• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I'm trying to teach myself gunsmithing in hopes of a career change. I'm getting all the videos and technical manuals I can find. I know that isn't any substitute for actually putting hands on metal, but I'm learning what I can. I already learned pretty well about Glocks and I'm currently learning how to build AR15 rifles. Eventually I'm going to learn 1911's and AK's and other very popular builds. One day I hope to be able to be able to do pretty much any kind of work on any gun but I know that is asking a lot.

My question is, what tools do I actually NEED right now? Brownell's has various "complete" kits in excess of a thousand dollars. Those same kits, minus all the various jigs for putting in a bolt pin on an ar15 and the like, would cost less than $300 if my estimation of "necessary tools" is correct. These are things like a vice and punches and torque wrench and go/no go guages, etc. I already have all the necessary cleaning equipment.

Also, I want to make a proper investment in tools and not just get cheap junk that will break but I don't see a point in overpaying for hyped up stuff either. What brands are decent?

As for right now, I'm going to gather up the tools I need. I will then hand select each individual part I need to build a complete ar15 a3 and put it together myself. So although the task at hand might require only a few certain punches, for example, I'm not against buying the whole set as I will need it for other jobs down the road.

Thanks in advance to all of you who take the time to offer your assistance.

Last edited:

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I have also just started a little gunsmithing on my guns and picked up a brass hamer and brass/steel/nylon punch set from cheaper than dirt, a file set and standard and metric allen wrenches from harbor freight. not top of the line stuff but for what I need it to do, its good enough for now. Im a mechanic by trade so I have all kinds of other tools handy. BTW I couldnt find brass punches small enough locally, tried sears, home depot, even snap-on and matco brass punches were huge.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i recomend you buy tools as needed. there are so many speciality tools you would spend a fortune buying them all at once.

couple basics

good screw driver kit
    brass hammer
    regular and roll pin punches
    torque srew driver
    good set of honing stones

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    brownells gunsmithign hammer 20 bucks
    starret punch set 45
    roll pin punch set 25ish
    magnatip starter set 49.99

99.9999 percent of the work i do, is with these tools

or at least they get used on every single gun that i put my hands on.

just reread your post and think i might add.

roll pin starter punches (really help w/ the ars)

any anvile style vise and wrap the steel with lead, then make some leather covered pieces of wood that are custum fit to work in between the jaws. i use the vise as often as the other stuff, and is imperitive for when you torque the barrel nut down an an ar

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i recomend you buy tools as needed. there are so many speciality tools you would spend a fortune buying them all at once.

this, i have well over 10,000 in tools. and i just dropped another 250 bucks to get the tools i need to do a complete performance upgrade to thompson center encore, pro hunter, contenders, and g2's with probably another 100 to go if i end up needing the larger sized reamers.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    when i started i basically did jobs for years for the cost of tooling. i didn't make a dime for a long time. gunsmithing is a hard job to break into. and its even harder to make a 100 percent career out of it. some of the single tools will cost well into the thousands just for 1 tool. its really a issue of where do the tools become not profitable

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    brownells gunsmithign hammer 20 bucks
    starret punch set 45
    roll pin punch set 25ish
    magnatip starter set 49.99

99.9999 percent of the work i do, is with these tools

or at least they get used on every single gun that i put my hands on.

just reread your post and think i might add.

roll pin starter punches (really help w/ the ars)

any anvile style vise and wrap the steel with lead, then make some leather covered pieces of wood that are custum fit to work in between the jaws. i use the vise as often as the other stuff, and is imperitive for when you torque the barrel nut down an an ar

I would recommend the exact same tool list. The vice is especially useful. I would also get some needle nose pliers and dental picks.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    I've been looking at calipers and a torque wrench. Does craftsman sound alright? There are some much cheaper brands but I like the idea of going in any Sears and trading them out if they ever break. I know you get what you pay for. I've been instructed that the barrel nut is to be just above 30 lbs on the AR so I figured I'd need it. In addition to what you all have already mentioned I was told I ought to get files. Its not such a big deal, I just want to make sure I'm not buying stuff I can do without.

I've been looking on Midway USA and although it sees like the site isn't as organized as Brownell's it is much cheaper and the tools seem to be more relevant. I'm also looking at amazon.com for what it can offer and then just seeing what all is available through google shopping.

