• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    JMB used "craftsmen"? So did Colt, Remington, etc use "craftsmen" when mass producing 1911s for two World Wars? This is the same crap I hear about the Gibson Bursts built from 58-60.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    JMB used "craftsmen"? So did Colt, Remington, etc use "craftsmen" when mass producing 1911s for two World Wars? This is the same crap I hear about the Gibson Bursts built from 58-60.

I always get a kick out of people talking about 1911's being used in two World wars... how much actual USE do you think there was?

People fight battles with rifles, pistols just ride along in holsters...

and are you seriously compaing the quality of those WWII handguns to the product put out by Wilson Combat?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    no, i'm not. i am well aware of Wilson Combat and his work, which is TOP NOTCH.

My point is that I dont believe 1911s requires "artisans and craftsmen" to run reliably. Not all 1911s are created equal. But I don't think you have to spend $2500+ to get a good one either.

That's the same stuff I hear ALL THE TIME about the golden age Gibson Les Pauls. They weren't built by luthiers or craftsmen; they were built by assembly line workers. And many of them were/are fantastic instruments.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    actually, the video is more or less pro-1911. Its shot at Wilson combat, talking with one of the WC employees about 1911s, as well as their 1911s. Granted, its pro Wilson Combat, which I would LOVE to own, but its towards the bottom of a big list mainly due to cost ;)

anyway, its NOTHING like his first 1911s suck video ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK, I watched it. I live in Speedway and a mag dump out back would be ugly at best. He must have gotten his A$$ reamed over the first 1911 video. A lot of sucking up and back peddling IMHO. Only dropped the "F" bomb 2 times.
    Some truth in the statement that some do suck. I have had a couple of entry level pieces and they in truth, did suck. 1st was a jamb-o-matic and the 2nd gave me my one and only (to date) AD. I have also been wittiness to all numbers of failures from Sig to glock and all in between. All are machines and will fail.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

My point is that I dont believe 1911s requires "artisans and craftsmen" to run reliably. Not all 1911s are created equal. But I don't think you have to spend $2500+ to get a good one either.

That's the same stuff I hear ALL THE TIME about the golden age Gibson Les Pauls. They weren't built by luthiers or craftsmen; they were built by assembly line workers. And many of them were/are fantastic instruments.

$750.00 will get you a Springfield Range officer. It is a well made and reliable piece. My son and I both shoot the crap out of ours. I have pieces that cost a lot more but these are just great guns for the money.
    Above a Springer TRP I believe a lot of what you get and pay for is in the name. No knock on Wilson, Baire (Sp) nighthawk and so on. I have shot them and enjoyed having a piece of gold in my grip but as to running, My Trophy match runs right with all of them. This is of course JMHO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always get a kick out of people talking about 1911's being used in two World wars... how much actual USE do you think there was?

People fight battles with rifles, pistols just ride along in holsters...

and are you seriously compaing the quality of those WWII handguns to the product put out by Wilson Combat?

Please do not forget Korea and the Nam. Both uncles carried 1911's all they way through both of these actions and used them to near death. Take that as you will. Those who had them in the crap used them. They used everything they had.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

A combination of parts that come together. The marriage either works well, is average or it sucks like anything else. It is the sum total of the parts and assembly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think he is sticking with his original statement of mass production 1911's do suck, hand crafted ones don't. And a 1911 guy even agreed with him.

Yeah but the 1911 guy is the sales manager for one of the leading custom 1911 shops in the country and a good friend. He is somewhat right. There is junk out there but It is not a gun just for specialized people anymore. An off the shelf mid range piece will run forever if just cleaned and oiled.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I find it funny that they mention tolerances, when glocks have some of the loosest tolerances out there. Anything will not work 100% if it is has parts on the high and low end of the tolerance spectrum, not just firearms.

Seemed like he was trying to save face, and that he was trying to make a plug for Wilson. I would rather buy one of equal price from a custom smith than buy a wilson. But that's just me.

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    So...After watching two videos by this all-knowing master of the gun I have came to the following conclusions:

1. Producton 1911's suck.
    2. Wilson Combat makes the only reliably functioning and accurate 1911.
    3. Those pimp-ass affliction/tribal print t-shirts do not breathe very well or are very itchy.

Top Bottom