• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noobert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I am new to IN laws, and am utterly confused out of my mind. In IN, a private party selling either rifle and handgun does not have to go through a FFL? So its like you just meet them in the parking lot and exchange money/firearm? Also, for handguns, are private parties allowed to sell to over 18 but under 21's? sorry for the basic questions, but search is not finding me any answers. Thanks to all that answer!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I am new to IN laws, and am utterly confused out of my mind. In IN, a private party selling either rifle and handgun does not have to go through a FFL? So its like you just meet them in the parking lot and exchange money/firearm? Also, for handguns, are private parties allowed to sell to over 18 but under 21's? sorry for the basic questions, but search is not finding me any answers. Thanks to all that answer!

Private party sales do not require an FFL or background check so long as both parties are IN residents.

The seller cannot knowingly sell to someone who is ineligible to buy.

The seller can sell a handgun to someone 18 years or older.

That is about it. No records, no nada.

Now, many people wish to apply their own requirements that are greater than the law for their own reasons (to protect against selling to a criminal and to protect against putting themselves in a legally awkward position), but that is a personal decision not a legal one.

Techres

P.S. I am not a lawyer, read the code yourself, talk to a real lawyer, etc. You get the point.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Oh my goodness, Indiana is heaven! Thanks so much for the info

It is a great place for gun rights with a few exceptions. Some of those can catch you off guard.

One is the requirement to have an LTCH to transport a pistol.
    The other is the forbidding of firearms in your posession or vehicle on the property of a school (or church with a school) at any time 24/7 unless you are dropping off your kid to school and the car remain on and you behind the wheel at all times (so that you remain the "operator" of the vehicle).

Otherwise, yeah, we have it good compared to most states.

At the same time, if you do buy or sell, be careful out there. There are shady people and shady situations that are not safe for you as a person or safe for us all as the good guys.

Good luck, get your LTCH, and hope to see you on the forum often (as more than a lurker).
    :ingo:

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    It is a great place for gun rights with a few exceptions. Some of those can catch you off guard.

One is the requirement to have an LTCH to transport a pistol.
    The other is the forbidding of firearms in your posession or vehicle on the property of a school (or church with a school) at any time 24/7 unless you are dropping off your kid to school and the car remain on and you behind the wheel at all times (so that you remain the "operator" of the vehicle).

Otherwise, yeah, we have it good compared to most states.

At the same time, if you do buy or sell, be careful out there. There are shady people and shady situations that are not safe for you as a person or safe for us all as the good guys.

Good luck, get your LTCH, and hope to see you on the forum often (as more than a lurker).
    :ingo:

Sorry, I'm a newb. What's a LTCH?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I personally will not look any further at an ad, if I see they require those additional requirements mentioned above. There have been several firearms that I was interested in listed here, but I moved on when I saw they wanted copies of my documents (DL, LTCH, etc). It isn't required by law so I will not provide it. Yes it is their right to ask for it, but it is also my right to refuse and not buy.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I personally will not look any further at an ad, if I see they require those additional requirements mentioned above. There have been several firearms that I was interested in listed here, but I moved on when I saw they wanted copies of my documents (DL, LTCH, etc). It isn't required by law so I will not provide it. Yes it is their right to ask for it, but it is also my right to refuse and not buy.

Yep, this is a regular debate that breaks out here every few months. There seem to be three groups:

1. Those that require an FFL or will not sell/buy. They want the greatest protections against either selling or buying in a situation that might come back to haunt them. They also seem to do the least number of transactions.

2. Those that have no requirements to sell and do not buy if there are requirements on the deal. For them it is a matter of freedom and privacy: the sale is not the business of the state, and handing over private information to a stranger is just stupid. Finally, there is an aspect of "living like a free man" that falls into play here as well.

3. Lastly, there are those that do private sales but have their own requirements. Personally, I require an LTCH or Driver's license as well as a bill of sale (unless i forget it). That puts off 10% of buyers, makes another 10% happy, and the other 80% don't really care.

So, it is what it is. Do what you are able to do and are comfortable with.

Are you under 21 and looking for a handgun? If so, there are many who have comfort level issues with that as well.

What are you looking to do?

Techres

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    This is very controversial to me. A person 18-21 years old cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer or alcohol in Indiana.

If a adult purchases a handgun for someone else that is 18-21 because they cannot purchase one for themselves, It is a straw-purchase and against the law.

A adult cannot sell alcohol to anyone under 21.

It is legal for a adult to sell a handgun to a person 18-21?

No wonder so many people get into trouble! :dunno:
    I wanted my post #250 to be a good one.

Last edited:

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    This is very controversial to me. A person 18-21 years old cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer or alcohol in Indiana.

If a adult purchases a handgun for someone else that is 18-21 because they cannot purchase one for themselves, It is a straw-purchase and against the law.

A adult cannot sell alcohol to anyone under 21.

It is legal for a adult to sell a handgun to a person 18-21?

No wonder so many people get into trouble! :dunno:
    I wanted my post #250 to be a good one.

As I understand it, federal law states that FFLs may not sell handguns to those under 21. However, Federal law does not prohibit possession of a handgun by a person under 21, and neither does Indiana state law.

Last edited:

Cricket Tickler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    An individual at 18 can die for his/her country but not legally purchase a firearm.
    I disagree with that law. I, on the other hand, do not know if I wold be willing to sell to someone -21yrs due to the simple fact that they still may have a mind like a child.

I have given my dl and ltch for a purchase but have never required it myself and probably never will.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    i have seen funny posts but these are hilarious but i want protection and just wanna not have my permit revoked so i will ask for signature and printed name pretty basic

You really had to go back 6 months to find a thread to help with your 50 post requirement...:D:laugh:

Top Bottom