• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I was able to get home early enough yesterday to knock out mowing the lawn for the week. Yay, more time for shooting on the weekend! Got to the back yard and started around the perimeter. When I got close to the house I spooked this guy and his two siblings.

Now they all three scattered to the four winds but this guy decided to hunker down in the uncut grass in front of the mower. I even nudged him with my foot, he wouldn't move. So I picked him up and he chilled in my hand while I got my phone for the pic. Afterwards, I walked back to the rear yard and put him near the nest.

Now I am in the habit of pulling my mower back a couple feet to re-start it over area already cut. I am glad I do this because when I did, the other two rabbits shot out from underneath where they had taken refuge. Like the Millennium Falcon piggy backing on the back of an Imperial Cruiser, they thought the best place to hide from the whirling blades of death was right underneath.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I remember as a kid running over nests of bunnies when mowing the horse pasture...it was never pretty.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Heck yeah, they are stupid. They build nests in a yard where 5 dogs live. Granted, the dogs aren't out there 24/7, but you'd think a critter with 1/2 a brain could tell that dogs are frequently out there! Husband feels bad for the baby bunnies, I have less sympathy, because of my gardens.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a fenced in area right behind my house where I let the dogs out. For 3 years I had a mamma rabbit nest right under a bush in the middle of the area. She'd have her kit's under it. My golden eventually would find them. he would come carrying one in the house. he would not kill it. Just slobber it up a lot. I'd swap him a piece of cheese for it. I'd take the kit back out to the nest and let the dogs out side up front for a few weeks until the mamma would move them.

The mom must have died or moved on because it eventually stopped.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Is it also possible that rabbits don't have the mental capacity to understand what's going on in the larger world? Is it also possible that they are just trying to live their lives and humans are invading everywhere they reproduce?

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Every year I have the same problem. Living in the country, I have to watch carefully as I mow so that I don't have splattered bunnies everywhere. It happens in early spring and then again in early summer. I feel bad for the bunnies when I happen to run over one however, I do aim for the voles.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    And when they catch you, they will kill you, but first they must catch you. Digger, listener, runner, prince of the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Every year I have the same problem. Living in the country, I have to watch carefully as I mow so that I don't have splattered bunnies everywhere. It happens in early spring and then again in early summer. I feel bad for the bunnies when I happen to run over one however, I do aim for the voles.

That's too funny. Last when my wife was mowing the yard I see her zig zagging across the yard. So I walk across the yard to what in the heck i s going. Turns out she was trying to run over a mole/vole. I wish I could've got it on video, her leaning forward on an 1983 snapper RER trying to chase down a mole at 3mph.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    2mwtndj.png

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The kids on one of my HS routes saw a rabbit by the street and wanted me to run over it. I said I knew rabbits weren't the smartest things, but I didn't figure I'd be able to sneak up on one with a school bus.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I tell you what, they overbook the HS routes so much, if all of them decided to ride one day the system would collapse. It would take three loads for most routes, some even more. I thought that would be an awesome prank to play, but I never, um, got around to mentioning it while I was still driving.

Top Bottom