• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    CONCEPCION, Chile — Security forces said Monday they arrested dozens of people for violating curfew after looters sacked virtually every market in this hard-hit city and Chile's earthquake toll surpassed 700. President Michelle Bachelet promised imminent deliveries of food, water and shelter for thousands living on the streets.
    "We are confronting an emergency without parallel in Chile's history," Bachelet declared Sunday, a day after the magnitude-8.8 quake — one of the biggest in centuries — killed at least 708 people and destroyed or badly damaged 500,000 homes.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i agree completely and my wife who never argued to me prepping but continually called me crazy for doing it finally admitted after seeing the news and how things happened in emergencies that she was very glad and relieved that i prepped so we wouldn't have to rush to the super market and the guns and ammo to protect the family,food, and other supplies we have stocked up now

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    And Chile is a developed nation. Maybe not first world but the pre-quake day to day in Haiti couldn't hold a candle to Chile. If something like this happened in the US we would see the same looting they have seen in both places.(maybe even worse!)

shftn6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    NW Monroe Co.
    And Chile is a developed nation. Maybe not first world but the pre-quake day to day in Haiti couldn't hold a candle to Chile. If something like this happened in the US we would see the same looting they have seen in both places.(maybe even worse!)

My thinking exactly! My plan is to make it worth their while to loot somewhere other than where my family and I are!

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    My thinking exactly! My plan is to make it worth their while to loot somewhere other than where my family and I are!

Looting is generally reserved for commercial districts, even in L.A. rioting/looting didn't really happen in neighbor hoods, so unless you live next to a mall/shopping center you should be 'relatively' safe... for a while...

Just don't think you will be able to go pick anything up!

But then again, if it happens in the US on a large scale, it will most likely be a long time until things get up and looting can(would?) spread to residential areas...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Looting is generally reserved for commercial districts, even in L.A. rioting/looting didn't really happen in neighbor hoods, so unless you live next to a mall/shopping center you should be 'relatively' safe... for a while...

Actually, New Orleans/Katrina proves this wrong. People did go into residential areas looting and committing other crimes.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    So, assuming only two people per household, that's one million roving zombies, all looking for somewhere to stay and some way to feed and defend themselves.... not good.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Actually, New Orleans/Katrina proves this wrong. People did go into residential areas looting and committing other crimes.

Touche. But that was after a mandatory evacuation. I would think that had something to do with them doing so. (not to mention the mandatory gun donation they had going on...)

Starts in commercial zones is still the safest bet IMHO. Door to door won't happen until the stores are done for or they think people are mostly gone...

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    And when your house collapses into the basement and all of your supplies are under tons of debris and you can't get to them or they are ruined, I'll bet you will be carting out stuff from the local WalMart with all the rest of them.

It makes me think about where I keep some things for that type of SHTF.

None of us are immune from earthquakes.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Ol' Sloughfoot has a good point. A smaller nest egg of supplies ( little bit of all the necessary stuff) at an off site location is a good idea.
    But no, I wouldn't be carting off stuff from the local wal-mart.That's stealin' , chief.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Cpt Caveman, I have a strong sense of right and wrong. If my supplies are destroyed or unavailable, I will do what I have to do to feed and water my family.

I won't have a 50 inch LCD TV as I walk out, though. I cannot justify that kind of looting.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Unfortunately, the scene in Chile has made the point I have been trying to make to my parents and a few others a little clearer. A lot of my family are people who "know" the government will be there for them if a disaster occurs. Also, a lot of people don't think their neighbor two doors down would steal food or supplies from them but humans are ruthless when it comes to survival.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Slough foot, I respect your " strong sense of right and wrong". I just hope you're prepping like you do have one and not relying on the looting as part of your survival plan.
    I've seen a few sites that actually explain how to loot efficiently and what to do when the authorities show up. Weird...
    I'm not trying to start a urinating competition.
    Its the ruthless, hungry, nothing to lose, people that I'm concerned about.They are also, most likely, gonna be the ones that had been up until that point ,on the gov't dole. They've been getting it for nothing for so long the concept of working for food is lunacy to them. They deserve it. I was gonna say they deserve to starve when the SHTF but well, I'm having a pretty good day so, I'll just say lets hope for the best and prepare for the worst!

Top Bottom