• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So I was reading the manual to my Glocks, just for fun. It says in there you can shoot any type of ammo thru the Glock because they are just awesome and can take anything you throw at it. But to not use Reloads. Has anyone followed that rule, or has anyone shot reloads thru their glock? How did it work out?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Tens of thousands of people shoot hundred thousands of reloads through Glocks every year...

That stuff about not using reloads is just lawyer crap to absolve them of responsibility should a reloader overcharge a round and hurt themselves or the firearms.

-J-

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    if I recall correctly you shouldnt use cast stuff or non jacketed ammo, the poly hexaganal rifling doesnt like it and fouls.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I wouldn't shoot anything but factory ammo through a Glock if it was me.

Only way I will shoot anything else is if I replace the barrel with a Storm Lake, KKM or Lonewolf barrel.

I'm a Glock guy.... but I know Glock barrels have a problem shooting lead and can kaboom. If I'm gonna reload, I'll get a barrel with a supported chamber.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have never shot factory ammo in any of my glocks, I carry with Federal Hydroshocks, but I only practice with handloads. They are Berry's Copper washed 115gr. Never a problem and thousands of rounds. We do back off a bit on the powder, just to be careful. Ignore the hype.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Tens of thousands of people shoot hundred thousands of reloads through Glocks every year...

That stuff about not using reloads is just lawyer crap to absolve them of responsibility should a reloader overcharge a round and hurt themselves or the firearms.

-J-

yes, this just covers them from someone blowing their gun up with an improper handload. also if they find out you were shooting reloads then it voids the warranty. there is nothing wrong with shooting reloads as long as you know they are done correctly. the only thing i suggest is stick with jacketed ammo in a stock barrel.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    around 6 or 7 thousand reloads through redneckmedics and I's glock 19's.... 4.6 grains of HP 38 under a 115 copper PLATED pill.... around 9 cents around brass not included, maybe less.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Thousands of 125-grain lead reloads here through a Glock 34 with factory barrel. I didn't have any problems unless using soft bullets. Lead works well in my G-21 too.

I avoid shooting lead down factory Glock 40-barrels - I'm dissuaded by all the kb horror stories floating around the 'net (it seems that the kb problems are, by and large, restricted to the 40cal models).

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    - I'm dissuaded by all the kb horror stories floating around the 'net (it seems that the kb problems are, by and large, restricted to the 40cal models).

kaboom.jpg

I couldn't resist ;)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    In the first place, I have yet to see a mass production handgun manual that says it's ok to use reloads, every one I've seen specifically says not to. Which is less than useful, but that's the liability issue for you.

Glocks have a much looser chamber than some and while you can shoot reloads, it does tend to work the brass more than some other guns. Furthemore it doesn't have quite as much support at the base of the brass near the feed ramp, so that area can get worked more as well and is a weaker point.

Many, many people, myself included, have shot reloads through their Glocks. The biggest issues are leading and overcharged rounds, which can cause failure, but it's rare. Which is not to say it never happens or couldn't happen, but it's relatively rare. I put a Lone Wolf Barrel in my G20 not so much because I was worried about my reloads, but so I could shoot lead, and so the brass doesn't get worked as much so I can shoot it longer.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Have reloaded thousands of rounds for the Glocks in 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig, including cast lead. Now, I do use Lee's liquid alox and a harder cast while keeping the velocities fairly moderate. As for the over sized and unsupported chamber, I do use Lone wolf barrel for the .40 but only for thinking it will only make my brass last longer. I also find 9mm and the .357 have might tighter chambers, or at least mine do. I don't know about .45 or 10mm tho.

Top Bottom