• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I've got a 2007 Silverado and my Service Airbag light has come on. Does that mean the airbags may or may not work ? Or does the system just set a code at a certain mileage interval ?

Thanks for any input

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Bingo.
    System has a series of motion/impact sensors.
    Yep. Light on my 2008 Silverado was on for months. When I finally had time to get it in, the mechanic said a sensor was tripped. I was in a small fender bender months ago, no deployment but it must have been enough to trip the sensor. The research I did when it came on led me to believe the airbags would still work, but YMMV.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Yep. Light on my 2008 Silverado was on for months. When I finally had time to get it in, the mechanic said a sensor was tripped. I was in a small fender bender months ago, no deployment but it must have been enough to trip the sensor. The research I did when it came on led me to believe the airbags would still work, but YMMV.

Ah, that explains a lot. I've been hit a couple of times, but no deployment. Maybe a sensor got tripped. Thanks

ws98ta

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Fwiw anytime you air bag light is on, your air bags are disabled.
    its just like your abs system, if the light is in the abs is inactive.
    There are a lot if reasons your light could be on. There is not a service interval for the air bags.
    like it has been said before,Take it in and get it checked for codes.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Swing by any auto parts store and get tge code scanned for free, pm me that and I'll give you a good idea of what's wrong. Bet money it the left or right front impact sensor.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Had it with one I owned. Couldn't diagnose it myself so I took it in. Place I took it said they couldn't find out why either unless I wanted to spend more money doing detailed diagnosis of components.

Mine was intermittent "on" though. Sometimes if I kicked the kick panel the light would go out. Google it and you will see that many owners have had issues with it.

It finally went off and stayed off for awhile and I ended up selling it. Don't know if new owner had any issue with it. I left him the analysis from when I took it in.

Oh, and no code stored.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    Like others have said your air bags will not work when the light is on. I have seen a lot of GM trucks with one or both of the front crash sensors going bad.

ws98ta

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately auto zone scanners can only pull engine/power train codes. They won't be able to pull body codes or abs codes. It requires a more specialized scan tool that can communicate with the body control module. Your going to have to go to a shop with the correct equipment.

kevhed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Chesterton
    I don't know where you're located, but if you're near Valparaiso I have a scanner at work that will pull the codes/clear them. PM if I can help.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had one where the dealer could not directly figure out. The car had never been in any sort of accident. I keep working on it until I found that the little wound up harness in the steering column had a hairline crack in the conductor. Some times it made connection, sometimes it didn't. That is the flexible "wires" that connect the steering column airbag to the column. It makes sense, as that part has to wind up and unwind every time you turn the steering wheel. Not expensive, but not easy to get to.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom