• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Here's the situation. A friend of a family member shot a buck recently. They took it in to be processed, but then couldn't come up with the money for the processing fee. Because of this, the meat has just been sitting in the freezer at the processing business.

Here's the question. I know that deer meat will be stamped "Not for sale", but in this situation would it be legal for me to pay the processing fee to the processor, and take the meat? This would, of course, be assuming that I had permission from the person who shot the deer.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I am not sure, but I think I was told by a processor one time, that as long as they had held it a prescribed period of time, then someone could pay the processing fee, and It wasn't considered selling wild game.

Ask the processor. I would think that if anyone would have legal issues, it would be them, as the seller. If they would do that, then I don't blame you for getting the deer.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My butcher has done EXACTLY that! You are not "buying the deer". You are paying a processing fee.

The way I understand it, if he charges you ONLY what he would charge anyone else, and ONLY charges processing fees, then he is providing the same service, at the same rate of remuneration, for the same services rendered.

He'll get into trouble if he tries to sell "to the highest bidder", or "for only this much more", etc...

I believe if it goes unclaimed, he still has the right to receive payment for services rendered.

If you're worried about it, as stated above, have your friend take your money in and bring you the meat.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Your paying for the processing not the deer . No money exchanged between you and the hunter . I am not a lawyer but seems within the law to me . Call the dnr and ask them to be sure thats part of their job also

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    You can go to the processor's and pay for it and take it home with you. You aren't buying the meat, you are paying the processor for his services.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Thanks for the thoughts. I was pretty sure that I was ok, which is why the deer in question is currently sitting in my freezer. The processing fee was $108, but there was a decent amount of sausage involved, which raised the price. In all, I got 50 pounds of burger, about 30-35 pounds of roasts, steaks, and tenderloins, and four 15" packages of summer sausage.

I filled my freezer space, and the butcher reclaimed some money owed. Seems like a win all around.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    No harm in paying the butcher for his work, FWIW I always do my own for the sake of not paying the processing fee for a deer I didn't shoot, -always wondered how many guys actually get back the same deer they brought in?

Cornbread

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My butcher has done EXACTLY that! You are not "buying the deer". You are paying a processing fee.

The way I understand it, if he charges you ONLY what he would charge anyone else, and ONLY charges processing fees, then he is providing the same service, at the same rate of remuneration, for the same services rendered.

He'll get into trouble if he tries to sell "to the highest bidder", or "for only this much more", etc...

I believe if it goes unclaimed, he still has the right to receive payment for services rendered.

If you're worried about it, as stated above, have your friend take your money in and bring you the meat.
    This is very true. I have done this before and I called DNR before I did.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    If memory serves me correctly, the law changed several years ago...

I believe the law changed a few years ago so that processors could sell any unclaimed wild game for the processing fee.

Last edited:

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I am not sure, but I think I was told by a processor one time, that as long as they had held it a prescribed period of time, then someone could pay the processing fee, and It wasn't considered selling wild game.

Ask the processor. I would think that if anyone would have legal issues, it would be them, as the seller. If they would do that, then I don't blame you for getting the deer.

JBob77 is correct, you technically are not purchasing the venison. You are paying for the processing. The butcher is getting paid for the processing, not selling the venison. This is a win win situation. Enjoy the venison, it's better than it going to waste, and the butcher is getting paid for his work.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm thinking that particular venison is probably bad by now.
    652.gif

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Why? It would have been packaged and stored in the freezer - just like at anybodies home.

It was a joke.

The poster did a "necromancer" on a thread that was over a year old. Late and night a couple (or four) beers for me. I found it funny.
    652.gif

Do you really believe the processor has been holding onto this unpaid venison for a year? :D

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    No harm in paying the butcher for his work, FWIW I always do my own for the sake of not paying the processing fee for a deer I didn't shoot, -always wondered how many guys actually get back the same deer they brought in?

:+1:

Not to mention the $$. My hunting partner and I butchered up 9 deer total this year. Lots of brauts, summer sausage, grind, steaks, roasts, etc cut the way we want it. Keeping an average of $100 per deer with sausage/special cuts and we keep $900. Granted, we have minimal expense to package and there is a fair bit of work - but with the money saved I can get additional hunting clothes, more butchering tools, etc.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    It was a joke.

The poster did a "necromancer" on a thread that was over a year old. Late and night a couple (or four) beers for me. I found it funny.
    652.gif

Do you really believe the processor has been holding onto this unpaid venison for a year? :D

I see. Up to late with squinty eyes to pick up on that. Must be slow tonight.

Top Bottom