• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I've always said: "If I ever get a .270, it'll be a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight." If you find one for $450, please PM me.

badapples

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Jennings County
    Thanks for the info. Just looking for a cheap 270 to plink around with. Will definetly chec k out the ruger and savage. What are your thoughts on ruger American or savage axis?

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    I don't know about the Axis, but I've worked with a couple other Savages and they were all good shooters right from the box. Except the triggers, but these were older ones with out the "target" trigger. One was a 7mmMag and it would consistantly shoot 2"or so at 200yds, one was a 300WinMag would consistantly shoot 1.5"at 200yds and one was a 30-06, it shot the worst, 4" at 200yds.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I second Savage or Ruger. I have both. Savage shoots better Ruger looks nicer. Savage shoots sub MOA (one hole) out of the box with factory ammo. Cant go wrong with either just depends what you want.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had an Axis, shot great. Stock sucked as well as trigger...... but the latter could be made tolerable for about $2.
    If somebody made a decent aftermarket stock..................but then that kind of defeats the idea of buying such a cheap rig in the first place.
    So I'd stay clear of the Axis, unless you want to work on making the reg stock slightly better and living with the funky ergonomics.

Synth stock cheapy? Rem 700 ADL.......used to see them for sale new @ 400 bucks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The Ruger American is a nice/cheap rifle. My buddy has one in .223 and it seems like a solid rifle! If I were in your shoes I would look at a Remington 700 though. Some variants can be had in your price range!

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    I have purchased 2 different older Ruger M77 .270 for under $500. They were from the early '70s and both had scopes. One shoots under a minute for 3 shots and the other shoots a triangular group right at 1 minute. Both are great hunting rifles.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'd recommend trying to strike a deal on a Savage Model 110. Comes with the accutrigger and will be a very good shooter about $450. You can even do a package deal on them with scope and mount for about $50. Not great scopes but not bad.

for the price you won't get a better shooting gun.

If it were me I'd save up and get the great American rifle - Winchester Model 70 in 270win. Matter of fact that's the gun I'm looking for in the Super Grade version.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If I were looking for a 270 in that range, I'd go one of two ways:

1. Thompson Venture
    2. Gunbroker, search for Winchester 670.

The 670 is a Model 70 action and barrel and trigger, with a cheaper trigger guard and bolt handle, and a birch stock. A couple of years ago you could get them practically unfired for under 300, they've gone up some as people get educated. Tackdrivers, and they handle just like their aristocratic cousins.

Top Bottom