• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubsfan1984

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm kinda new to guns ,only shot a few to be honest. I have a Taurus Millennium PT140PRO. I've been thinking about a 9mm. I checked out a Ruger SR9 not too long ago and it felt really nice in my hand. What are your opinions on say an SR9 compared to an XD. Based on recoil, reliability,etc. Thank you.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've heard from more than one person that once you get past the horrendous trigger on the Ruger SR9 that they're absolutely wonderful pistols.

I've only "dry fired" the ruger, and it indeed felt like you were dragging a stick through several inches of gravel.

Can't say as far as recoil; but it's a fairly substantial pistol, and the 9mm cartridge isn't really known as having brutal recoil anyhow. So if you put a "mild" round into a "large" pistol, I would PRESUME that recoil is highly manageable.

I can guarantee that the recoil on it is much less than from your PT140.

If you like the way the SR9 felt in your hand, see if you can locate some CZ pistols and hold them, too.

-J-

Oh, and welcome aboard!

varmint101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    From the ones I've messed with the they are hit or miss with their trigger. Heavy pull has been the norm of the 5 I've tried, but 2 of the 5 felt much lighter. They could've just needed cleaning first as these were at gun shops. Seem like a nice pistol, but again I haven't shot them so don't know about reliability.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Here's my :twocents:.

And this is not a knock about indy_guy_77's post, as many guns have "long" or "bad" triggers.

However, since you've stated that you haven't shot many guns before, you won't know what is or isn't a bad trigger.

It's like buying a new plasma TV after watching your tube TV for the past 30 years. You can head over to Best Buy and look at all the new plasma's on the wall all day long, and yes, some look brighter than others, but they're ALL going to look good in your house. Especially to you, because you haven't been looking at it - you've been looking at a crappy tube.. Plus, just like triggers on guns, every TV on that wall is set differently than the next (contrast, brightness, etc)

Having said that, we all have preferences. I don't like the idea of being one of the guinea pigs (buying a new gun recently released).

I have bias towards the XD's, some have bias towards Glocks.

Either way, get whatever you feel comfortable with, especially how it feels in your hand. If you like the SR9, it's the best gun for you.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Personally, I'd go with the XD 9mm, or the XD-M in 9mm. The Ruger SR9 has one fatal flaw for a gun that's intended to be used as a defensive firearm; namely the magazine disconnect safety. Without a magazine inserted into the pistol, it won't fire. Plus, if you dry fire the gun with the magazine removed, the striker drags on internal components of the gun, which Ruger says can cause permenant damage to your firearm.

Mag disconnect safeties are dangerous, because they create an even more complicated manual of arms - save yourself the trouble and get the XD, or a Smith & Wesson M&P, or a Glock.

sr9t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    if price is a issue it's a no brainer go with the sr9 I have one and would not ever question its reliability.Besides it's a better looking gun by far.You won't be displeased.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    I have held the SR9 and it felt good. Never shot one. I just bought a P95 though, and gonna go shoot it now. I haven't heard very many bad things about rugers. Good luck to ya. :)

Top Bottom