• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking Fires

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Clarksville
    Lately I've been seeing a lot a Colt Pythons on the market (usually at $2,000 or more) and all the ones I've seen have been immaculate at immaculate prices. I'm just wondering what the market looks like for a decent shootable Python, I.E. maybe one that has some bluing wear or a few nicks? If I got one I would actually shoot it but at $2000 I dont blame people for not taking them out of the safe. I know some police officers bought Pythons for duty so finding a Python that was a service gun with some wear would be ideal (if such a thing is out there).

Also I always hear things about the timing going out on Pythons. How often does this occur? Every few hundred rounds? 1000 rounds or more?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've owned mine since the 80s and none of them have gone out of time. Back when they were reasonably priced they were worth the extra money over say the S&W 66 or 27. Today that isn't the case even with the smooth trigger pull and good balance. Unless you're wanting the 357 magnum you can pick up a good Colt Officers Model for much less money. They have a very smooth DA pull and were the number one target revolver of days past.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    To answer your question, I have in the past few years seen a couple "used" ones. They were still nice, no box, just the revolver for $1400 to $1600.
    A friend of mine bought a nice 4in. blued one at the Stout Field show a couple of years ago for $1600, someone had put target sights on it that looked like :poop:, the owner had the original sights as well.
    He took it to Jason at Elmore's in Greenwood and had the original sights put back on it. That one was near perfect, with one minor blem in the finish and the target sights.
    They are out there, if you are willing to buy one without the box.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    When I got mine it looked brand new, 4" blued as well. I've got at least 3-4 hundred rounds through it now, slight ring on the cylinder. It's stupid accurate, smooth, and gorgeous. Love mine!

Buzz Saw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Southeast IN
    Also I always hear things about the timing going out on Pythons. How often does this occur? Every few hundred rounds? 1000 rounds or more?[/QUOTE]

Regarding Python timing issues, I have had a Python since the early 1980's and have shot thousands of rounds of .38 and .357 through it with no timing issues whatsoever. Mine is not a safe queen but I haven't abused it either. I think Colt timing issues are a non issue, don't let that push you away from any of the Colt double action revolvers. I honestly never heard of Pythons with timing problems until the last few years, and then only on the internet forums.

The current prices seem a little rediculous, but they are incredible guns.

Treat one like you would any finely tuned piece of equipment, that is don't flip the cylinder shut with one hand and things like that but they are very robust revolvers and will handle .357 loads just fine.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom