• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Surprised Sean with his belated birthday present last night, a Marlin 795. We took him to the range today so he could break her in. This is just a "first impressions" report. I'll do up a better one another time.

He put two hundred rounds through the gun today. Used Winchester 333, CCI Mini-Mag hollopoints, Remington Thunderbolts, and CCI Blazers. Gun ate 'em all with no complaints.

I sighted the gun in for him with Winchester 333 ammo. The gun shoots into less than an inch with this ammo at 50 yards, into about an inch with Mini-Mags.

The trigger is OK, better than my 10/22s. It's got some take-up, then it's fairly light and crisp. I like the bolt hold open a lot better than the one on my 10/22 or Cathy's Model 60. It's easy to use, easy to reach, and works positively. Sights are basic but good, though we mounted a scope on it.

The gun is light, short, well balanced, quick handling, even with a scope on it. I liked the feel of the grip quite a lot.

Gun comes equipped with sling mounts and is grooved for tipoff scope mounts.

We paid $125 for the gun, and it can be found on sale cheaper some places. Marlin is also offering a $25 rebate on the gun through the end of the year. That makes this an absolutely SCREAMING deal. I'm not at all sure I don't like it better than my 10/22.

rjstamp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I love Marlin...very well made guns and accurate too...something to pass down to the grandkids!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Where did you pick it up at? I am debating between this gun and a savage mark II bolt action for my son.

We bought it at Big R in Crawfordsville.

I had a Savage MK II with wood stock, heavy barrel, and accu-trigger. It was my favorite, and I want another sooner or later.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Marlin 795

Sounds like a great deal Joe..I haven't had the chance to fire one of those. I'm kind of an old Marlin fan. First rifle was a Model 39A and have added several on since then.
    Speak of Ruger 10-22"s, I have the trigger groups out of two of mine-sent down to KY. for a fella to re-work/lighten up for me. He does good work and his prices are in line.
    Good luck/good shooting with your new $100.00 rifle...:)

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Glad to hear the good report. I have been debating if I should get one to go along with my Model 60 and set it up as a LTR. Think I may just have to "pull the trigger" and get one here soon.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Are these 795's smaller than a 10/22? Stock size anyway. I let my little sister shoot my 10/22 when I bought it last week, first time she had ever shot a rifle and she hit the bulls-eye more times than not. The 10/22 is a little too big for her though so I'd like to buy her something smaller...besides a cricket if I don't have to..

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The stock is slimmer, the gun is lighter. I've not measured it, but my 11 y/o son finds it to be a better fit for him than my 10/22, yet it fits me fine.

Personally, I think the standard stock on the 10/22 is pretty chunky.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I took my almost 7 year old out cast weekend and he tried a few rifles on. The 795 seemed to be the lightest as far as the non-youth rifles go. He did try a compact 10-22 and it fit well but it was still a wee bit on the heavy side.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    The 795 was the first 22 rifle I had purchased. Great rifle, accurate as all get out and very cost effective. It was my sons favorite to shoot until he started shooting my AR.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    The stock is slimmer, the gun is lighter. I've not measured it, but my 11 y/o son finds it to be a better fit for him than my 10/22, yet it fits me fine.

Personally, I think the standard stock on the 10/22 is pretty chunky.

Thanks, I will check one out if I find one around here.

Top Bottom