• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Hit the range today with fellow INGO'ers akaindy (Aaron) and GunInfected1 (Jason). Goal was to run pistol drills, and lots of 'em. Aaron and I needed to get tuned up before the Magpul Dynamics course next weekend, and Jason needed to continue to work on some basics, given that he is still fairly new to shooting. Secondary goals included putting some more rounds through my new Kahr P380 and breaking in my new AGP Saiga-12 mags, and Aaron wanted to try out the new M4 stock adapter he had made for his Benelli M3 and function test the registered SBR lower he recently completed.

We started out with the dreaded Dot Torture (http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/dot-torture-target.pdf). This is an excellent course of fire for practicing the basics of sight alignment and trigger control. We ran through that a couple times, then introduced Jason to the 4-point draw and the concept of body indexing, breaking down the steps and working through the process dry before doing a few magazines' worth of draw and fire drills.
    aaron_dot_torture.jpg

jason_dot_torture.jpg

aaron_jason_draw.jpg

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i...5_16_10/?action=view&current=jason_double.flv

We then rolled into Magpul Dynamics' "BSA" (Balance of Speed and Accuracy) pistol drill:

Target is an 8" circle (I believe Magpul uses a 10" circle, but 8" is what we had)
    Start with the gun holstered, hands at centerline

3 yards
    Draw and fire 2 rounds (2 sec)
    Draw and fire 3 rounds (2 sec)
    Draw and fire 4 rounds (2 sec)
    Draw and fire 5 rounds (2 sec)

5 yards

10 yards

15 yards

25 yards

35 yards
    Draw and fire 2 rounds, kneeling (4 sec)

50 yards
    Draw and fire 1 round (4 sec)
    (due to range constraints, we had to simulate this by shooting at a 4" circle at 25 yards)

We ran that twice, then broke out the Kahr P380 and did a little bit of long range shooting just for grins. To my surprise, we were able to hit steel Pepper Poppers at with some regularity at 35 yards, consistently at 25 yards, and 100% of the time at 15 yards. Very impressive for a pocket gun. The Kahr now has 435 rounds through it with zero malfunctions and no cleaning.

jason_p380_steel.jpg

mark_p380_barricade.jpg

aaron_p380_case.jpg

After retiring the mousegun, we brought out the cannons. :D My new 8-round AGP magazines worked well; I only had one malfunction (a stovepipe that was quickly cleared) with one mag, in about 40 rounds. Ammo was Remington "Gun Club" #7-1/2 shot.

mark_saiga.jpg

A testament to the Saiga's controllability - two hulls in the air and the bolt about to release a third, and the muzzle is absolutely flat. I love this friggin' gun!

Aaron rocked his Benelli M3, sporting an M4 stock adapter that he machined himself (because nobody makes jack **** for the M3's). He shot some of his granddad's old reloads, which were smokey and nasty but all went "bang". They didn't have enough "oomph" to cycle the action semi-automatically, so he was forced to operate the gun to pump mode. I caught a couple neat pics:

aaron_benelli_3.jpg

jason_benelli.jpg

jason_benelli_smoke.jpg

After our shotgun fun, we headed over to the rifle range for some carbine and pistol work. First, Aaron ran my 10.5" LMT upper on his registered lower:

aaron_shorty_can.jpg

aaron_shorty.jpg

Then Jason got busy with Aaron's 16" carbine:
    jason_AR.jpg

While I shot some test footage with my new Hero Cam, both hat-mounted:

and on the gun:

We ended by doing some multiple-target walk-up drills from 25 yards to contact distance:
    aaron_close.jpg

jason_doubletap.jpg

mark_g34.jpg

mark_case.jpg

mark_moving.jpg

It was a productive and extremely enjoyable day at the range, spent with good friends. Looking forward to the next one!

Last edited:

akaindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    It was certainly a great day and the rain held off long enough for us to shoot through what we wanted to do. Now I'm hyped up and can't wait for friday to go to the Magpul class. Almost everything functioned perfectly, had some stove pipes with some of the ammo.

Will shoot some pics of the Bennelli conversion adaptor and post them in the next few days so people can see it. I'm thinking of mahcining one more with a slightly different angle just to try that out.

It was a two thumbs up day.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Cool AAR, the herocam is awesome too. Any more videos from that?

Nothing worth sharing (basically repetitive of the two I posted).

A few notes:

1) The "start" button is hard to detect and manipulate with gloves on; evidently I didn't hit it when I thought I did in some cases, resulting in the camera not rolling.

2) I had the microphone sensitivity set to "low," which made the gunshots sound funny and muffled speech to the point of being unintelligible. I have since switched it to "high" and will leave it there for the Magpul class.

3) The on-gun footage was neat, but the mounting location (clamped to the buffer tube) won't work from a practical standpoint, since it blocks the movement of the charging handle. Maybe a certain machinist I know can fab me up a rail mount in time for the carbine course in July... ;)

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Wow! That is quite an AAR. Like everyone else, I loved the hero cam. Doom 3D in real life, for sure.

akaindy, I had a chance to oogle your m4 stock work at the AR build. Looks nice. I bet you could sell them and make a pretty penny. After all, you know Benelli owners are loaded. ;)

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Really enjoyed your post, sounds like a great afternoon. Also thanks for the link to pistol-training.com. I had previously never heard of it and found it a good resource. :ingo:

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Purposeful fun!

Mark, Jason and Aaron:

That's an admirably productive range day. Fun combined with purposefulness. 'Good-on' each of you.

Mark ... I can see where that hero cam is going to be a nice addition to your tool set for assessing your range work. To say nothing of a wonderful boon to your AARs, of which we're the fortunate recepients.

Aaron ... I'm always impressed with folks with fabrication skills, (e.g.), the M4 stock for the Benelli. To craft something is to know it more completely. Kudos. :patriot:

Now I'm off to 'Google "hero cams". Dang you anyway Mark! ;) I just bought/installed the Bravo Co. Mod4 charging handle on my AR per your kind advice. My choices are quickly narrowing to two: 1.) Get a second job or 2.) Stop hanging out with Mark. :D

With appreciation,

Troy

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Mark, Jason and Aaron:

That's an admirably productive range day. Fun combined with purposefulness. 'Good-on' each of you.

Mark ... I can see where that hero cam is going to be a nice addition to your tool set for assessing your range work. To say nothing of a wonderful boon to your AARs, of which we're the fortunate recepients.

Aaron ... I'm always impressed with folks with fabrication skills, (e.g.), the M4 stock for the Benelli. To craft something is to know it more completely. Kudos. :patriot:

Now I'm off to 'Google "hero cams". Dang you anyway Mark! ;) I just bought/installed the Bravo Co. M3 charging handle on my AR per your kind advice. My choices are quickly narrowing to two: 1.) Get a second job or 2.) Stop hanging out with Mark. :D

With appreciation,

Troy

I would go with choice number 2! You will spend less money and well he is a MOD NAZI!

:popcorn:

:laugh:

Top Bottom