Range Report: S&W Model 39-2 What a Dream!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    It seems very easy to overlook these older semi-autos. I had the good fortune to add one to my S&W collection last week. I took it to the range bright and early (and chilly) this morning.

My 1973 vintage 39-2 fired and shot like it had just come out of the box. Boy was it nice to shoot. Handled every kind of ammo I could stuff into it. I just love the grip angle and walnut grips too. Makes the more powerful ammo a pleasure to shoot and you don't feel like the gun is ever going to leave your hand.

Don't get me wrong as I own my fair share of polymer wonder 9's, but there is something about these vintage semi-autos we should not overlook. Price, ruggedness and just good ol' sex appeal (for a gun that is) and it's yes American Made. :patriot:

That's my range report for this Saturday!

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Ya, I hated giving that one up man but I'm glad to see you're happy with it!

It's a great pistol, I definitely enjoyed having it in my collection.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Nice review, old school guns are hard to ignore and should be appreciated.
    I love the trigger pull on the old 39-2 models, and I am a big fan of S&W automatics.
    Heck my girlfriend's brother carries a 39-2 on a daily basis as his LTCH gun.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    They are tremendous guns...I had a 39-2 in nickle but in my stupid youth I sold it. I am making up for it by buying things like my matched set of Combat Masterpieces.

I own one Combat Masterpiece and it's one of my favorites in the collection. It's dedicated for my wife's use as she grew up shooting revolvers and isn't fond of autoloaders.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I have had three S&W 39-2 0ver the years. Each one shot like a dream. Nearly perfect accuracy, grouping and just a pleasure to own.
    They carry fairly easily also.

Each time I have regretted selling or trading them. I am looking for one, but just getting harder.

They are a great piece.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A S&W 909 might be a viable alternative if you can't find a model 39 to your liking. Of course, they may be hard to find too!

Top Bottom