• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I test fired my first batch of 9mm reloads today. I was a little nervous at first, but after the first 2-3 rounds my nerves settled. Overall, I'm very pleased with the outcome. I was surprised by the accuracy of the rounds. They where on par, if not better then factory loaded ammo, but cheaper. It was a big confidence booster for me.

Test pistol: M&P9 Pro
    Distance fired: 7 yards
    Load
    Primers: CCI #500
    Powder: 4.2 grains of Hodgdon TiteGroup
    Bullets: Winchester 115 grain FMJ

Here is a pic of target. I fired 30 rounds center mass, and 20 at the head.

006-13.jpg

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Nicely done Chris! The first are nerve racking. I held my rifle as far away from me as I could the first time I shot my 300wsm reloads. BTW today at crosley I had a fawn walk out onto the 200 yd range and start feeding. Right as I was about to fire. Backed off the rifle and watched it for about 5 minutes untill it left over the hill.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Nicely done Chris! The first are nerve racking. I held my rifle as far away from me as I could the first time I shot my 300wsm reloads. BTW today at crosley I had a fawn walk out onto the 200 yd range and start feeding. Right as I was about to fire. Backed off the rifle and watched it for about 5 minutes until it left over the hill.

That's cool, I always enjoy watching nature. I was very pleased with the results, especially with it being my first batch. Definitely made it worth the time, effort, and savings. We will get together soon.

Mark in GA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Hi, I'm new to the board but I have been handloading for about 18 years with many many thousands of safe rounds under my belt.

Be really careful with Titegroup in your 9mm. It will work for light to medium loads, but the pressure curve is really sharp and it can get too hot really fast. You definitely don't want to try for full power loads with TG. You want a slower burning powder for that. I've have good results in the past with HS-6, Unique, and Accurate #5.

Mark in GA

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Hi, I'm new to the board but I have been handloading for about 18 years with many many thousands of safe rounds under my belt.

Be really careful with Titegroup in your 9mm. It will work for light to medium loads, but the pressure curve is really sharp and it can get too hot really fast. You definitely don't want to try for full power loads with TG. You want a slower burning powder for that. I've have good results in the past with HS-6, Unique, and Accurate #5.

Mark in GA

Thanks, I am just going to load plinking ammo. I'm happy with the recipe I have.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Looks good!
    Did you notice how far away the brass went away from you? I use that as an indicator about recoil and loads? It helps. If the brass landed in the same spot, it also tells you that the load was uniform too.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I test fired my first batch of 9mm reloads today. I was a little nervous at first, but after the first 2-3 rounds my nerves settled. Overall, I'm very pleased with the outcome. I was surprised by the accuracy of the rounds. They where on par, if not better then factory loaded ammo, but cheaper. It was a big confidence booster for me.

Load

Great job and good shooting ! So, whats next ? You going to make any tweaks or try the same load thru another gun ?

Glad to see you are learning really quick how you can produce more accurate and consistant ammo.

I was expecting to see you used 115 gr Rainier plated. I think I got that from another post. So, did you come across a good deal on the Winchester jacketed ? If you did, thats great. Jacketed are a bit more forgiving if you slightly over crimp them.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Looks good!
    Did you notice how far away the brass went away from you? I use that as an indicator about recoil and loads? It helps. If the brass landed in the same spot, it also tells you that the load was uniform too.

It was landing right next to me for the most part.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Great job and good shooting ! So, whats next ? You going to make any tweaks or try the same load thru another gun ?

Glad to see you are learning really quick how you can produce more accurate and consistant ammo.

I was expecting to see you used 115 gr Rainier plated. I think I got that from another post. So, did you come across a good deal on the Winchester jacketed ? If you did, thats great. Jacketed are a bit more forgiving if you slightly over crimp them.

I was going to use Rainier, but my local shop had a good deal on Winchester. I'm going to test the same load through my other 9mm's. Which includes my FNP, 92FS, and PF9. Then go from there.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    What I usually do is make about15-20 rounds in 3-5 different loads each and see which load a particular gun likes. I shoot it all the same day so all things are pretty much equal. Then I have my standard. Some of my guns like the max load and some are more accurate in the midrange. So far I haven't found anything that likes the slowest loads.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Is 4.2 grains correct? I only use 3.4gr and it feels like factory loads for me. What is your overall length? I'm using 147gr so that may be why. Just wondering if it's really 4.2gr or perhaps a typo and you meant 3.2 as another friend of mine loads 3.2gr titegroup. 4.2 sounds like a lot when one of the benefits of titegroup is you can use such a small load of powder and make it last longer. I was using somewhere around 4.2 grains when I was loading with slower powder. I'm curious how 4.2gr of titegroup is fine when 3.4gr is also fine.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Is 4.2 grains correct? I only use 3.4gr and it feels like factory loads for me. What is your overall length? I'm using 147gr so that may be why. Just wondering if it's really 4.2gr or perhaps a typo and you meant 3.2 as another friend of mine loads 3.2gr titegroup. 4.2 sounds like a lot when one of the benefits of titegroup is you can use such a small load of powder and make it last longer. I was using somewhere around 4.2 grains when I was loading with slower powder. I'm curious how 4.2gr of titegroup is fine when 3.4gr is also fine.

Always use reliable load data from the manufacturers. Having said that, 115 gr. bullet will use more powder than 147 gr. will.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

Load

Here is a pic of target. I fired 30 rounds center mass, and 20 at the head.

Nice. That is the exact load I use for my 115s, primer, powder, and bullet. I chrono'd them at just over 1100fps. They actually shot fine at 4 and 4.1 grains but I increased it to make power factor for IDPA. at 4 grains the recoil is noticeably softer but they clock at just around 1000fps.

I also load 124/125 grain HP with 4.0 grains TG which has been a nice load for me.

I have used also the 147g cmj with 3.4g TG as above and they shoot fine with good PF, but I didn't find the load as accurate as the 124 and 125s in my gun.

BTW my federal 115g factories chrono at about 1050.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

Hodgdon's load data reccomended to start with 4 grains. When I was adjusting my meter for my powder measure, I could not get it right at 4 grains, so I stuck with 4.2. The overall length varied because of the shape of the bullets. Anywhere from 1.135" to 1.143"

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

Your friend may be using lead bullets or copper plated bullets (such as Berry's). The recommended loads for lead bullets is lower than for the fully jacked bullets.

The 4.2 grains of Titegroup for a jacketed 9mm sounds about right.

pool67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Homecroft
    lead bullets

I am new to reloading and have alot of questions. what is the thought of loading 9mm with lead bullets for a Ruger SR 9 thanks for all suggestions

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Nice shootin! I'm new to reloading I've done a few hundred rounds for my .357 and did my first batch of nines a few weeks ago. They shot great! no problems.. I used bullseye powder and 124 gr lead bullets. I have yet to try titegroup but will be buyin some soon.

Top Bottom