• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Serious question guys. I have a snub, a small .380 auto with a wallet holster and a derringer I carry in an iwb holster. The snub rides comfortably in my right front pocket and the .380 does well in my left back pocket while the derringer is comfortable at four o'clock. I've thought about carrying all three because I don't carry reloads (too much stuff, not enough pockets). What are your opinions? Also, my snub is my primary choice of carry, this question mostly concerns whether or not I should carry one, both or none of the other two guns ( the .380 and the derringer which is a .38). What do you guys think? No, I can't carry speed strips or spree loaders at this time.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Sounds like 3 BUGs with no primary. I'd ditch the derringer and get a good quality fighting pistol as a primary. Then you can choose your favorite of the 2 remaining BUGs.

The primary needs to be carried in a quality holster on a belt designed for carrying a gun. This will free up 2 pockets and eliminate your "too much stuff, not enough pockets" problem, so you Gould even throw in a spare mag.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd ditch the derringer. You could carry a speed strip for the revolver or spare magazine for the .380 as easily as a derringer. If it was me, I'd make whichever one I could put 3 shots in the "A" box at 7 yards with the fastest my primary, get a decent IWB holster for it, and carry the other as a backup in an ankle rig or the wallet holster or whatever.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    personally If I carry 2 guna I carry bersa 380 in a leather belt holster near the small of my back and a 40 smith in a fobus paddle on my right. I figure 15 rounds in a 40 and 7in 380 is enough rounds

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I agree. Sounds like you need a primary gun to carry. I don't usually carry more than one gun on me, but my EDC is an XD45 with 13+1 and I have an extra mag in the car. If I did carry a BUG it would be my Ruger LCR in 357. A 38 or a 9mm would be the lightest caliber I would be comfortable carrying.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    +vamptepes! I like a 9mm Glock 19, right hip on the waist, Bersa Thunder 380acp, left hand hip IWB. Both work well, and no real bulge that a oversize T shirt, or flannel won't conceal. Winter carry allows easy pocket carry for a S&W 442 snub 38spec, vs the Bersa. All great combos.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    The problem with carrying multiple guns for the purpose of "reloading" vs carrying a spare mag or two is drawing another gun from deep cover will almost always be slower than just reloading your primary with a mag (assuming your primary is a semi-auto). I doubt those who carry a BUG for the purpose of a reload actually practice throwing their primary on the ground and then drawing the BUG. Much faster, and probably much more practiced, to just retrieve a spare mag and insert.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yes, you still have both ankles, twin shoulder rigs and Mexican at 6 o'clock. Don't forget appendix carry. Why stop now, you're on a roll?

Madmax

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indy Southeast
    Decide what you want to carry and get proficient with it. In an emergency situation, you react the way you train. With three guns, it is going to mess you all up...The adrenalin plays heck on your reaction to an emergency...When reality comes back, everything is already over...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I wouldn't say anything to dissuade you from carrying another gun (or two), especially if you don't carry a reload (and there are other good reasons for a BUG). Lots of good comments so far on how you might fine tune this.

I'll just encourage you by saying the practice is more common than many think. According to the following poll, 47.5% of INGOers carry a BUG at least occasionally.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-defense/227052-who-carrys-bug-how-often.html

And, another 12.2% carry a tertiary gun sometimes (that's a third gun for those of you in Rio Linda).

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-defense/236323-how-many-carry-third-gun.html

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've been pocket carrying a Beretta Nano in a Nemesis pocket holster for awhile now with a spare magazine in the opposite pocket. I recently acquired a Glock 19 and Safariland 7378 ALS retantion holster. I feel much better armed with an OWB holster on a good 1-3/4" belt and 2 magazines on the other side. I now have 3x 15-round magazines and one in the tube. I usually CC but I really don't care if my weapon prints or shows, though. Your mileage may vary, of course.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had a G27 for awhile and I found it a bit punishing for extended range trips but maybe that's just me. For me the G19 isn't much more difficult to conceal, is cheaper to feed, holds more rounds, has an accessory rail, and is an all-day range gun. It's hard to expect more from one handgun unless looks matter to you and you find Glocks ugly. I don't give a crap what they look like as long as they work.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've only been carrying since January, but its seems odd to me to even carry a BUG. Why not just have one primary weapon with a do-it-all mentality? Is it just me or why the exact need for a BUG except for WANTING to carry for the "fun of it" (maybe worded wrong, but i think you get what i'm throwing out there)

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    G19 on one hip, G26 on ankle, G17+2 mag on other hip. Sometimes switch the ankle gun for a LCR357 or LCR38, or a LCP in a pocket. Spare mag/speedstrip for them as well.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've only been carrying since January, but its seems odd to me to even carry a BUG. Why not just have one primary weapon with a do-it-all mentality? Is it just me or why the exact need for a BUG except for WANTING to carry for the "fun of it" (maybe worded wrong, but i think you get what i'm throwing out there)

Guns are tools, tools can fail. Carry the best quality tool you can afford, and a means to finish the job should it fail.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    2008-12-08-boondock_saints1.jpg

Top Bottom