This is all very good information. I appreciate it. I'm not trying to do this full time. Not right now at least. I'm just trying to learn the ropes and start doing builds and repair to make some extra money. Times are rough and I can't be in the sun because of a skin condition so my opportunities are kinda limited.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    just start working on your own stuff and get the tools as needed. "files" is rather bland, i have over 20 files for differant tasks, all quality american brand files. they range from 8 dollars a piece to 50 depending on the task.

there isnt a set, get this stuff, list. get what you need as you need it.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Try to find a copy of the book "GUNSMITHING AT HOME Lock Stock and Barrel" by John E. Traister. I love this book he goes through a progression from the hobbyist to a full fledged gunsmith . Tells you what to start with and how to progress. Even gives you a layout of setting up your shop. Found it at Wall Mart several years ago and refer to it often. It was my first read when I decided to refinnish my 98K.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    personally, considering any old Joe can go get books on building/working on popular guns....and pay to take a few "gunsmithing classes" to call themselves a gunsmith........................but a true gunsmith is part chemist,woodworker,machinist, mechanic, and is very familiar with design/engineering practices......meaning must not just know how to knock a few pins out of common guns but must understand ballistics and all the chemical and physics aspects within as well as chemical processes of metals and finishes................also must be VERY familiar with metals and proper machining techniques......that being said...it is a good idea to practice with whatever tools you pick up here and there working on yours and friends' guns....but if you wish to be marketable...you really need to study the chemical, ballistics aspects and try to get into a GOOD machine shop to learn as much as you can in exchange for a little free labor, then maybe down the road they will allow you to use their equipment for projects (i.e. lathes, mills, etc)...equipment like this are worth their weight in gold to a true gunsmith and if you at least have access to use them, they are worth your investment...............I don't consider local dealers who advertise "Glock certified armorer" and the like as a REAL gunsmith

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    personally, considering any old Joe can go get books on building/working on popular guns....and pay to take a few "gunsmithing classes" to call themselves a gunsmith..............(truncated)

I totally agree with your position. For brevity's sake I use the term "gunsmith". I suppose a better term for what I'm trying to do would be "gun builder." I will be looking for a machinist apprenticeship when my current commitments allow. I also understand that there is a lot to know from many disciplines. I weld some, so I know how important it is to know things like which flux to use, etc. and how complicated metallurgy can be. One day I hope to be able to do the whole nine yards, just as you described.

I agree that I should buy things as I need them. I'm just trying to eliminate unnecessary tools and to find less expensive alternatives to some of the tools that Brownell's is marketing. For example, their lower reciever vice block is $50 but I have seen similar products for as little as $7 and I believe that I can fabricate a sufficient device out of wood and felt or leather for even less and possibly do without it entirely. It is this sort of thing that I'm inquiring about as an example.

Thanks for the advice though guys. I'm really understanding a lot more than I did.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I totally agree with your position. For brevity's sake I use the term "gunsmith". I suppose a better term for what I'm trying to do would be "gun builder." I will be looking for a machinist apprenticeship when my current commitments allow. I also understand that there is a lot to know from many disciplines. I weld some, so I know how important it is to know things like which flux to use, etc. and how complicated metallurgy can be. One day I hope to be able to do the whole nine yards, just as you described.

I agree that I should buy things as I need them. I'm just trying to eliminate unnecessary tools and to find less expensive alternatives to some of the tools that Brownell's is marketing. For example, their lower reciever vice block is $50 but I have seen similar products for as little as $7 and I believe that I can fabricate a sufficient device out of wood and felt or leather for even less and possibly do without it entirely. It is this sort of thing that I'm inquiring about as an example.

Thanks for the advice though guys. I'm really understanding a lot more than I did.

brownells is not cheap.....if you apply a little enginuity you can make shift different items a lot of the time...like you said out of wood or something...having the experience I have in composites/plastics I would make a mold of the side to make my own vise block if it was cheaper than buying one...but that's just me.......or shop discount tool places like ebay often has decent stuff.....harbor freight tools makes you dollar really stretch just really hit or miss on quality depending on the type of tool you buy there....there are of course some tools you really should spend the money on, but cheap will get you by to begin with and give you the opportunity to judge which tools you would rather spend more on later......I come from a long family history of military, engineers, mechanics, gunsmiths, etc....and one saying that's become a staple is "a tool pays for itself if you use it once"......meaning, if you had not bought that tool how much would it have cost you to pay someone else to do that portion of the work for you?.....just a little more food for thought

Top Bottom