• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Is this even possible? I know that Indiana has no provisions currently for recalling elected officials at the state level. I know that some states do, as witnessed by the attempt to recall Governer Walker of Wisconsin. Can this be done to a U.S. Senator and, if so, does this require amending the Indiana Constitution? I know we would have to set the bar pretty high to avoid this during every cycle but if might be worth pursuing in the case of Senator Donnelly who seems to love to promise he is a social conservative and then vote along party lines every time. Even if unsuccessful it might have some impact if a good attempt was made. It could even have the desired effect simply having it brought up in the Indiana House.

Can this be done? Kirk? Anyone?

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Good idea, Master Chief. The junior senator from Indiana probably knows there's a snowball's chance of that happening and the usual "remember what this guy did come re-election time" banter will have long faded away by the time 5.5 years has passed. Ironically, his predecessor is one of the very few who didn't leave office either by their own choice or in a hearse after a (too) long career extended by the voters they continually failed to represent.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Is this even possible? I know that Indiana has no provisions currently for recalling elected officials at the state level. I know that some states do, as witnessed by the attempt to recall Governer Walker of Wisconsin. Can this be done to a U.S. Senator and, if so, does this require amending the Indiana Constitution? I know we would have to set the bar pretty high to avoid this during every cycle but if might be worth pursuing in the case of Senator Donnelly who seems to love to promise he is a social conservative and then vote along party lines every time. Even if unsuccessful it might have some impact if a good attempt was made. It could even have the desired effect simply having it brought up in the Indiana House.

Can this be done? Kirk? Anyone?

Indiana does not have a provision in it's state constitution to recall our senators.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think it would be VERY hard to do without the overwhelming support of the people that elected that person into office.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Indiana does not have a provision in it's state constitution to recall our senators.

Yes, thanks, I was aware of that. I wanted to know if it was possible? I have never heard of a recall vote on a sitting U.S. Senator. Is there a Federal law that precludes this?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think it would be VERY hard to do without the overwhelming support of the people that elected that person into office.

Well, it probably should be hard to do. Doesn't mean the effort isn't worthwhile. There are many ways to communicate. The best way to communicate to a politician is to threaten their ability to do what they most desire. Which is to stay in office as long as possible.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes, thanks, I was aware of that. I wanted to know if it was possible? I have never heard of a recall vote on a sitting U.S. Senator. Is there a Federal law that precludes this?

I believe it is only possible if your state constitution has a provision for it. i believe 18 states do. And they tend to be LIBERAL states.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    if you call it right. I don't. I far and away prefer TERM LIMITS. 2 terms should be PLENTY for any senator.

Well, I agree with that. I just think this should be pursued. If an amendment is needed to the Indiana Constitution then what better time than now? If nothing else it will serve notice to those in office that people are dissatisfied.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    :gasp: You mean a LIBERAL state actually did something right?

Ummm, these liberal states were not always liberal. Many of the most liberal states today were among the revolutionary states. Where would the USA be without the patriots from NY, MA, CT, MD, and DE? Nowhere!

A lot has changed since 1776! If they had been liberal back then we'd all enjoy afternoon tea and crumpets and sing "God Save the Queen" at ball games!

I laugh every time I see a NH license plate that says "Live Free or Die" on it. There are no more people in NH that believe that than there are that believe "In God we trust!"

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Ummm, these liberal states were not always liberal. Many of the most liberal states today were among the revolutionary states. Where would the USA be without the patriots from NY, MA, CT, MD, and DE? Nowhere!

A lot has changed since 1776! If they had been liberal back then we'd all enjoy afternoon tea and crumpets and sing "God Save the Queen" at ball games!

I laugh every time I see a NH license plate that says "Live Free or Die" on it. There are no more people in NH that believe that than there are that believe "In God we trust!"

Sad but true.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I find it hard to believe that if an elected official violated a law, that there is nothing that can be done? If they violate their oath of office, why administer an oath of office if when it is violated, everyone looks the other way or says, there is nothing we can do about it? Violating the constitution is now acceptable?

If so we are in more trouble than I ever imagined.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    I find it hard to believe that if an elected official violated a law, that there is nothing that can be done? If they violate their oath of office, why administer an oath of office if when it is violated, everyone looks the other way or says, there is nothing we can do about it? Violating the constitution is now acceptable?

If so we are in more trouble than I ever imagined.

Yes we are in that much trouble. The Constitution is being totally ignored by the President, the Congress and the Supreme Court. 545 traitors to the Constitution. And therein lies the problem. There is no one left with the power to do anything to those that are violating the Constitution.:dunno:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    if you call it right. I don't. I far and away prefer TERM LIMITS. 2 terms should be PLENTY for any senator.

I understand your point, but I don't agree with it.
    What would a Senator do in his third or fourth term that he couldn't do it in his first or second, especially if he knows that's all the time he's got? A really corrupt candidate with his eye on the prize could do a lot of damage in twelve years.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England

WOW! You are so misinformed...:dunno:

NH is very 2A friendly. Many of us stuck in MA may have to consider a move north if MA decides to try and top our other neighbor's though. As it stands MA already has top 5 most restrictive laws and the governor has national aspirations so we may stay status quo.

If not up to NH it is! NH has no state income tax, no sales tax, and the same Brady rating as IN...:ingo:

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    No, it's not possible. Federal elections and terms of office are governed by the U.S. Constitution. A 1967 recall attempt on Frank Church of Idaho was shot down by the federal court on that basis.

Top Bottom