Questions about S&W sigma as first pistol.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ubertux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Tell City
    Ok so I took my girl to the local gun shop yesterday, she wants a pistol now after finally shooting mine last weekend. The one she settled on was the S&W sigma. She has yet to purchase as I wanted to do some research on it first. What I have come up with is that this firearm has a crappy trigger and possibly some mechanical issues. Should I point her to her next choice(springfield XD) or see if this one will work out for her?

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    I would save up the other money to get something better. If price is an issue, go for the SR9, a better gun than the sigma in my opinion--And for a lady, the trigger might be a little bit more bearable, also has a few features that might be comforting for her ie it shows when you have a round chambered. If price isnt an issue I would upgrade to glock mp or xd

ubertux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Tell City
    ok sounds like i need to have her handle some more pistols, maybe i'll take her to dave's gun shop and have her shoot some rentals.

ubertux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Tell City
    Perhaps I should leave it entirely up to her, I don't think she could really make a bad decision being as she does not have any guns herself right now.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I would find a used higher quality pistol still in your price range. I like used guns only because they are cheaper and already have some wear on them. On a new gun, the first scratch is the hardest...after that, who cares ;).

ubertux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Tell City
    I would find a used higher quality pistol still in your price range. I like used guns only because they are cheaper and already have some wear on them. On a new gun, the first scratch is the hardest...after that, who cares ;).

Yeah I know that feeling, my 1911 still stays in its factory box most of the time as it was purchased brand new. I too prefer used arms to new, and that is mostly what I have.

birdwing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Lowell
    Take a look at the S&W SD series. They are still very affordable, but a definate step up from the Sigma. They also have a very similar feel.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Take a look at the S&W SD series. They are still very affordable, but a definate step up from the Sigma. They also have a very similar feel.
    ^This^ If she liked the sigma the SD series are basically an upgraded sigma with a better trigger. I have an SD9 and I like it.

ubertux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Tell City
    cool, think I'll have to take her to bucks and jakes outfitters. I believe they have some of the SD series pistols, none here at the shops in town.

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana

This ^....but the S&W sigma 40 was my first pistol. I put over 500 rounds through it and never had an FTF or FTE. The trigger has a ton of take back, that takes some getting used to, but it's reliable.

joale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    This ^....but the S&W sigma 40 was my first pistol. I put over 500 rounds through it and never had an FTF or FTE. The trigger has a ton of take back, that takes some getting used to, but it's reliable.

My first pistol was the Sigma 9mm. Agreed on the long trigger pull. Never had any problems with it, though.

ubertux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Tell City
    sounds like the trigger pull is similar to my ruger p94, it feels pretty bad in DA, but after you fire that first shot or just cock the hammer you can squeeze it to a stopping point that makes shooting accurately a little easier. She may end up with the sigma if the trigger pull is really the only issue with it. I just want her to have something that will go bang every time for now. She can then make her own decisions on what she feels she needs, with advice.

3shots

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Doans,Indiana
    S&W Sigma as first pistol

I carry a S&W40ve notthing wrong with it. All the bad rap you read online is taken care of . the heavy trigger pull is like da revolver it also improves with use much safer as a carry gun .

Top Bottom