• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I've never heard a real good argument for why people dont like .40. Price? Availability? If you have two bullets that are moving approximately the same speed, why would you choose the smaller bullet? Guns are expensive, so is ammo if you shoot a lot whether you are shooting 9 or .40. i say people like to get caught up in this crap, shoot both, find out what YOU like, and shoot it, Lots of people love .40, so to say you dont believe in it? Is it not real? Does it not put someone down? I personally like it better than 9mm, should i say i dont believe in it? I've heard arguments that police use 9mm as to lower the chance of killing the person they are shooting as to avoid bad press lawsuits, etc. I'm not making a case for either, i'm just saying it makes no sense to "not believe" in a caliber, especially one so popular

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I've never heard a real good argument for why people dont like .40. Price? Availability? If you have two bullets that are moving approximately the same speed, why would you choose the smaller bullet? Guns are expensive, so is ammo if you shoot a lot whether you are shooting 9 or .40. i say people like to get caught up in this crap, shoot both, find out what YOU like, and shoot it, Lots of people love .40, so to say you dont believe in it? Is it not real? Does it not put someone down? I personally like it better than 9mm, should i say i dont believe in it? I've heard arguments that police use 9mm as to lower the chance of killing the person they are shooting as to avoid bad press lawsuits, etc. I'm not making a case for either, i'm just saying it makes no sense to "not believe" in a caliber, especially one so popular

:popcorn:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I don't believe in using it for defensive purposes or even target shooting, so sue me. :D

Why don't I like it?

It doesn't have the capacity of 9mm and it doesn't have the power of .45 ACP. It's been shown to have the same effectiveness as 9mm with a good bullet (like Critical Duty). .40 has more recoil than both 9mm and .45 ACP. I can shoot and even reload 9mm for less than .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

In other words, it doesn't nothing better than 9mm or .45 ACP except increase the recoil and reduce the capacity (in the case of the 9mm).

If you like it, great. I have no problem with you liking it. But don't try to foist your love of .40 S&W on me. Don't tell me to buy a .40 S&W and shoot both. I've owned .40's and traded/sold them off years ago. I've made my caliber choices and I fail to see why this bothers you so. I didn't say "you shouldn't own a .40 S&W", I said I personally don't believe in using it. It's a free country, I believe I can choose what caliber I like -- I'm a big boy.

There's a reason you can find .40 S&W on the shelves right now but you can't find 9mm and .45 ACP... that's because it's not as popular as the other two, not that this ultimately matters. It's not a popularity contest.

The notion a .40 S&W will over penetrate and kill someone behind the intended bad guy is silly, IMHO. If a .40 S&W cleared the chest of a man it would lack enough power to deal a fatal blow to someone standing across the room from him. At best it would leave a welt... maybe put an eye out. I would be more worried about missed shots going stray than over penetration for most handgun calibers commonly used for personal defense.

The police are moving back to 9mm nationwide for the reasons I cite above. Most of the big trainers also run 9mm's on their personal guns.

The .40 was the result of a knee-jerk reaction by the FBI after the Dade County shootout. Instead of placing the blame on poor bullet design (the Silver Tip which in those days was horrible), they placed the blame on the caliber (9mm). They turned to a then new caliber the 10mm which was overkill. The Norma loads of the day were exceptionally hot and many agents found it unpleasant to use. So the infamous "FBI load" was developed which reduced the power of the 10mm. S&W saw an opportunity and developed the .40 S&W which saved 1/7th of an inch off the case, pud loaded it (as compared to the full-power 10mm) and the .40 S&W was born.

The FBI adopted it which then trickled down into the LEO community. When the police started picking it up, all the civilians wanting to emulate the police picked it up too.

We're now seeing people come to the realization the .40 offers nothing in terms of terminal performance advantages but does have some down sides, most notably the increased recoil and reduced capacity along with the higher cost of shooting it as compared to 9mm.

I stuck with 9mm because I knew the reasons for the mad rush to .40 S&W were flawed. Now, years later, I feel vindicated that people are coming back to the 9mm.

I see no reason to have both 9mm and .40 in my collection. Why would I want a 9mm and .40 Glock? I'll carry the 9mm so the .40 would just sit in the safe. If I want something bigger than 9mm, I'll shoot the .45 ACP.

I can reload 9mm for substantially less money than the .45 ACP and .40 S&W. That means I get to shoot more. Even if I want to buy ammo, 9mm is still several bucks per box cheaper than .45 or .40 S&W.

...you asked. :)

Now, go enjoy your .40 S&W. No one wants to take it away from you... except Obama and Feinstein.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Que, your the Matt Lauer of the gun world! You ask the tough and dirty questions and your interviewees cave to your questioning and spill the honest truth. Dare i say Pulitzer?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't believe in using it for defensive purposes or even target shooting, so sue me. :D

Why don't I like it?

