• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once you become a IN resident, you need an IN license. The Florida license no longer covers you here.
    True, but I was speaking in terms of carrying in OH. If G19's an Indiana resident with an FL resident's license and no IN LTCH, I don't see Daniel Harless's brothers in blue accepting the resident license from a state where the holder is no longer a resident, unless FL law automaticly transmutes the resident license into a non-resident license upon absence from the state/residence in another state for a protracted period of time.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A chronic INGO topic/complaint/whine "I want to carry my gun in Ohio but I don't want to get a Florida license" is being addressed by the Ohio General Assembly. A proposed statute would recognize the license of any state that recognizes Ohio's carry license. This would allow Larry holders to carry in Ohio.

"Stand your ground" bill clears legislative committee, heads to House floor | cleveland.com

I think I also saw that Ohio was considering lifting it's ban on SBR's and SBS's, "...bringing Ohio more into line with their neighboring states..." or something like that.

Was that part of this bill, or something entirely separate?

I was goping if that passed that it might prompt Indiana to lift it's ban on SBS's.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Did we (IN) and Ohio not already have an agreement where we both honored each other's paperwork and then either us or them yanked that agreement. :dunno:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Is this good or bad? On it's face, this sounds like something we ought to go for here but is there a trade off that would make this not worith it?

Bumping this again for your thoughts.

The legislation also seeks to make Ohio compliant with the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, so anyone with a state handgun license doesn't have to get an NICS check when they purchase a firearm.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Doesn't Indiana recognize any state's carry permit/license that issues one?

If Ohio doesn't recognize ours, it's on them. My understanding is that Ohio has reciprocity with states that have similar carry permit/license requirements as them. Indiana doesn't require training, so no reciprocity.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    It's interesting how both sides take this legislation. The democrats are all like, :runaway:.

Meh. Stereotypical is a better description. You would have a hard time finding any state that has transitioned to freer gun ownership legislation that hasn't had similar reactions.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Doesn't Indiana recognize any state's carry permit/license that issues one?

If Ohio doesn't recognize ours, it's on them. My understanding is that Ohio has reciprocity with states that have similar carry permit/license requirements as them. Indiana doesn't require training, so no reciprocity.

Ohio will NOT recognize Indiana licenses because Indiana does not require a safety class as a prerequisite to obtaining a license.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    And we know this because . . . ?

Just askin'.
    I don't know but I have been curious about this myself. All of the states that border Ohio that have reciprocity have a training requirement and the ones that do not have reciprocity do not have a training requirement. Most of the states that Ohio has reciprocity with have a training requirement. The only one that does not appear to not have one is Washington.

Ohio does have a law that states that the AG cannot enter into an agreement with another state unless they have similar laws and Ohio does require training.

109.69 Reciprocity agreement.(A)

(1) The attorney general shall negotiate and enter into a reciprocity agreement with any other license-issuing state under which a concealed handgun license that is issued by the other state is recognized in this state if the attorney general determines that both of the following apply:

(a) The eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for that license are substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

(b) That license-issuing state recognizes a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

(2) A reciprocity agreement entered into under division (A)(1) of this section also may provide for the recognition in this state of a concealed handgun license issued on a temporary or emergency basis by the other license-issuing state, if the eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for the temporary or emergency license are substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code and if that license-issuing state recognizes a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.1213 of the Revised Code.

(3) The attorney general shall not negotiate any agreement with any other license-issuing state under which a concealed handgun license issued by the other state is recognized in this state other than as provided in divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section.

(B) As used in this section:

(1) "Handgun" and "concealed handgun license" have the same meanings as in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code.

(2) "License-issuing state" means a state other than this state that, pursuant to law, provides for the issuance of a license to carry a concealed handgun.

Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.190,HB 495, §1, eff. 3/27/2013.

Effective Date: 04-08-2004

The other issue of course with Indiana is that we do not have any reciprocity. We recognize or are recognized by other states.

Just curious, do you have more info on this, or think that I am on the right track?

Top Bottom