• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    The urge for an AR chambered in 300 Blackout has been building since back in the fall of last year. I sold my 5.56 M4 shortly after the election at a HUGE profit (which turned out to be a HUGE mistake on my part!) with the intention of getting the Blackout underway after all the holiday business was behind me. The blanket of hysteria that descended on our fair country has put the project on the back burner until yesterday, when I finally decided prices had stabilized enough that I could swallow getting underway.

My goal, though still fluid, is to build a fairly standard 16" M4-style carbine with a camo finish based around FDE for under $1000. I've got images in my head but will post up photos that illustrate the general appearance later.

For starters, I scored this MAG Tactical lower finished in Cerakote FDE. MAG Tactical is located down in Newburgh, Indiana and after meeting their sales guy (Scott Ashworth) at a recent suppressor shoot and handling one of their new lowers, I knew this was the way I'd be going. Their lower is made from a proprietary aluminum alloy that comes in an astonishing amount lighter than a standard mil-spec lower. I thought it was titanium when I first picked it up! There really is that much difference in the weight. Note the extra material around the trigger and hammer pin holes. These lowers use special extended length pins, which are included:

MAGTactical_zpsaa35e86a.jpg

Courtesy of another INGO member, I was alerted to Palmetto Armory having lower receiver build kits in stock at a reasonable price. The big news here is that they claim to feature MIL-SPEC buffer tubes!!! If you're unaware, mil-spec buffer tubes feature rolled threads as opposed to cut threads. Rolled threads are something like 7-10% stronger than cut, which is not a significant difference but if I can choose one over the other, I'm going with mil-spec. As of moments ago, they are showing as already out of stock again:

Palmetto State Armory Classic Lower Build Kit

Expect posts and pics as they become available, and I hope to hear your thoughts and general input as this project moves forward. :ingo:

Last edited:

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    As it was explained to me, the bosses were actually put in place to eliminate pin slop after the weapon had been assembled and disassembled multiple times and fired for thousands of rounds. As this lower may serve in a modular capacity (also used with a 5.56/M4 and 9mm SBR uppers) it will likely see an absurd round count over the course of its service life, so this feature appealed to me. Oh, and let's not forget that MAG Tactical is an Indiana company, too. I like to keep my money local whenever possible.

I remember a friend's CAR-15 from years ago that had this pin problem. He kept futzing with repairing it but after numerous attempts finally gave up and located a replacement Colt lower somewhere.

Last edited:

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    you get excited about a mil-spec buffer tube, but buy a non mil-spec lower? (it does look cool though)

Also, I'm pretty sure PSA uses the term mil-spec to describe the diameter of the buffer tube (mil-spec vs commercial). I have a PSA mil-spec tube, and I see absolutely no difference between it and a couple other brands I have, including the threads.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    This lower went together as easily as any I've ever built. The lower build kit from Palmetto Armory looked good and all the parts were there, so I'm calling that a win!

I did the standard kitchen table trigger job, plus the low-mass hammer mod. Here's a tutorial that covers the spring mods. I did some additional stoning on the sear surfaces but otherwise, this about covers it: 15 Minute Practical Trigger Job for the AR-15

To see how I'd like the FDE finish on this rifle, I opted to spray paint it before going down the Cerakote road. If this turns out to be a color I can live with, it will take part of an afternoon to strip it and get it ready to 'kote. The color I used is Rustoleum #1917 khaki. Close enough.

photo2_zps441c4919.jpg

photo3_zps9082ccc0.jpg

It seems the big hurdle is going to be finding a suitable upper. I've found a couple in the $1200 range for a standard 16" A3 model, but those were from Armslist gougers. I'll keep my eyes open and continue checking with the dealers. Prices are slowly coming down and 5.56 uppers are beginning to show up in stock from time to time.

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    It seems the big hurdle is going to be finding a suitable upper. I've found a couple in the $1200 range for a standard 16" A3 model, but those were from Armslist gougers. I'll keep my eyes open and continue checking with the dealers. Prices are slowly coming down and 5.56 uppers are beginning to show up in stock from time to time.

I don't know if you will find anything in stock... but CMMG makes some nice uppers for decent price.

300 BLK Uppers

Top Bottom