• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Here is an update on the alleged Purdue shooting that transpired last month. If you can make it through the entire article without saying "what were they thinking?", you are indeed strong.

Charges offer view into prank turned deadly | jconline.com | Journal and Courier

Charges offer view into prank turned deadly

By SOPHIA VORAVONG

A Purdue University student had previously handled a .45-caliber handgun that was used in the Aug. 22 fatal shooting of a friend, court documents allege.

Cory S. Lynch, 22, of Carmel was charged Wednesday in Tippecanoe Circuit Court with reckless homicide, criminal recklessness and pointing a firearm. All three counts are felonies.

He's scheduled to appear before a Tippecanoe County magistrate Friday morning. Contacted Wednesday, both Lynch and his attorney, James Bell with Indianapolis firm Bingham Hale, said they had not reviewed the charges.
    Lynch referred questions to Bell.

"This was a tragic situation," Bell said. "We'll allow the court process to run its course."

Lynch is accused of firing a handgun -- believed to have been unloaded -- at his friend, Landon Siela, 22, of Fort Wayne, during an apparent prank Aug. 22.

A bullet struck Siela in the throat, and he died shortly after at St. Elizabeth Central hospital in Lafayette.
    The incident happened at an apartment at 204 Wiggins St., near the Purdue University campus, that Lynch shared with Siela's longtime friend, William Calderon, 22, of Fort Wayne.

Calderon was charged Wednesday in Tippecanoe Superior Court 5 with misdemeanor counts of pointing a firearm and false informing. He's scheduled to appear before Judge Les Meade on Sept. 21.
    Tippecanoe County's online court database did not indicate whether Calderon has obtained an attorney. A phone number could not be found to reach him for comment.

Calderon is accused of initially lying to West Lafayette investigators about which firearm he was pointing. He apparently claimed to be holding an airsoft gun but later admitted to grabbing Siela's.
    An airsoft gun fires rubber pellets at relatively low velocities.
    The handgun Lynch fired belonged to Calderon.

According to a probable cause affidavit filed with the charges against Lynch, all three men had been drinking alcoholic beverages and were playing around with an airsoft gun before the fatal shooting.
    Both Lynch and Calderon said Siela had locked them out of their apartment as a joke and, when Siela went to the bathroom, they allegedly decided to give him a "good scare."

Officer Daniel Griffin of the West Lafayette Police Department, who was one of the first emergency responders, said Lynch repeatedly commented as Siela was being removed on a stretcher.

The comments were to the effect of "Why did he leave the gun loaded? That was so stupid to have a loaded gun."

Among the evidence recovered were two semi-automatic .45-caliber handguns, both of which had their hammers cocked and their safeties on the off position. An airsoft pistol was found in the living room.

One handgun, which Calderon apparently kept loaded for protection, had a magazine with four live rounds and a live round in the chamber. The second handgun, which belonged to Siela, was not loaded.
    Lynch told investigators he had grabbed a firearm from Calderon's nightstand and that he believed he "cleared" it first. He estimating drinking about four beers and taking three shots that day.

Purdue spokeswoman Jeanne Norberg said Lynch is still enrolled this semester and is a senior in the College of Technology. Both Calderon and Siela were enrolled at the West Lafayette campus in fall 2007.
    Siela most recently attended Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne.

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    My first reaction to the article this morning was, "Rule #1. Rule #1. Rule #1...."

Apart from that, my only other thought was that his family must not be destitute, if he's got a Bingham-McHale lawyer defending him.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Alcohol doesn't mix well with the following:

motor vehicles
    swimming
    firearms
    sedatives/painkillers
    sharp things
    ugly women

The outcome is never good!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    One .45 was 4+1 capacity??? That musta been a SUUUUUUB compact! And they had an unloaded gun? Why?

It pisses me off they had to comment about it being cocked and locked. :wtf: How else do you carry a 1911?