It doesn't have the capacity of 9mm and it doesn't have the power of .45 ACP. It's been shown to have the same effectiveness as 9mm with a good bullet (like Critical Duty). .40 has more recoil than both 9mm and .45 ACP. I can shoot and even reload 9mm for less than .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

In other words, it doesn't nothing better than 9mm or .45 ACP except increase the recoil and reduce the capacity (in the case of the 9mm).

If you like it, great. I have no problem with you liking it. But don't try to foist your love of .40 S&W on me. Don't tell me to buy a .40 S&W and shoot both. I've owned .40's and traded/sold them off years ago. I've made my caliber choices and I fail to see why this bothers you so. I didn't say "you shouldn't own a .40 S&W", I said I personally don't believe in using it. It's a free country, I believe I can choose what caliber I like -- I'm a big boy.

There's a reason you can find .40 S&W on the shelves right now but you can't find 9mm and .45 ACP... that's because it's not as popular as the other two, not that this ultimately matters. It's not a popularity contest.

The notion a .40 S&W will over penetrate and kill someone behind the intended bad guy is silly, IMHO. If a .40 S&W cleared the chest of a man it would lack enough power to deal a fatal blow to someone standing across the room from him. At best it would leave a welt... maybe put an eye out. I would be more worried about missed shots going stray than over penetration for most handgun calibers commonly used for personal defense.

The police are moving back to 9mm nationwide for the reasons I cite above. Most of the big trainers also run 9mm's on their personal guns.

The .40 was the result of a knee-jerk reaction by the FBI after the Dade County shootout. Instead of placing the blame on poor bullet design (the Silver Tip which in those days was horrible), they placed the blame on the caliber (9mm). They turned to a then new caliber the 10mm which was overkill. The Norma loads of the day were exceptionally hot and many agents found it unpleasant to use. So the infamous "FBI load" was developed which reduced the power of the 10mm. S&W saw an opportunity and developed the .40 S&W which saved 1/7th of an inch off the case, pud loaded it (as compared to the full-power 10mm) and the .40 S&W was born.

The FBI adopted it which then trickled down into the LEO community. When the police started picking it up, all the civilians wanting to emulate the police picked it up too.

We're now seeing people come to the realization the .40 offers nothing in terms of terminal performance advantages but does have some down sides, most notably the increased recoil and reduced capacity along with the higher cost of shooting it as compared to 9mm.

I stuck with 9mm because I knew the reasons for the mad rush to .40 S&W were flawed. Now, years later, I feel vindicated that people are coming back to the 9mm.

I see no reason to have both 9mm and .40 in my collection. Why would I want a 9mm and .40 Glock? I'll carry the 9mm so the .40 would just sit in the safe. If I want something bigger than 9mm, I'll shoot the .45 ACP.

I can reload 9mm for substantially less money than the .45 ACP and .40 S&W. That means I get to shoot more. Even if I want to buy ammo, 9mm is still several bucks per box cheaper than .45 or .40 S&W.

...you asked. :)

Now, go enjoy your .40 S&W. No one wants to take it away from you... except Obama and Feinstein.

PWND..... Definition, of lol

And Que, you missed you're calling. You should have been a journalist.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So is Que the Face of INGO or do you other folks do videos too?

Other INGOers? Or other Mods?

INGO has quite a few members that put out some awesome YouTube videos.

As for Moderators, lovemywoods and I have done some video stuff in the past. But when it comes to the "Face of INGO" we gladly salute our pal Que. :ingo:

Great job Anthony and Tim.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    And GREAT ones at that! I applaud you for your fantastic answer regarding 9mm vs .40 caliber. I completely agree with all of your points. I'll quit dangling from your jock now and carry on...:D

So, you agree that the .40s&w is pointless, but feel the love for .357sig enough to base your login name on this site on it? WTF... Im lost on this one.

Opinions are great, but common sense reigns supreme.

Different strokes for different folks, just because you dont understand, doesnt mean others shouldnt as well...

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    So, you agree that the .40s&w is pointless, but feel the love for .357sig enough to base your login name on this site on it? WTF... Im lost on this one.

Opinions are great, but common sense reigns supreme.

Different strokes for different folks, just because you dont understand, doesnt mean others shouldnt as well...

NOPE! All of my guns are 9mm or .45. The "357" has to do with Freemasonry...see avatar! Oh, I own a M&P 15-22 and an AK as well. No .40 and no .357 SIG. Sorry YOU don't understand.

Otherwise, I'd have been "Smokin.357Sigs"...

Top Bottom