• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    So if one lives out in the county and wants to build a back yard range; does he need to apply for any permits or permissions? Second, just because I am new to IN, are there any laws prohibiting the carry of firearms within x feet of a school? I.e. hiking in the woods proximate to a school so on and so forth.
    Thanks in advance for the pro bono.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    So if one lives out in the county and wants to build a back yard range; does he need to apply for any permits or permissions? Second, just because I am new to IN, are there any laws prohibiting the carry of firearms within x feet of a school? I.e. hiking in the woods proximate to a school so on and so forth.
    Thanks in advance for the pro bono.
    The first question depends on your locality (county/township etc have different regulations) but the general rule is that there is nothing required for a private range.

The 2nd question, while there is no "distance" requirement/law for schools, you cannot carry onto school property (except under a couple exceptions that are already discussed elsewhere) so just be certain that you're not on the school's property and you're GTG.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The first question depends on your locality (county/township etc have different regulations) but the general rule is that there is nothing required for a private range.

The 2nd question, while there is no "distance" requirement/law for schools, you cannot carry onto school property (except under a couple exceptions that are already discussed elsewhere) so just be certain that you're not on the school's property and you're GTG.

Pretty much what he said...

But one other disclaimer for your 2nd question (not that it will ever apply...); but if you commit certain crimes within X-feet of a school, harsher sentence. And if those crimes are committed whilst carrying a firearm, harsher still.

But, like I said, nothing to worry about, in general, here in Indiana.

Personal caveat: Many many MANY churches here in IN also have licensed Day cares / schools in them. This makes those particular churches and their properties verboten as well as any of the public/private schools out there.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Pretty much what he said...

But one other disclaimer for your 2nd question (not that it will ever apply...); but if you commit certain crimes within X-feet of a school, harsher sentence. And if those crimes are committed whilst carrying a firearm, harsher still.

But, like I said, nothing to worry about, in general, here in Indiana.

Personal caveat: Many many MANY churches here in IN also have licensed Day cares / schools in them. This makes those particular churches and their properties verboten as well as any of the public/private schools out there.

-J-

:yesway: Thanks to you both.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Same. Don't think there are any rules I know of regarding ranges, as long as its not too close to city limits.
    On the other issues, I do know that you can't carry on school property, churches, and I believe college campuses. Other than that just be careful where you go with your gun. No reason to get yourself in trouble over nothing.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My county does not require a permit but there are restrictions. Your lot must be 1 acre or more for a shooting range. If you have more than 1 acre and you are outside of any city limits then you are good to go.

Check with YOUR county for restrictions.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I would suggest getting a letter from your county zoning administrator if you live out in the unincoporated areas. Tell them what you want to do and ask for an opinion letter. It may come in handy if a neighbor complains later and it will give you something to show the police if someone calls them. This may save you some hassles.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    In Grant county, you may shoot on your property as long as you don't shoot within 100 feet of a public roadway, and you may NOT shoot across a roadway. Otherwise, I had no restrictions when I built my range.

I'd strongly suggest that as posted above, you check with any zoning boards, and touch base with your local County Sheriff....

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    Same. Don't think there are any rules I know of regarding ranges, as long as its not too close to city limits.
    On the other issues, I do know that you can't carry on school property, churches, and I believe college campuses. Other than that just be careful where you go with your gun. No reason to get yourself in trouble over nothing.
    there is no law in indiana that says you can't carry on college campus just alot of them have rules against it for there staff and students.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, You may not carry on property being utilized by a school for a school function.

Top Bottom