• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockbear78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    Westfield
    Hey guys I recently purchased a mosin nagant, Im going to be stripping and refinishing the stock, not because it really needs it, but because i Just want to, I dont plan on doing a full reblueing of the metal parts but deffinatly some spots where it looks like the cosmo went thin and there was minor surface rust, as in the stamps and such, when i go to refinish the stock i was wondering if there is any tips on getting those reinforcment bolts out of the stock or not, heres a link to some pictures, and yes My pictures suck sorry for the bad ones lol. Mosin Project - Imgur

any tips or tricks during this process would be greatly appreciated and I hope i posted this in the right spot.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Looks like you got yourself a pretty good looking Mosin.. If it's your first, be careful, they multiply fast... if it's not your first, see, I told you so... I have no tips on removing the bolts... sorry mate.. I will ask how the rifling looks..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I refinished two of mine, I didn't bother removing the bolts, but I believe if you take a pair of needlenose pliers, you can put the tips in the two holes on the head of the bolt/nut and use them to unscrew them.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Yes a pair of needle nose pliers works to unscrew them. My suggestion is to not get in a hurry to refinish the stock. I did and ended up sanding it. The stock turned out really nice but in looking back I wished I had not sanded off so much of the old markings. The markings is part of what gave the old rifle character. For more info than you care to read have a look here. 7.62x54r.net

Smoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Laporte
    Aim Surplus had stocks available a while back. I was going to use one of those to refinish. That way I would still have the original. But, as always , I wait a day on something and then they are gone.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Hey guys I recently purchased a mosin nagant, Im going to be stripping and refinishing the stock, not because it really needs it, but because i Just want to, I dont plan on doing a full reblueing of the metal parts but deffinatly some spots where it looks like the cosmo went thin and there was minor surface rust, as in the stamps and such, when i go to refinish the stock i was wondering if there is any tips on getting those reinforcment bolts out of the stock or not, heres a link to some pictures, and yes My pictures suck sorry for the bad ones lol. Mosin Project - Imgur

any tips or tricks during this process would be greatly appreciated and I hope i posted this in the right spot.
    You dont remove those "reinforcement bolts" to dissassemble the rifle. MOSIN NAGANT M91/30 TAKEDOWN! - YouTube Youtube Mosin Teardown

To check out all the tools and accessories and countries available check this site out. Mosin Nagant Rifle Accessories

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hey guys I recently purchased a mosin nagant, Im going to be stripping and refinishing the stock............

I would refinish it with clothes on but to each his own.

Rockbear78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    Westfield
    Thanks all for the good ideas, and good laughs!, the rifling i checked before purchasing and looked strong as well as its not been counter bored so i was very happy with that, this is my first project of doing reallyl any kind of minor gunsmithing at all so it will be a learning process, I hope to keep you all updated.

as far as refinishing the stock, i decided on chemically stripping and just light sanding in my hopes to keep as many blemishes as i can.

I will look at using the needle nose to remove them, I had also thought of some split ring pliers though i wasnt sure if they would work, and I do want to pull them out simply for the fact of rebluing them as well.

rock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    West of Indy
    Be careful of chemical stripper when you use water to remove the chemical the wood will swell,and the front of the stock and top cover to warp.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Use rags soaked with acetone to remove most of the old finish. I have been successful in doing this to remove the varnish that is on them and then re-stain over the existing color to even it up and finish with Tru-oil. Soak the rag and wipe until it gets loaded up with varnish and then switch to a new rag. repeat as necessary. This allows you to refinish without removing the original markings in the wood.

Rockbear78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    Westfield
    Use rags soaked with acetone to remove most of the old finish. I have been successful in doing this to remove the varnish that is on them and then re-stain over the existing color to even it up and finish with Tru-oil. Soak the rag and wipe until it gets loaded up with varnish and then switch to a new rag. repeat as necessary. This allows you to refinish without removing the original markings in the wood.

Great ideas! thank you much. thats deffinatly what i want to do is not remove the original markings

macafly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Mine was in fairly decent shape when aquirred. I just cleaned up with some mineral spirits, then worked it over with some tung oil. Then every onece in a while, buff it with a little more tung oil. Protects it and keeps it looking nice IMHO.
    Cheers

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I just completely refinished mine this past fall. My method worked GREAT! Get a 5 gallon bucket. Lay the stock on top and it makes a good working platform. Fill the bucket with scalding hot water. Spray the stock liberally with a strong degreaser, (I used automotive Simple Green). Scrub it. Then cake it with Citri-Strip, (that stuff is amazing). Let it sit for a couple hours and remove. Then cake it, wait, and strip it again. When I was done, it was as naked as a 2x4. Once COMPLETELY dry, apply your preferred stain. I then finished it off with a protective clear coat and a LIGHT rubbing with Scotch Brite pad to give it more of a matte finish. I'll upload pictures if you want, but trust me when I say it looks a lot better.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend

Why worry about original markings when refinishing a Mosin stock? The refinish job pretty much destroys any collectability the rifle may or may not have had. Sad but true in the Mosin collecting world. Do whatever you wish with your rifle but don't kid yourself about this.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Why worry about original markings when refinishing a Mosin stock? The refinish job pretty much destroys any collectability the rifle may or may not have had. Sad but true in the Mosin collecting world. Do whatever you wish with your rifle but don't kid yourself about this.

This is true. The only person that will want this rifle after a refinish is another Bubba.

mooneydc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2013
    Campbellsburg
    I just refinished my savage 110. I just sanded the old finish off and the used 3 coats of tru oil and it turned out very nice. It brought out the grain in the wood and the more coats you add the darker it will get. I did it in about 2 days.

Top Bottom