• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Remember the people down in Hendricks County are a sneaky lot. Use that night stick early and often on them.

Congrats and best of luck.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Thanks everybody! So far so good in trying to get myself conditioned and in good enough shape to blow through the physical testing. Anybody got any tips on building stamina for long distance running?

Run more. :D

I'm basically in the same spot, but with the town of Fishers. I tried out for ISP this year as well, made it about 75% of the way before I got cut. Good luck to you.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Do what you hate (running), and learn to love what you do (running). +1 VUPD advice on the treadmill, don't do it unless you're nursing an injury of some sort. The treadmill is only good for modifying your pace or recovery from an injury. I cheated myself on a qualifier with a treadmill. Also, shoot for the EXIT QUALIFIERS. No sense in "just making it". Good luck. I'm in line for three this summer, ironically all out of state :(

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    The entry minimums for HCSD are the exact same as the exit standards for ILEA and I've been shooting for those goals this whole time.

Thanks everybody for the encouragement!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Knock'em dead Neo! Well...not literally. That probably wouldn't help your chances much. :rolleyes: Anyway, you know what I mean.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Remember to do your stretching exercises, especially hamstring, calf, and quadraceps. Also, do abdominal crunches and stretches. Keeping your abdomen in shape prevents back injuries from running and you will need the strong abdomen for other activity as well.

Terry

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The entry minimums for HCSD are the exact same as the exit standards for ILEA and I've been shooting for those goals this whole time.

Thanks everybody for the encouragement!

Most agency's use the ILEA exit as their entry standards. You shouldn't have any problems if you are in even decent shape. I went through the basic academy in 06 at 44 years old and have been a smoker since my military days. I didn't have any problems at all. ILEA physical requirements are really pretty low if you think about it. But...there will be some people that will show up at ILEA on day one and be sent home because they failed the entrance assessment. They are VERY strict on the physical protocols. The class coming in when I was leaving lost around twenty. I saw people that could not do two push ups or sit ups!!!

One other thing about ILEA, they will not tolerate little indiscretions. They want officers to make it but they will boot one out in a heartbeat. We lost seven in my class. Good luck. It is actually kind of fun but long and busy.

cyberwild360

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I am a Marine Corps recruiter right there in Avon. If you want to work on running we (those waiting to go to bootcamp) meet a couple of times per week and do some good running workouts. Just an option. Either way good luck and "when" you make it look out for the expedition with the big Marine Corps - Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on it, and don't give it a ticket. Just saying ;)

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    My class lost one when she flipped the bird at another driver on her trip home from training. She was on a public road, in her POV, and in civilian garb. Nothing in the passenger compartment, or on her automobile indicated that she affiliated with the academy, or any LE department.

An academy staff member that knew she was in training, had seen her and recorded the tag. She was gone the following Monday.

I am a Marine Corps recruiter right there in Avon. If you want to work on running we (those waiting to go to bootcamp) meet a couple of times per week and do some good running workouts. Just an option. Either way good luck and "when" you make it look out for the expedition with the big Marine Corps - Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on it, and don't give it a ticket. Just saying ;)

Busch: Thank you for the example. I had no idea the ILEA was so strict (not that they need a reason to be). I always try to mind my P's and Q's so no worries there.

Cyber: I would love to go run with the marines sometime. You will benhearing from me very very soon

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    I just graduated from ILEA in July, it is not hard or anything to worry about, if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.

Good Luck with the rest of the process!

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Run more. :D

I'm basically in the same spot, but with the town of Fishers. I tried out for ISP this year as well, made it about 75% of the way before I got cut. Good luck to you.

Since I work nights I likely won't be around while you are doing any of the testing stuff, but if you ever have any questions about Fishers just shoot me a pm and I'll answer everything with a no bs and no punches pulled answer.

To the OP:

Congrats!! It's a career that you will love and hate and sometimes at the same time, but I wouldn't do anything else. As far as ILEA I can't help you there, I went through on an out of state waiver.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Can you clarify "little indescretions" please?

Just wanna know what sort of things recruits got let go for

Basically anything showing a lack of honesty/ ethics and you are gone. We lost four for cheating on a written exam. In so many words they were given an opportunity to cheat and they took it. Boom gone the same day. Break any of the major rules and you are gone. They do have the time nor patients to mess with people that are lacking ethics. And they will be constantly looking. I am sure every class will loose some. Failing to many exams,alcohol, sexual harassment and stuff like that get get a person booted.

