• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    I might be buying a house on the outskirts of marion county southest corner. It has a large cornfield behind the house. If i built the proper backstop would i be able to shoot in my backyard? What laws or ordinances are in place in marion county?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nope. Cant do that inside the county as far as I have been told.

If I am wrong (will not be the 1st or last) I am sure someone will set us straight.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

If I am wrong (will not be the 1st or last) I am sure someone will set us straight.
    The mouse is wrong. You are in my neck of the woods. The only flat out prohibition is the OLD, PRE-UNIGOV city limits. e.g. the inner city. Or anywhere IMPD used to patrol back in the day when IMPD and MCSO were both patrolling.

Outside of 465 is generally GTG as long as you can set it up safely. There are two ranges within earshot of Mills and Mooresville road, just south of where all the neighborhoods stop, for example.

Just expect push back and complaints from gunshy neighbors. Every spring I have to remind folks on Nextdoor that there are confirmed safe and lawful gun ranges nearby, and they are NOT going to be hearing some crime in progress as the weather warms up. :rolleyes:

IF you were correct, Mouseman, Marion County Fish and Game couldnt exist. :p

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

KJ used to live in SE Marion Co. He had a cornfield behind his property. He built a proper backstop. Guns were shot there.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Wikipedia --- Municipalities may regulate the discharge of firearms, and as such it is generally illegal to discharge a firearm within city limits. However, it is generally legal to discharge firearms on one's own property if located outside the city limits and with an adequate backstop.

Isn't there also a Law about shooting within a certain distance from Roads or Occupied Building ?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wikipedia --- Municipalities may regulate the discharge of firearms, and as such it is generally illegal to discharge a firearm within city limits. However, it is generally legal to discharge firearms on one's own property if located outside the city limits and with an adequate backstop.

Isn't there also a Law about shooting within a certain distance from Roads or Occupied Building ?

They certainly may, but Indianapolis has not.

This may also apply. Shooting ACROSS the road is always forbidden. But IMPD has at least investigated one of the ranges in which buildings are within 300' and have said its cool.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The mouse is wrong. You are in my neck of the woods. The only flat out prohibition is the OLD, PRE-UNIGOV city limits. e.g. the inner city. Or anywhere IMPD used to patrol back in the day when IMPD and MCSO were both patrolling.

Outside of 465 is generally GTG as long as you can set it up safely. There are two ranges within earshot of Mills and Mooresville road, just south of where all the neighborhoods stop, for example.

Just expect push back and complaints from gunshy neighbors. Every spring I have to remind folks on Nextdoor that there are confirmed safe and lawful gun ranges nearby, and they are NOT going to be hearing some crime in progress as the weather warms up. :rolleyes:

IF you were correct, Mouseman, Marion County Fish and Game couldnt exist. :p
    Rough crowd Amigo. MCF&G would not exist save for the Grandfathering in as it was there and active long before the boundary's meant anything. And they are under constant scrutiny to this day thanks to a few mindless idiots that have let some rounds go free and hot off the range.....:p

But yeah I am wrong.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Rough crowd Amigo. MCF&G would not exist save for the Grandfathering in as it was there and active long before the boundary's meant anything. And they are under constant scrutiny to this day thanks to a few mindless idiots that have let some rounds go free and hot off the range.....:p

But yeah I am wrong.
    You know we love ya, buddy.:cool:

And I wonder if MFCG and any prominent/well connected members at the time might not have something to do with the wording of the current law? It specifically mentions the old city limits, which puts MCFG way outside those limits Because there is still a LOT of land even today that is safe to shoot on inside the boundaries of the county, but outside 465. And even a handful of areas inside the loop that you could get away with creating another shooting club like that.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    You know we love ya, buddy.:cool:

And I wonder if MFCG and any prominent/well connected members at the time might not have something to do with the wording of the current law? It specifically mentions the old city limits, which puts MCFG way outside those limits Because there is still a LOT of land even today that is safe to shoot on inside the boundaries of the county, but outside 465. And even a handful of areas inside the loop that you could get away with creating another shooting club like that.

Create another one.

Takes much work. Place took much to build and is around for many reasons.

If you do, could you do it without ****ing aluminum shelters over open "bays" forcing all the sound into a box?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I might be buying a house on the outskirts of marion county southest corner. It has a large cornfield behind the house. If i built the proper backstop would i be able to shoot in my backyard? What laws or ordinances are in place in marion county?
    Now when it's set up how many are allowed to come over and shoot at your place daily?

On backstop I'm a fan of railroad ties and dirt dumped inside. [_*_] kind of like that about 5-6 feet tall.

Top Bottom