Rant - WTF is going with MidwayUSA shipping costs???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    I have ordered from Midway USA for years, they've had decent prices for the most part and I've been happy with the products / service.

Imagine my surprise when I was about to place an order that amounted to approx $50 and the shipping (UPS Ground) was $28!!! Okay, one item was large (oversize - backing for target stand) but NOT heavy. So I exitted the order form.

Today, I priced out some stick on targets, and a new Caldwell target stand. $32 total order for the items. The shipping was gonna be $20! Removing the target stand (again thinking it was due to being oversized) brought the shipping down to $16.36. Wow, helluva difference, eh???? Three target packs and some camo tape must be pretty heavy to ship!!!!

In contrast, I ordered 300 cases of brass and a box of 100 bullets from Widener's and the shipping was just over $11. Now that would be heavy to ship.

Wow, getting expensive to ship stuff from MidwayUSA. I'll look elsewhere before ordering from them in the future.

Rant is off.....

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I average about an order a month and the last few have been $13.40/$300; 3.76/40 (USPS); 8.60/140; 13.50/140; 12.50/104. It appears they have a pretty fine grained shipping cost calculator.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Could be your selecting ups vs usps. Prices can vary greatly between the two. I know ups charges extra for residential and extra for county. Worth a second look.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Okay, here's an example of my "order":

Caldwell stand and 3 extra backing sheets, 1 pack of stick on targets, 1 roll of camo tape -

Midway price: $50.46 + Shipping (UPS) $29.00 = $79.46

Tactical Store: $59.96 + Shipping (UPS) $0.00 = $59.96

Guess who I ordered from? :):

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    A while back Midway started adding a handling charge and I sent an email saying that after years of buying from them I would start price shopping again. I got a reply back signed by Larry Potterfield explaining that they needed to add these charges in order to maintain their exceptional customer service.
    Seems like they are just building the handling charge into the shipping fee so it doesn't show up as a handling fee

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My shipping costs have risen over 20% in the last few months. They're throwing fuel surcharges, remote location costs, etc, etc, at me. I'm having to pass them on to my customers also.
    Materials have held steady for the most part UNLESS they're petroleum bi-products like styrofoam, plastics, cleaners, etc.
    I'm compensating anyway I can to cut my costs.
    Costs out of my control have to be absorbed elsewhere IF I'm to stay competitive and make a fair profit.
    Controlled rant here.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Wow! I just checked out a few things to buy from Midway that would total up to $37 and the cheapest shipping charge was also $29 for USPS Parcel. YOu DONT even want to know what shipping next day air is!! Midway is off my list now too!

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Okay, here's an example of my "order":

Caldwell stand and 3 extra backing sheets, 1 pack of stick on targets, 1 roll of camo tape -

Midway price: $50.46 + Shipping (UPS) $29.00 = $79.46

Tactical Store: $59.96 + Shipping (UPS) $0.00 = $59.96

Guess who I ordered from? :):

That really is ridiculous. I was surprised at my shipping cost a little as well with the order I just placed, but the only other place I knew to look was Cabela's and it would have been more.

My order cosisted of:
    250 round box of 168gr A-MAX bullets
    Frankford Arsenal digital caliper
    Lee quick change bushings
    Lee case lube

Total was $89.56
    Shipping was $13.12 for UPS ground. $13.06 for USPS and estimated delivery was 6 days later...

I didn't think shipping was too bad considering the weight of the bullets but I can't imagine what would possibly make yours so expensive to ship. Even when I bought my tumbler from them my shipping wasn't as expensive as yours and it came in a huge box!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Shop around

Try Midsouth Shooters Supply. I think, like most places, they add a handling charge unless your order reaches a certain dollar amount but I haven't noticed unreasonable shipping rates. I have used Midsouth for years. Their regular prices are often less than what Midway calls "sale" prices but I don't think they carry the variety Midway does. If I place an order over the weekend, it's usually on the porch Wednesday.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    To many other retailers

Got to jump on the band wagon also. I have cancelled orders from Midway when I go through checkout and find the cost of shipping too much to bear. There are far to many retailers online to have to deal with Midways inflated shipping charges. Shop around, you may not find the same item cheaper but the shipping will bring the total cost down to where its advantageous to buy other than Midway.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Got their flyer today, did you see the disclaimer for powder? 25.00 haxmat + 9.99 shipping fee.

Cancelled order when I was found out that I getting charged a Hazmat fee for each pound of powder.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    This is a shock to me. I just ordered some ammo and shipping was pretty reasonable.
    About $110 worth of ammo -my 10% off code from a midway email + $13 for shipping. I'd say it was a 12-14lb box.

On top of that I emailed them to say that two of the boxes of CCI Minimag had shattered but all my ammo was fine. I was pretty sure UPS dropped it because the box was damaged. I just wanted to let them know in case there was a better way they could package it. They sent me free ammo can for my trouble. Nice surprise. I've always had GREAT service from Midway.

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    I ordered a cylinder & slide 1911 trigger and a Wilson magazine. The shipping wasn't bad but it was sent in a plastic envelope. The trigger bow was almost flat and totally unusable.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    8#

Got their flyer today, did you see the disclaimer for powder? 25.00 haxmat + 9.99 shipping fee.

Cancelled order when I was found out that I getting charged a Hazmat fee for each pound of powder.

If you buy it in 8# jugs it's still only one fee. And I don't think they charge you for every lb unless you order them seperately. Ordered together I expect they charge $25 for as much as they can legally get in one box. Primers probably have to ship in a seperate box. And I'm pretty sure that UPS gets that fee, or most of it. It pays to get together with some buds and make one order and have it shipped to somebodys business address.
    My last order shipped for $4.44 USPS. Enough springs to rebuild a Beretta 92F and some hogue grips.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I haven't ordered since August.

One order was hogue grips and a simmons rimfire scope. $58 + $8 shipping via UPS

Second order was a tumbler, media separator and some magazines. $120 + $14 UPS

In both cases they got to my door within 2 business days.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Just for giggles I compared shipping my package to my work and to my home. They are 16 miles apart and all packages leave from the same distribution center in Indianapolis. The difference in cost as 5 dollars more to deliver to my home.

Top Bottom