• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    Took a friend who'd never shot before and met up with a buddy from college and went to Wilbur Wright last Saturday. I hadn't shot rifles in a year so i was needing some practice pretty bad, and i just bolt a Colt LE6920 two weeks ago that i needed to take for a spin.

I made sure to take some video:D FYI, i kept having to push my shooting glasses up and it was really annoying, and those goofy straps were so i could attach them to my head. Ya, it looked stupid.
    http://youtu.be/pY3h1kW2rDM

So we got warmed up with the AR's to get started. Here's my friend, first time behind an AR. I had to him around it but he got the hang of it soon enough.

I had about 500 rounds of Tula .223 i wanted to burn up so i got the DPMS AR sighted in and let my friends take over. They thoroughly enjoyed shooting it and they both want AR15's now:D We did get two stuck casings but nothing grabbing the charging handle and bouncing the rifle against the ground didn't take care of ;).

So since i got them shooting I had to test out the FAL again and adjust the gas, i'd only taken it out once before.

I fed some .308 Core-Lokt ammo through it and it fed fine :yesway:. It was weird because even with the gas port open completely it fed, ejected, and held open the bolt hold-open. It was ejecting pretty weak until about #4, even then there was still some weak ejection, idk, it was functioning fine with the 7.62 PPU and German DAG, however the Tula .308, BAD NEWS.

It was failing to feed feed the next round almost every shot and i got a stuck case early on. The first wasn't so bad, but the second stuck case, :xmad:, it was stuck BAD. I had to beat on the charging handle with a HAMMER for several minutes and got a bad blister. So let it cool for a while, damaged a cleaning rod to no effect, and had to beat on it again a little later. Go figure, after praying about it ;), I finally got the round knocked out. I'm pretty impressed the folding charging handle held , the pin held, and the metal piece which engages the bolt carrier held, though they do appear slightly deformed and dinged up:dunno:

My friends thought i was mad when i went off on it with the hammer but hey, the round had to come out, period. Sooo, ya, i through out the rest of the Tula .308 and don't plan on buying Tula ever again.

Anyway, the FAL was fun, recoil wasn't bad at all, at 50 yards we shot it as accurately as the AR's. The gun gave a little shove and the sights came off target a bit more than the AR's, but not much. The trigger is around 9lbs. but it wasn't bad. I wished the range would let us do double taps:( That would have been fun. You may notice in the pics/video I had to remove the flashhider, I've just put some Red Loctite threadlocker on it, should solve the "spinning off" issue..

So in between that err..."fun" I took the Colt M4 for a spin, only had to move the sight about 1 click right and the front sight 2 clicks down and it was spot on. I used the procedure for the "Improved Battle Sight" and it worked great. An Improved Battlesight Zero for the M4 carbine and M16A2 rifle.

I put about 60 rounds of brass through it and another 120 of Wolf and didn't have any problems. It was accurate and worked as it should, good stuff. Also the 20 round Colt mags seemed to work fine and so did some C-Products mags that i thought i was going to have issues with, but they worked fine too. :yesway:

So here's our last rifle target:

The group on the guys neck was me adjusting the DPMS one last time, the group in the red bulls-eye was sighting in the Colt. This was only 50 yards off sandbags, ya, we're not great lol:laugh:

Some more rifle pics:

We spend the last hour or so on pistols, i had a glock 17 and a kahr CW9, and my friend brought his Bersa .380 and glock 27. We showed our first-timer how to properly hold the gun, load it, and release the slide, i think he hit the paper a couple times (25 yards)..
    Sorry, no pics of the target:dunno: Let's just say, we were able to hit the targets reliably...we weren't necarrily hitting where we wanted :): Two separate times when i chambed the CW9 and loaded the mag, when we fired, the mag fell out the bottom:xmad::laugh:. You can see it in the video. I suppose it wasn't fully seated the first time but, idk, that's not something i gloss over and when it happened to me i had made sure it was pressed in tight...so, ya, I guess the only thing i can do is try, try again.

Anyway, fun time, glad we did it and nobody got hurt and no guns exploded, lots of answered prayers...probably can't afford to do it again for another year and i think i'm ok with that.

Some pistol fun

Last edited:

Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Took a friend who'd never shot before and met up with a buddy from college and went to Wilbur Wright last Saturday.

Nice post. Thinking about going there soon, glad to know what I'm getting into. I'm bringing paper targets and a stapler, will I need cardboard as well? because I don't really have any laying around at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Nice post. Thinking about going there soon, glad to know what I'm getting into. I'm bringing paper targets and a stapler, will I need cardboard as well? because I don't really have any laying around at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

They provide either wood or Styrofoam to staple your target to, but every now and then the wood backing is so shot up, a good piece of card board isn't a bad idea to have just in case.

I have found that if you complain to the range safety person, he will change the backing with no complaint on his part, but usually they have been good about keeping the backboard usable.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    There is one RSO there that I've spent some time talking to. Maybe about 50 and a little on the heavy side. He's a gun guy and a good fellow especially if you play safe and appear to be semi-knowledgeable. Take time to get to know him if you should go there.

Top Bottom