I do think it was STUPID of them to have their handguns out while drinking though. Let alone picking one up. I don't personally care if they had one holstered while drinking so long as they didn't pull it out. :facepalm: Douche bags. All of them. Now he has to live the rest of his life knowing he killed his friend. That's punishment enough.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    That's punishment enough.

It may be punishment but definitely not enough.

While I don't wish him anymore ill will than what the law will give him, he definitely needs the punishment for nothing more than as a 'message' to others...'don't be stupid with guns'.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I guess. I think the story in itself does that though. I mean really, some small time in jail, but don't throw the kid's life away because he will do that himself always knowing by drinking alcohol he couldn't control himself and shot his close friend. I hope he doesn't, but I wouldn't doubt a couple suicide attempts.

I'd rather see him travel to colleges telling his story.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This type of thing is a serious hinderance to carry on campus being endorsed by colleges. Stupid people ruin it for the rest of us.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It seems that the writer of the story doesn't know much about guns or the "cocked and locked" thing probably wouldn't have even made the story. Unfortunately the majority of the people that read the story probably won't understand it either. A tragic event brought about by stupidity on everyones part and unfortunately another black eye for the gun owners community:dunno:

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    he definitely needs the punishment for nothing more than as a 'message' to others...'don't be stupid with guns'.

Unfortunately to the majority, that message will translate into "guns are stupid". Again, most fail to pay attention to the idiot making the bad move, and more to the gun that "killed" someone.

I feel for the family that lost their son to the hands of immature youth.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I guess. I think the story in itself does that though. I mean really, some small time in jail, but don't throw the kid's life away because he will do that himself always knowing by drinking alcohol he couldn't control himself and shot his close friend. I hope he doesn't, but I wouldn't doubt a couple suicide attempts.

I'd rather see him travel to colleges telling his story.

What do you mean by "small time in jail?" He ended another person's life. Dead is forever, it isn't "small time." Why should he get to live a life? Some folks don't have the moral compass and base, and could live the high life not having a care in the world they recklessly killed someone. People use these sort of cases for "safe storage" mandates and others. If we took a hard line on this type of thing, maybe folks would subconsciously understand it isn't a good idea, because they could go away for a long time. I view this type of action the same as DUI, so I would argue the sentences should be similar.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Alcohol can lead to stupid decisions...

1216219187537.jpg.[roflposters.com].myspace.jpg

DWFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    This type of thing is a serious hinderance to carry on campus being endorsed by colleges. Stupid people ruin it for the rest of us.

I agree....to a point.
    "The incident happened at an apartment at 204 Wiggins St., near the Purdue University campus,"
    "A Purdue University student had previously handled a .45-caliber handgun that was used in the Aug. 22 fatal shooting of a friend, court documents allege."
    "Purdue spokeswoman Jeanne Norberg said Lynch is still enrolled this semester and is a senior in the College of Technology. Both Calderon and Siela were enrolled at the West Lafayette campus in fall 2007."
    "Siela most recently attended Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne."

The incident happened near campus, not on campus. Any "campus-carry" legislation would not have applied here. The writer seems overly intent on connecting the shooting to the university. The fact that the individuals were enrolled at Purdue is simply not relative to the shooting. Idiots are idiots; no matter what their education level.

RH822-A

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pleasant Lake, Steuben County
    It pisses me off they had to comment about it being cocked and locked. :wtf: How else do you carry a 1911?

It seems that the writer of the story doesn't know much about guns or the "cocked and locked" thing probably wouldn't have even made the story.

Read the article again, it says...

both of which had their hammers cocked and their safeties on the off position.

They're not slamming the 1911. They were trying to point out that when the police took possession of the guns, the safeties were off.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Read the article again, it says...

They're not slamming the 1911. They were trying to point out that when the police took possession of the guns, the safeties were off.

Very true, but they made a point to put that in the article. Why? A small minute point that had no bearing on the case and they specificlly mentioned it. :dunno:

Top Bottom