• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is pretty much the range report I posted on KahrTalk with some comments added.

Lets start with first impressions. I took the gun apart and cleaned it. I took note of the fine fit and finish, a quality well made machine. It was tight as hell. I cleaned it with Microlon Gun Juice. Ergonomics - excellent fits my hands well and points naturally for me. Nice wide faced trigger, I really liked this feature. Trigger seemed kind of mushy dry firing, but I expect that will straighten out after break in.

Now to the range.

Ammunition used:
    100 rounds of Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ.
    5 rounds of Winchester Ranger SXT JHP 230gr +P
    5 rounds unknown light load FMJ handed to me at the range
    5 rounds unknown different light semiwadcutter loads handed to me

Before I start I have to ask, What the heck is with this fire 200 rounds before you consider the gun reliable babble I picked up from the net and talking to others? The PM45 performed F-L-A-W-L-E-S-S-L-Y. Not one hick up from the gun out of 115 shots fired. None of the infamous Mag dropping while firing nonsense I had heard about. If that was a problem at some point and time, it has been fixed. Also the Mags dropped clean each and every time I hit the Mag release. (I was informed on the KahrTalk forum that most Kahr's nowadays really don't need the 200 round break in)

Accuracy was amazing at 7 yards. After a short time shooting I had to pick another spot on the target because I had made a hole the size of a child's hand by hitting in the same spot over and over. Now maybe some of you reading this do the same thing routinely. But at my age with my eyes etc I don't. I was impressed with how well this pistol shot. At 25 yards nothing to brag about. But I'm betting that had more to do with me than the gun.

Perceived recoil was light, (much less than expected for a sub-compact shooting 45 ACP) another aspect of this model that was a pleasant surprise. The gun functions so well that recoil with standard rounds is not a problem. Don't get me wrong your not shooting a .22 target pistol but recoil is totally manageable. I was able to shoot exactly where I aimed time and time again. Follow up was quick for a sub-compact. I also have a Kel-Tec PF9 and follow up with it is not as quick as this Kahr was.

The action is smooth. Not as great as some high end 1911's, but much smoother than some other handguns I own and have shot. I wont go into one on one comparisons, lets just leave it at I enjoyed shooting this gun.

The trigger. Wow after a slight take up, there is a long travel before it breaks, much longer than expected. Understandable on a pistol this size. Pretty much a revolver double action trigger. But it was longer than I would like or feel is necessary. During dry fire I thought the trigger was kind of mushy as stated previously. Well it did break in and I think after a few hundred more rounds it will be fine. My trigger gauge says she is set at 6.5 lbs. a bit heavy, I think 5.5 lbs would be plenty. It doesn't bother me enough to seek out a polish job on the trigger but it could be better. I have been told a simple RR with a different striker spring would make this more to my liking.

A quick word about the magazines. The two five round Mags performed flawless as well. But I did notice something. Most of my other pistols don't need the Mags snapped in the gun. Twice I inserted the Mag and didn't push it hard enough to seat properly. That is because when the Mag going in hits the Mag catch it then meets enough resistance you could think its all the way in, its not. This happens within a quarter inch of actually being properly seated in the gun. NOT a big deal, but something to be aware of. I consider this operator error.

Conclusions - This gun fits me well and will be my new daily carry weapon. I'm calling her good Betty. For me its astonishingly accurate and reliable, if it had a better trigger it would be perfect. I have never said this much about a gun online before, I'm just impressed with the Kahr PM45 I had to write something.

Thanks for reading - Be Safe

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just a data point; the mag dropping thing isn't "nonsense". Member Mac238 experienced that with his P45, as did I when I shot it. The gun also had additional reliability issues (failures to feed). He sent it back to Kahr, and says it has been 100% since they returned it to him.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Before I start I have to ask, What the heck is with this fire 200 rounds before you consider the gun reliable babble I picked up from the net and talking to others?

Putting several hundred rounds through a gun before using it in a personal protection role should be standard procedure for a couple reasons.

1. This ensures reliability and proper function of the weapon.
    2. It also garners your trust in the weapon, which is also very important.
    Thanks for the range report! :ingo:

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Glad to hear you are pleased with the PM45, I have one and love it I did have the mag drop issue but kahr sent me a new METAL mag release (mine must have been an older model the first one was plastic). Actually they have had to sent me two BUT the second problem was my fault and please take note: I had looked over the magazines and thought hey looks like a 1911 mag will work and I would have more capacity without having to buy a Kahr mag. So I tried it. Well it fits but when I put it in I chipped of the outer edge of the metal mag release and again caused mag drops oops. So I thought I would past this along to any PM45 friends to consider. I pocket carry mine always, and now have a spare Kahr 45 mag in my other pocket.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Just a data point; the mag dropping thing isn't "nonsense". Member Mac238 experienced that with his P45, as did I when I shot it. The gun also had additional reliability issues (failures to feed). He sent it back to Kahr, and says it has been 100% since they returned it to him.

I should have chosen better wording. I didn't mean to imply these problems never existed or that others had not experienced such problems.

I did a lot of research before purchasing this gun. And I saw quite a bit of negative on the net about the crucial 200 round break in and the Mag dropping problem. I was just trying to impress that I experienced no such problems when malfunctions were fully expected prior to making the 200 round mark.

There probably was a manufacture / design issue which I'm guessing has been resolved. That is what I have concluded since I have read many comments from owners and talked to two owners that have never had an issue.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Putting several hundred rounds through a gun before using it in a personal protection role should be standard procedure for a couple reasons.

1. This ensures reliability and proper function of the weapon.
    2. It also garners your trust in the weapon, which is also very important.
    Thanks for the range report! :ingo:

I agree a gun should be fully broke in before considered a carry gun. Since I didn't have enough .45 ACP on hand to fully break in the Kahr I haven't switched it out for my current carry gun yet.

I was amazed during research prior to purchase of this gun at the stress put on the break in period. As if malfunctions were fully expected.

I consider the gun reliable right now. But just to be cautious I will put another 100 - 200 rounds through at the first opportunity. If I can only find one box of fifty rounds in the near future due to the ammunition shortage then I will only put another fifty though it and start to carry it. I'm that comfortable with it. Regardless she will digest a few more rounds before I start daily carry with her. I have a carry gun now, so I'm not in a hurry to carry it.

If the situation were different. For example if I did not already have another gun already and if I didn't expect to be able to obtain more break in rounds within a reasonable time. I would carry it now.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Mine was tight in the beginning a well, Kahr make a very nice quality gun, no doubt, the PM series was a little pricey for me, but a very nice gun:yesway:

Anyway, congrats on your new found :cool:

Top Bottom