On your first week there they go into the drill sgt. yelling in your face type stuff. Some people get freaked out with it. On our day (Evening)one I was walking into the building. I saw a taxi pull up out in front of the main entrance. Out comes a basic sprinting for the cab. He dove in the back seat yelling go go go. :rolleyes: Heck I though it was a robbery or something. Ended up being a guy that didn't like getting yelled at and wanted to go home. He took a cab all the way to Gary!!! Heck they could care less if you quit. It gave me a good laugh.

It is not that bad. It is what a person makes of it.

cyberwild360

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I bet that would have been a site to see, the guy jumping into the cab. And yes j706... that is where I live. I'm gussing you have seen me around the complex? I can't send PM's because I don't have 15 posts...

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Indiscretions eh? We had one recruit get busted for public indecency while on weekend out of town. Caught naked in the front seat of his pickup with his girlfriend, near enough to a playground that the charge was escalated. Another came to class still drunk from the night before, and then on the first 10 minute break, puked on the floor in the bathroom. Then we had another recruit go to his daughter's boyfriends house in a fit of rage, handcuff the boyfriend, and transport him back to his residence...um yeah!!! There's gotta be something wrong with that. The guy was huge though...kinda like the guy from green mile. Ironically he was jailed in the same facility that my city shared with another municipality.
    All that to say, just keep your head in the game and FOCUS on your training. NOT your social life or the stupid things people will do around you, because they always will. Academy is like any job should be, only magnified. You are always in a fishbowl. If you don't like that, wait 'til you get out on the street. Good luck with it all though.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Thanks everybody! So far so good in trying to get myself conditioned and in good enough shape to blow through the physical testing. Anybody got any tips on building stamina for long distance running?

Just start running, make sure you are taking deep breaths to get max O2. Put it this way: I went through the academy in 1997. After I graduated, I stopped working out, but stayed in "shape" (my definition) by moving around, watching what I ate, etc.. I could always do the ILEA exit standards for situps, push-ups, and the jump. I started apply in 2009 for other departments and knew I would have trouble on the run unless I started running. Started doing sit-ups, push-ups, and running. The first day, I could only run about 3/4 of a mile, running a ways, then walking, then running, etc.. I did 1.5 miles mixed. The next day, it was about 15 degrees warmer outside. It did make a difference. I was actually able to run the whole 1.5 miles. Please note this was more like a slow jog, and I likely should have paced myself. After running the full 3/4ths mile, I should have walked. The next day I should have done that again, then the next day bumped it up to 1mile of run, .5 walk. You never know if your heart can take a jump start like that. Mine didn't stop beating, so I was OK. If I had to do it over again, I would start slow and build my way up to a mile and half over a week, week and a half time. If you can jog 1.5 miles, you will make the time. You could almost run 1.25 miles, and walk the remaining .25 and still make the time.

I would suggest that once you are able to run/jog 1.5 miles, immediately focus on the sprint. I did no quick running, and the sprint about killed me. You get enough time, but it is just different than having 16+ mins. to jog 1.5 miles. Sprinting takes more out of me than anything else. Also, make sure you have a few extras in you. Do situps morning and night, same for push-ups. Make sure you can at least do five more than the minimum because you will be nervous during testing.

If you can get the physical stuff, and have good logic/intelligence, your main issue (as with most) will be the board interview. First time, I didn't make it high enough (missed it by two, right in the middle), the next time, barely made the cut off (actually went up 10 spaces, but the cutoff was one below me). After some hard thinking, I dropped out of the process and decided I didn't want to start over with a probation period, working nights for who knows how long, face a possible layoff due to the economy, etc.. I learned a lot in those two processes:
    #1: Physical tests and written tests should be cake. Written tests count as points, physical not so much*
    #2: Board interview: Give examples, practice speaking with friends/family. Use internet to find common questions asked.
    *First process I was in, they took the top 30. Second process, same year, same dept., they took the top 24 after #1 and #2.
    #3: Background phase. Didn't make it first time. After #2, found out there were two groups of 12. First group was cut into six after backgrounds. This is where I bowed out. Was told that if those six in the first 12 did good on Chief's board interview, they would likely get hired. With the background, tell them everything, don't lie. Do whatever you can to find old roommates, addresses, co-workers, etc.. They will want info on some or all of them.

Good luck.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Check out the hundred pushups program (google it) for your pushup training. I've found the 200 situps program to be helpful as well.

Top Bottom