Question- Anyone Working As Armed Security?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Recently downsized and looking for a part-time job while I search for my next career adventure.

I see ads for "armed security" in the paper and job boards from time to time. Seems like the jobs offer a little higher pay than others. I have a clean record. Current permit. I'm not a LEO and have never guarded anything other than the motor pool while in the army.

Anyone have any thoughts here? I'm in my early 50's, pretty good shape :rolleyes:
    and willing to work. Any of these "gigs" lead to a full time job?

Comments?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Go to the old building one at what used to be Ft Benjamin Harrison. Ask to talk to a Supervisor and see if you qualify.

Any questions, just PM me.

I wouldn't bother with private security companies.

Any questions, just PM me.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I used to work for a security firm when I was younger. It was mostly a joke but I did provide security at a few grocery stores and such. It can be fun at times but the pay was terrible. I was armed but it was optional and you had to have your license to carry.

All security places may not be like the one I worked for but it's the only experience I have.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You talking something like BlackWater or ArmorCore or more along the lines of like a armed security guard at a bank?

GSA contract supervised by FPS in Federal facilities. Like, Federal buildings, Social Security Offices, Depots, etc.

I did it part-time when I worked full time for the City of FWA. Pay is in the 20 dollar range. Uniforms and firearms provided but you have to go to a 3 week school and qualify with your issued firearm. It takes about 6 months to get qualified to get on the contract.

This job is the reason I KNOW there are ghosts in the Ft Wayne Federal building....:)

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    You talking something like BlackWater or ArmorCore or more along the lines of like a armed security guard at a bank?

Probably not....But opportunities here in Indiana would be more in line with what I'm looking for. BW and AC appears to be some pretty high speed stuff.

Anyone familiar with any surveillance work? Insurance fraud, etc.?

Just brainstorming! :cool:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Empty three story building. Cameras everywhere. 2 AM, everybody gone, Marshalls, Senator and Representatives and staff all gone. Totally empty building, except for me. I am monitoring video screens, internal and external to the building. Switching back and forth between the cameras, trying to stay alert, but it is 2 AM after all and I go to my full time two hours after I am relieved at 6am.

A door slams somewhere on one of the two floors above and there are footsteps clearly heard echoing through the building. Switching to the hallway cameras-----nothing. Nobody walks by you to leave the building. I know the secret rooms and passages so I pivot the cameras looking in these areas---nothing. With heart pounding, physical search of the offices, hallways, etc reveals----nothing. Walk down to the Marshall's offices to see if one of the guys snuck in to do some paperwork----nothing.

If that won't get the blood flowing, nothing will. Didn't happen just once either. I did this for about two years after heightened security needs after 9/11 in Federal buildings and facilities.

By the way OP, I went to the website and they still require applicants to have successfully completed a Police Academy. The Insurance Fraud jobs are mostly held by ex-cops too. Lots of private companies surveil various things, but that is horible work..

Good luck, maybe you can talk your way into something interesting. Generally security jobs are just mind numbing and low paying to boot.

Top Bottom