in price if it means additional quality.

If you have suggestions for other fixed blades that would do the job and fit the bill feel free to suggest. I have limited bladed tool knowledge so machete is kind of a broad term for large fixed blades in my vocabulary. Just something to hack trails and tall weeds with is really what I'm looking for.

Something that will last me a good number of years. Decided to stop messing around after I've found my $7 Wal-Mart machete can't cut paper. Funny actually, I got one of them about 4 years ago that did a decent job and had a serrated tip. Even the chincy machetes have gotten chincier!

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Here you go -> Ontario Machetes USA Ontario's are good to go and you could get two for your price range.

If you decide to look to something other than US made check out Condor -> Condor Machetes
    I have a couple of theirs and they are quite good. Must be since ESEE uses Condor made blades for their machetes. Condors will come sharp while some brands ship them not fully sharp, for you to put the final edge on.

Tramontinas are supposed to be good for the price.

I find myself reaching for the Gerber brush trimmer the most often. It is actually made by Fiskars and found under both brands. Here is one on Amazon -> Gerber 31-000083 Gator Brush Trimmer - Amazon.com Mine actually has this style of handle on it ->Amazon.com: Fiskars 7860 Brush Axe: Patio, Lawn & Garden

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Have Knife Lady get you an ESEE Lite Machete. American made, under $60, and you can buy from one of INGO's best. What's not to like? :dunno:

Lite Machete is very cool however...

Lite Machete is not American made and isn't covered under the lifetime warranty.

ESEE Knives - Randall's Adventure and Training

The blade is made in El Salvador. Handles and assembly in the USA.

Having said that, the Lite Machete would definitely fit your needs.

I use a Gerber Gator Machete. It's been hard used and has held up well. Surprising for a Gerber. SOG makes a good machete for about $50.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Lite Machete is very cool however...

Lite Machete is not American made and isn't covered under the lifetime warranty.

ESEE Knives - Randall's Adventure and Training

The blade is made in El Salvador. Handles and assembly in the USA.

Having said that, the Lite Machete would definitely fit your needs.

I use a Gerber Gator Machete. It's been hard used and has held up well. Surprising for a Gerber. SOG makes a good machete for about $50.

All true. To me, the final assembly location makes it "Made in America" enough though. And you're right about the SOG; I had one in my truck for a long time until my buddy "borrowed" it :D

Kryptonite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Try a Tops 230. American made. Can be had for around 100 bucks. Condor machetes are very nice and affordable though not made in USA.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    All true. To me, the final assembly location makes it "Made in America" enough though. And you're right about the SOG; I had one in my truck for a long time until my buddy "borrowed" it :D

Lol, dude we must have very similar friends. Almost exact same story. Notice I'm using a Gerber cuz my SOG walked home with a buddy. :laugh:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Try a Tops 230. American made. Can be had for around 100 bucks. Condor machetes are very nice and affordable though not made in USA.

Agreed I love my TOPS 230. It is a bit more than $60.00 but it is a great machete, and 101% American made according to TOPS. The only thing I don't like is the sheath. It has no retension device so it can fall out if you are rough with it. I'm thinking about getting a custom Kydex sheath made for it.

http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=375

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Be very careful buying the sog or gerber machetes. The older ones were decent but all the newer ones are very hit and miss. There is a older thread in here where multiple meme era have broken both of them and done so with very little use.

Esee lite machete is a great choice. The tops machete is also awesome but is around 100 dollars. And one of my favorites is the custom fiddleback forge machete also can be had for around 110 dollars but has the most comfortable handles made IMO. He buys blanks and puts his edge on it and rehandles them. Not 100 percent American made but close and the end money stays here. He is a very nice guy also.

Condor is a great company. Not made in America but still some great piece with decent sheaths for very good prices. I dig the joe flowers designs. He is a awesome guy. Always out in the woods testing them and tweaking the designs with condor.

Top Bottom